The IT field Thread

PW1

Hi All

I'm a MS SharePoint developer / administrator, also very clued up in IT service management and ITIL, anyone know what the job market for either is like?

I currently work as an IT systems analyst for a FTSE 250 bank in the city, hoping to move to Melbourne or Sydney.

Good skill set . Only know Brisbane market but I wouldn't think you'd struggle.

Thanks Chortlepuss, hopefully I should be able to get something good prior to going out, we will see. I have friends with contacts and found out las t night that another friend has contacts at Melbourne Uni which might be a good starting point if I can get something there.

Let us know how you get on. I'm in the same boat as you and would also like to line something up beforehand if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm asking this question on behalf of my fiance he's currently an assistant vice president of analytics at Deutsche bank (investment bank) we are currently thinking of emigrating to Brisbane, I'm a nurse we are just wondering whether there are job opportunities for senior management in an analytics role in brisbane and what sort of salary could he expect.

Hi I'm asking this question on behalf of my fiance he's currently an assistant vice president of analytics at Deutsche bank (investment bank) we are currently thinking of emigrating to Brisbane, I'm a nurse we are just wondering whether there are job opportunities for senior management in an analytics role in brisbane and what sort of salary could he expect.

It kinda strikes me as odd that someone at that kind of seniority, is looking for this kind of information on a forum?

why ?

I'm not implying she (or he) is lying at all, I just thought that someone that's a assistant VP of a department within such a global company, with offices all around the world (including Australia), would be able to get that kind of information from within the company (HR etc).

You also don't tend to get to that position, without making contacts within the industry that can give advice.

I could be entirely off the mark of course :)

I'm not implying she (or he) is lying at all, I just thought that someone that's a assistant VP of a department within such a global company, with offices all around the world (including Australia), would be able to get that kind of information from within the company (HR etc).

You also don't tend to get to that position, without making contacts within the industry that can give advice.

Deutsche bank has 1,000 employed in Australia in Sydney and Melbourne. I suspect they have very little in the way of back end IT, only local helpdesk support. Same as the company I work for, around 15,000 IT employees globally, 99% of our Asian IT is in India and China.

He's not that interested in moving abroad I'm more enquiring for him to see if i can persuade him.

The big global investment banks unfortunately suffer from grade inflation, so an Assistant Vice President (AVP) is very much a junior-ish middle management role. I'm former Deutsche myself and like the other IBs there were literally thousands of other VPs and similar numbers of AVPs, so I think this is a perfectly valid forum for veevee's question.

Unfortunately, there isn't much banking in Brisbane, besides the regional banks and smaller offices of the Ozzie national banks. You'd really need to look at Sydney/Melbourne for that sort of role. NAB and ANZ have some analytics roles in Melb, but Sydney would be your best bet. Deutsche have a big office block in Sydney, so an internal transfer might be a good bet.

If he has strong tech skills, there are some home grown international software houses in Brisbane, that specialize in financial markets. GBST is the most obvious example. Octopus deploy are another fast growing company, but they specialize in DevOps for financial applications if that would suit him.

The big global investment banks unfortunately suffer from grade inflation, so an Assistant Vice President (AVP) is very much a junior-ish middle management role. I'm former Deutsche myself and like the other IBs there were literally thousands of other VPs and similar numbers of AVPs, so I think this is a perfectly valid forum for veevee's question.

Unfortunately, there isn't much banking in Brisbane, besides the regional banks and smaller offices of the Ozzie national banks. You'd really need to look at Sydney/Melbourne for that sort of role. NAB and ANZ have some analytics roles in Melb, but Sydney would be your best bet. Deutsche have a big office block in Sydney, so an internal transfer might be a good bet.

If he has strong tech skills, there are some home grown international software houses in Brisbane, that specialize in financial markets. GBST is the most obvious example. Octopus deploy are another fast growing company, but they specialize in DevOps for financial applications if that would suit him.

Anything in WA, didn't find much in the way of financial sector in Perth ?

I'm a software developer, with no experience with or love for managerial roles. I work with both backend and frontend technologies, having more experience with Java than any other languages, but I can also work with C/C++, and I am always willing to learn new stuff (been reading about clojurescript these days, really cool stuff). I have ~ 7 years of experience, and I can brag about being the author of a small open source project, but that's about it. I have never spoken at a conference or done anything like that.

When my 189 visa comes through I'll be moving to Melbourne, so I would like to know what you guys think about my chances there. I am willing to move to Sydney if nothing comes through in Melbourne, but only if necessary.

Software Testing contract rates are getting low day by day. It was around 600-700$ a day at one point in time (5-6 years back) and now it has dropped to as low as 400$ a day, irrespective of your years of experience. Is it something wrong going on. Though there are plenty jobs in Testing in Sydney but rates are quite low these days.

Software Testing contract rates are getting low day by day. It was around 600-700$ a day at one point in time (5-6 years back) and now it has dropped to as low as 400$ a day, irrespective of your years of experience. Is it something wrong going on. Though there are plenty jobs in Testing in Sydney but rates are quite low these days.

Hi Ironman,

Just wondering if you would have any advice or contacts for picking up software testing work? Trying to get work based in Melbourne on a 417 Visa, however it's proving difficult, as they seem to want PR only.

Cheers.

Same with BA's... maybe just an oversupply of people in the market?

I'm planning to get out to Sydney as a De Facto partner on my girlfriend's (hopefully soon to be granted) 457. I am architect / developer / designer with over 10 years experience in Oracle and Java with Web Technologies (jQuery etc.). I am wondering what the general market looks like at the moment for these types of skills? In addition do you see it being an issue that I am over on a De Facto and not a PR?

Wow that's shocking I was on $900 a day in Perth and currently on £410 in Scotland....considering the cost of living I difference I really would be much worse off in Australia. I do think most IT people are better off financially in the UK - lifestyle? Well that's a personal choice but I didn't realise things had got that bad in terms of rates I was on $900 a day when I left in 2013.

Hi all

I am an ICT project manager and will be travelling to Sydney...I have been managing projects in Cards area (Banking and financial) and would be looking for positions in similar area. Can anyone guide if July would be good time to immigrate or shall I wait till JAN 2016 :(. Any pointers will help.

thnx

Nish

Hi all

I am an ICT project manager and will be travelling to Sydney...I have been managing projects in Cards area (Banking and financial) and would be looking for positions in similar area. Can anyone guide if July would be good time to immigrate or shall I wait till JAN 2016 :(. Any pointers will help.

thnx

Nish

July is a fab time, it's the start of the financial year so money is available to kick off projects.

January would be the worst possible time as it is holiday season, it'd be like looking for work in July/August in the UK. Temporary accommodation would be hard to find and/or expensive too and the weather would be awfully hot, much better to arrive in July and acclimatize slowly.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

July is a fab time, it's the start of the financial year so money is available to kick off projects.

January would be the worst possible time as it is holiday season, it'd be like looking for work in July/August in the UK. Temporary accommodation would be hard to find and/or expensive too and the weather would be awfully hot, much better to arrive in July and acclimatize slowly.

Hi,

I'm afraid i'll have to disagree with the above comments . The start of new financial year in Australa is not a good time to hunt for jobs.

Contry to what you'd expect, Australian businesses tend to refer their project spend to the start of the new year.

I'm a full stack developer, hands on team lead and Agile coach trained by thoughtworks. I have 10 years of successful London financial contracts, 22 year of experience in total and have run, owned and sold my own startups. like the poster above, I assumed that project spend would synchronise with the new financial year as in the UK.

My wife and I arrived in June 2014, having left a very lucrative insurance contract in London. Generally speaking my interview success rate is 95%+ , but I found the market in Sydney virtually dead. I got interviews, received offers but these were way below my expectations and experience level.

I networked with various recruitments companies (Most of the good agents are British) and soon discovered that the busiest time of the year starts pre-christams leading into January and accellerates post Australia day. The market then cools heading towards March.

I'd verify this yourself. Get in touch with companies such as the Hydrogen group or TRA global, speak to the agents, they'll confirm what i'm saying. If you'd like some introductions PM me and i'll hook you up with some contacts.

Good Luck with your plans

Paul

Edited by squarepusher