The IT field Thread

PW1

Sounds like the Aus IT market is the same as here in Switzerland. It's so frustrating the way companies and agencies treat candidates like fodder.

I also was promised a 2nd interview, and then got dumped without any explanation or feedback.

I'm hoping to move to Aus in the next 12 months, but thinking that buying a small IT support company there would be the way forward without dealing with any of this Australian experience crap they keep asking for.

Sounds like the Aus IT market is the same as here in Switzerland. It's so frustrating the way companies and agencies treat candidates like fodder.

I also was promised a 2nd interview, and then got dumped without any explanation or feedback.

I'm hoping to move to Aus in the next 12 months, but thinking that buying a small IT support company there would be the way forward without dealing with any of this Australian experience crap they keep asking for.

It's a fact of life, but that's the way agencies treat people everywhere, at least in my experience here in the UK.

When applying for contracts or jobs, "fire and forget" is the best method. Apply for it, then forget about it. Let them do the chasing - they will come back if they want you. Spend your efforts trying to increase your chances applying elsewhere.

When I phone around garages for quotes to get my car fixed, after i've chosen the best one, I don't phone all the other garages with feedback.

About buying a small company, that's probably a good idea. I'm looking at the job market and thinking the best way forward is to start a business over in Oz, doing what exactly I don't know! :P

Edited by itegoa

I now have a set landing date of 15th Aug in Melbourne, hopefully the agencies are not as bad as outlined above.

If anyone knows of any good IT agencies that deal with ITIL, Service delivery, BA type roles it would be appreciated :)

Edited by andrewajp002

I'm moving over next year to the gold coast, and I'm trying to network with fellow IT Managers \ System Admins and Techies from Gold coast or Brisbane areas on LinkedIn - can i ask for fellow professionals currently working around these areas to connect to me..................pleeeeaseeee - I have no connections:sad::cry:

au.linkedin.com/in/mmitchellgc

Edited by GoldcoastMAD

Hi Martin

Hopefully transferring with my company in the Summer (UK). Will be based in Melbourne, so not in the direct area. Have sent you a linkedin invite. I find it invaluable to use as a networking tool and use it rather than agencies for finding work direct.

REgards

Thanks Kevin, much appreciated...hope the move goes well

Hi Martin

Hopefully transferring with my company in the Summer (UK). Will be based in Melbourne, so not in the direct area. Have sent you a linkedin invite. I find it invaluable to use as a networking tool and use it rather than agencies for finding work direct.

REgards

Unfortunately it is just the way recruitment over here operates. UK might be the same now, but never was before I came here.

No consideration for the applicants unless you are shortlisted. Sure there are lots of applicants for each job, but in this day and age there is no excuse for a lack of communication. If you don't hear straight away, unlikely you will.

While expected from agencies, companies are doing it as well. I was told I would get a second interview after applying for a major company, heard nothing. Contacted the company a number of times (phone and email) with no reply. A couple of weeks later got the standard email that I was not successful (didn't even get the second interview). Other times heard nothing after a first interview. Awful really. Each time you invest time and effort, as you are expected to be 'passionate' about joining the company.

In my experience what Frozen says is not the case. I have been applying since October and saw many comments that Jan / mid summer was a slow time and would pick up after the holidays. Others say end of financial year is slow as new year budgets have not been finalized.

Also, lowering your sights may have the adverse effect. You will then get the 'over qualified' response (if you get any). I have applied for jobs that pay well below what I could get. But agencies/companies decide you will jump ship as soon as something better comes along. I wouldn't but they of course know better than you. I see the same jobs readvertised that I applied for. The agent tells me the person left - frustrating or what! Even then, I only apply for things I want and have the skills to do.

Do I sound bitter - course I do. Really I am just frustrated with it all. They say you should network, using job boards means you have little chance. You have to write the correct CV and cover letter. In other words all style and no substance. If you don't have those skills, technical excellence will mean little.

I would dump IT if I could think of something else to do and chuckle at the numerous reports of skills shortages.

Anyway, must go, have to check the jobs again.

We are heading to Melbourne in early August, but this does not fill me with Optimism :S

We are heading to Melbourne in early August, but this does not fill me with Optimism :S

To all you guys in the UK, don't be too quick to read doom and gloom into some of these replies (mine included). If you have current skills in demand and in the major industries (banks, health, cloud etc )you should be OK. I am older and have a vanilla set of skills (unix, oracle, application support) that are still around, but probably more subject to offshoring. Some big banks and other organisations use offshore companies heavily and you need something above the average. In the UK I had ETL in a data warehousing environment when DW were all the rage. Through the recessions I was never out of work. Stopped doing programming (as an analyst /programmer), big mistake.

To be honest the move to Oz was going to be a new start. Unfortunately we just got back into the 9-5 grind. I also realised I am a sad old git and have no hobbies or ideas that I can pursue for income.

Those who list specific skills, check out http://www.seek.com.au but just be aware it is always easier to have a quick glance, see a few jobs and think its all good. Often things come in cycles, you see similar jobs and then they don't appear. I suspect there is often one job and a lot of agencies. So like anything else do some proper research.

To me, LinkedIn is not used anywhere near as much as in the UK / US. I made a real effort with it for a month or so, but got fed up being the only one to post or comment. I did get a couple of good contacts, but nothing from it. The Brisbane specific groups are virtually dead. But as has been said often, In Oz word of mouth is probably the best way to get a decent role, I would say more so than the UK. I cannot believe some of the attitudes I came across, but just do a good job and after a year they might start to talk to you! Unfortunately I am crap at networking and with my lack of any in demand skills feel like its getting worse for me. I have done some online courses such as Udemy, but don't feel they are of any value without experience or certification.

If anybody wants to look at my profile / connect, feel free

http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidlapinit

Stop press - more helpful feedback on the latest rejection (al least I got an email):

We have thoroughly reviewed your application and feel that on this occasion there are other applicants who more closely meet our specific requirements

Edited by davlap

To all you guys in the UK, don't be too quick to read doom and gloom into some of these replies (mine included). If you have current skills in demand and in the major industries (banks, health, cloud etc )you should be OK. I am older and have a vanilla set of skills (unix, oracle, application support) that are still around, but probably more subject to offshoring. Some big banks and other organisations use offshore companies heavily and you need something above the average. In the UK I had ETL in a data warehousing environment when DW were all the rage. Through the recessions I was never out of work. Stopped doing programming (as an analyst /programmer), big mistake.

To be honest the move to Oz was going to be a new start. Unfortunately we just got back into the 9-5 grind. I also realised I am a sad old git and have no hobbies or ideas that I can pursue for income.

Those who list specific skills, check out http://www.seek.com.au but just be aware it is always easier to have a quick glance, see a few jobs and think its all good. Often things come in cycles, you see similar jobs and then they don't appear. I suspect there is often one job and a lot of agencies. So like anything else do some proper research.

To me, LinkedIn is not used anywhere near as much as in the UK / US. I made a real effort with it for a month or so, but got fed up being the only one to post or comment. I did get a couple of good contacts, but nothing from it. The Brisbane specific groups are virtually dead. But as has been said often, In Oz word of mouth is probably the best way to get a decent role, I would say more so than the UK. I cannot believe some of the attitudes I came across, but just do a good job and after a year they might start to talk to you! Unfortunately I am crap at networking and with my lack of any in demand skills feel like its getting worse for me. I have done some online courses such as Udemy, but don't feel they are of any value without experience or certification.

If anybody wants to look at my profile / connect, feel free

http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidlapinit

Stop press - more helpful feedback on the latest rejection (al least I got an email):

We have thoroughly reviewed your application and feel that on this occasion there are other applicants who more closely meet our specific requirements

The number of those I had in 92 Davlap. Would have been loads mate, standard wording I reckon. Don't give up though, I got a job out of left field. I had applied for something at one of the big hospitals in Perth in their IT department. Didn't get that job but luckily a guy in biophysics, who had their own small IT and design dept saw my resume, one of the small team was going on his long service leave for 3 months and they gave me a ring to fill in for him. It was the first interview I'd had in 5 months and they were a really nice bunch of people, almost apologetic when it came to telling me it would only be a 3 month contract. I was glad to just get back in the workforce.:yes:

It was a great place to work, interesting and with good people, 9 day fortnight too. My wife was jealous straight away. Through that I got a couple of contacts that the guys I worked with knew about. Got two job offers and took the wrong option.:laugh: My fault though. I took a job that involved my previous experience in Mechanical Engineering and mining and didn't enjoy the work one bit. I stuck it for a year and got a job back in IT and communications as soon as I could. Worked out well as I've been with the same company now for 22 years. Changed it's name and owners a few times but it's been good. Redundancy now would be ideal, would let me retire early and maybe join Bobj, he sounds too happy by far.

I've had a couple of mates who have taken early retirement so I'm sure I could find something to do every day.:cool: Good luck with the job hunting.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone had any luck applying for Australian jobs from the UK?

I only ask as we are heading down in August and would like to know how best to go about the job search from the UK. It's been really quiet so far, but perhaps I have been going about it the wrong way (tailored CVs and Cover Letters via LinkedIn and Seek)?

most won't take you seriously until you're actually in Aus but you can email ahead to make the contacts before you arrive. Where you headed ?

Melbourne, we'll be arriving around the 10th August.

I've spoken to a couple of agents and had one telephone interview (sort of), but nothing concrete so far. I see some forum members have managed to set something up in advance. Would be good to see how they managed this as it's not working as well as I hoped so far.

Chortlepuss, this could be said about most major cities, however if you are good then you will find work.

There may be many BA's out there but are all that good? Most cities inc Sydney and Melbourne will have reasonable paid work if you are actually good and not that you just have a good Resume.

Im not 100% confident of finding great paid work when I arrive, but I am good at what I do and I am fully expecting to find something decent within the first few months, or at least a reasonable one to start and then progress up.

Of course being good is important - but for generic BA, PM, Change Manager roles it's all about contacts. I work for a consultancy that keeps me busy with contracts because I'm reliable and deliver, but mostly because I get on with everyone and they like me. Loads of the work I do is a stretch given my experience. I was referred to them after asking around. Some excellent candidates are passed to us - and if the time is not right they are considered briefly and then rejected. Age discrimination rife here in Oz - advice to keep to last 10-15 years invaluable. Have never got a proper job via agencies despite being constantly praised on the quality of my applications.

Of course being good is important - but for generic BA, PM, Change Manager roles it's all about contacts. I work for a consultancy that keeps me busy with contracts because I'm reliable and deliver, but mostly because I get on with everyone and they like me. Loads of the work I do is a stretch given my experience. I was referred to them after asking around. Some excellent candidates are passed to us - and if the time is not right they are considered briefly and then rejected. Age discrimination rife here in Oz - advice to keep to last 10-15 years invaluable. Have never got a proper job via agencies despite being constantly praised on the quality of my applications.

Definitely best to avoid the agencies, but not really possible when moving out there without contacts. Which industry are you in?

Hi All,

We moved to Brisbane in March 2014, but I was fortunate to have a job lined up before we arrived.

My company is actually struggling to find IT Support (2/3rd line) staff so if you have a visa, are experienced in IT support and heading this way soon, then PM me your CV. No need to be in OZ yet as we're interviewing people from NZ etc via Skype.

I know it's tough finding work out here from the UK - I was fortunate as I had a good contact.

Regards

Sp4rkman

Hi All..

10 weeks into our Australian move and I'm still struggling to find work (to be fair we spent the first 3-4 weeks looking for apartments so they don't really count). I've applied for about 60 roles in the last few weeks and only been interviewed by 2 companies (Although in both occasions I got through to the final few candidates after several interviews each), despite easily having the qualifications and experience to do the roles. It does seem to me that the Australians really do prefer Australian experience over anything else. I was actually told blatantly that I had the best skills for the role, but they hired someone with Australian experience over me :(

The hunt continues but my optimism is flagging....

Edited by Swamps

Just to add some optimism, I was looking for 3 months probably and didn't apply for every job suitable but I have now been offered 2 jobs (like buses it seems) and I have accepted one.

I will say the process has been a pain and I could not understand the reasoning of some employers, one told me he would rather have a candidate with an MCSE and 1yrs exp than someone with 10yrs (for a 3rd line role at 'leading' MSP). I am currently re-certifying that has caused a major issue I think.

I have had some bad luck with recruitment consultants, most of them have been poor (no feedback, sent me someone else's feedback, sent me to the wrong office), in fact the ones that have been good have been expats themselves at some point (maybe that's why they looked after me).

As for applying for jobs from overseas, unless you have a skill that is in very short supply then I doubt you will hear anything back let alone get a role. However, don't let that stop you, never say never :)

Hi All..

10 weeks into our Australian move and I'm still struggling to find work (to be fair we spent the first 3-4 weeks looking for apartments so they don't really count). I've applied for about 60 roles in the last few weeks and only been interviewed by 2 companies (Although in both occasions I got through to the final few candidates after several interviews each), despite easily having the qualifications and experience to do the roles. It does seem to me that the Australians really do prefer Australian experience over anything else. I was actually told blatantly that I had the best skills for the role, but they hired someone with Australian experience over me :(

The hunt continues but my optimism is flagging....

Good news, I received a permanent job offer yesterday from a few interviews I've had over the last weeks. Very happy and looking forward to getting down to some work finally.