The IT field Thread

PW1

absolutely concur. I changed my resume to hide the fact I'm in my 50's and saw a real upturn in interest. I found it so hard to get roles as a contractor as even if I managed to get an interview (BA/Change management) was constantly told I was 'too experienced', 'would get bored easily' had 'more experience than the program manager' etc etc... I was lucky enough to find a consultancy that loved my experience and am now pretty much employed full time via them - Clients are really pleased when an older person turns up in a consultancy role.... It works for you not against you, and the Brisbane market seems much happier paying a consultancy $1500/$2000 a day for a resource than engaging someone with the same skills directly for half that rate.

Hi Chortlepuss,

based on what you and parleycross have said, I have created a resume without dates and shortened to 10 years. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Your other comments about what you are being told ring true for me (if I get a response!).

I am looking at Brisbane opportunities as we are thinking of moving up there, so based on my brief skill profile I gave before, would you think it would be useful to contact the agency you mention? If you prefer, then send a pm. Of course I would mention you in case there is any referral bonus on offer (if you give me your details)

Edited by davlap

Hi all.. there is a lot of talk from software developers and things like that, but what is the job market like in Melbourne for TDA types of roles? (Technical designer/implementors). I've got 18 years experience designing large scale enterprise solutions for customers world wide, from small 100 user installations, to complete enterprise solutions up to 150,000 users. My specialty is SAN storage (Netapp, HP EVA, and HP 3PAR), and enterprise windows AD solutions, as well as systems integration across multiple customers/suppliers. Lots of experience of working alone, or leading teams as required for each solution.

I know that the type of thing I do is fairly senior and likely not going to be many vacancies available, but I would be willing to do similar lower roles to get me into the Job market.

Any thoughts? I'm aiming for Melbourne, but would Sydney give better opportnities?

...to complete enterprise solutions up to 150,000 users.

Can you put some flesh on those bones? 150,000 users is a lot. Are we talking about 150k registered internal users of a corporate system, or some kind of web-based app where usage is measured as a function of hit count?

That is internal corporate users, not web based users. I personally designed and lead the implementation on one of the largest corporate internet gateways in Europe, providing proxy access and content scanning for 150k users across offices all over the UK, as well as designing several other internal services including Blackberry BES, remote access, and SSL content scanning.

Guest hoffer
That is internal corporate users, not web based users. I personally designed and lead the implementation on one of the largest corporate internet gateways in Europe, providing proxy access and content scanning for 150k users across offices all over the UK, as well as designing several other internal services including Blackberry BES, remote access, and SSL content scanning.

With that on your CV id be aiming at the consultancy's your skills could be invaluable to them

A corporation with 150k users? Go on, name and shame them.

150k users is a huge amount. I'd be a consultant if I had that experience.

Well, experience should be measured in intensity, not duration. Nor in user count. But it must have been a big project. I hope the claim can be backed up at the interview stage. We're still a bit light on the details in this thread. Hopefully it isn't subject to some NDA.

Well, experience should be measured in intensity, not duration. Nor in user count. But it must have been a big project. I hope the claim can be backed up at the interview stage. We're still a bit light on the details in this thread. Hopefully it isn't subject to some NDA.

Agreed within reason :)

They did state the following "That is internal corporate users, not web based users. I personally designed and lead the implementation on one of the largest corporate internet gateways in Europe, providing proxy access and content scanning for 150k users across offices all over the UK, as well as designing several other internal services including Blackberry BES, remote access, and SSL content scanning."

You cannot learn how to design and implement a system for multiple locations, with the spec that was stated, simply by looking at youtube videos ;) and therefore, to me, that is some good experience.

In regards to your comment regarding experience should be measured in intensity, not duration. This is not always the case ;)

In regards to your comment regarding experience should be measured in intensity, not duration. This is not always the case ;)

But very often it is. You see a lot of applicants who say they've got 6 years experience of Bla, and you assume that during those 6 years they must have touched upon features X, Y and Z. But it turns out they only used feature A mainly, and sometimes B. Whereas someone else who's been working flat out for 3 months may be very familiar with your problem domain and toolset. Of course, it normal to quote experience in terms of number of years, because the units are well known, but whenever I hear an assertion that someone is competent in a particular field, I find it always pays to delve a little deeper. And I get suspicious if someone claims to have "household name" clients, yet is reluctant to name them.

But very often it is. You see a lot of applicants who say they've got 6 years experience of Bla, and you assume that during those 6 years they must have touched upon features X, Y and Z. But it turns out they only used feature A mainly, and sometimes B. Whereas someone else who's been working flat out for 3 months may be very familiar with your problem domain and toolset. Of course, it normal to quote experience in terms of number of years, because the units are well known, but whenever I hear an assertion that someone is competent in a particular field, I find it always pays to delve a little deeper. And I get suspicious if someone claims to have "household name" clients, yet is reluctant to name them.

Agree with your point as I can relate to it.

For instance, I have 3 years full experience with Sage/Act, however that ended in 2007 and would not have a clue now, apart from the basics.

However, it's also the willingness of someone to work and learn that counts a great deal :)

Household name clients, then they bring our their NDA talk, seen that so many times! Meh

Edited by cava83
extra info

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Senior Recruitment Consultant based in Brisbane. I'm currently looking for a number of Developers - experience in languages such as C, Java, Python, VB, PHP etc, experience in being part of an open-source community and experience contributing to Drupal core or modules would be highly desirable.

Generous remuneration on offer.

Working for market leading Australian organisation.

Personally I'm also looking for - Product Manager, Project Manager, Community Manager, Release Engineer etc. There has been a high demand for BA's, DevOps, Solution Architects, and I'm always keen to speak to candidates with Financial Services Industry experience.

Please let me know if you are keen to find out more information.

• 2 weeks later...

Just applied for my perfect job (90% fit at least), that I have done for quite a few years on and off. Be interesting to see if I even get a reply. I have started calling back if I get no reply, but usually same response - others with a better skills fit.

Just an update, I did get an interview and got the job!! As is typical, the actual job is not much like the advertised position, but I am happy to have got in there. On contract on a lower rate than I would have liked, but not the big issue here. Already had one scare where I was on 7 days notice due to funding wrangling, but have survived that one. The project is likely to be supported offshore in 3-6 months, so a very precarious position. I asked some questions at the interview that they probably didn't want to answer, so it is not a complete surprise. Bottom line is, I don't really have much choice or other options as this is one interview in 4 months of applying.

Just an update, I did get an interview and got the job!! As is typical, the actual job is not much like the advertised position, but I am happy to have got in there. On contract on a lower rate than I would have liked, but not the big issue here. Already had one scare where I was on 7 days notice due to funding wrangling, but have survived that one. The project is likely to be supported offshore in 3-6 months, so a very precarious position. I asked some questions at the interview that they probably didn't want to answer, so it is not a complete surprise. Bottom line is, I don't really have much choice or other options as this is one interview in 4 months of applying.

Well done and thanks for the update. No job is always as stated :)

I've been for 4 interviews, but nothing either in 5 months. Which is frustrating. And I refuse to be an on the road engineer for $22 an hour, providing my own vehicle, rather work in a shop :)

What kind of IT are you doing?

In all seriousness, well done and congrats. I am sure you will be fine on your next job :)

Well done and thanks for the update. No job is always as stated :)

I've been for 4 interviews, but nothing either in 5 months. Which is frustrating. And I refuse to be an on the road engineer for $22 an hour, providing my own vehicle, rather work in a shop :)

What kind of IT are you doing?

In all seriousness, well done and congrats. I am sure you will be fine on your next job :)

I have been lingering here a little while and thought Id post. I am a Systems Engineer/Sysadmin, CCNA, MCSE and soon CCA with 5-10 of years experience and longer in IT in general depending how you count it. Been in Aus for just over 2.5 years, came to Brisbane early 2012 and had two job offers inside a few weeks, thought great this is too easy, the one I took was not "quite" the role I wanted but it paid well so I stayed and I don't like job hopping.

Approaching 4 months ago got laid off due to downsizing. I updated my CV which of course contained more experience and thought "no probs its a little flatter but I should have something inside 2 months".

Well this time around the experience is FAR FAR different. Been to 4 actual job interviews 3 for small companies and one for a contract roll. The contract roll experience didn't fit so no issue there. The other 3 smaller companies didn't state salary ranges and asked me what I was looking for which I gave conservative answers. I got the DISTINCT impression they were looking for candidates they could low ball as there is simply a LOT of competition out there atm.

I am a little tired of employment agencies posting fake fishing adverts and I am told its illegal, probably 85-95% of adds on Stuff are dupes or fishing adverts for their database. A couple of agency interview (not counted above) left me wondering what value they add to the employment process for a employer.

Approaching 4 months, apart from being bored out of my tree, I am really scratching my head. Re-written CV, re-written cover letter templates, started to apply for lower support jobs which I am likely overqualified for :huh: .

Guest hoffer

Hookturn - depending on the level of Oracle skills i may be interested.

Just in case anyone here has the skills I am currently looking for a mid level SQL Server DBA, needs experience of replication and all the generic production support skills you would expect. Based in Brisbane CBD i cant sponsor for this role so need to be in OZ already.

I am not an Agency i am a direct employer

Hi, I'm new to the forum just looking for a little bit of insight if anyone could help me please?

I'm from the West Midlands, England, me and my partner are going to moving over to Oz on a 190 visa, we're planning on moving to or around the area of Geelong, Melbourne.

I have a degree in Information Systems and unfortunately do not have any industry experience as of yet I have been looking for work as a system analyst up to now, but from gaining confidence and experience in my current role, I think I would prefer a more customer focused/facing role instead of the predominately computer focus role so am now looking towards Business Analyst roles.

I was just wondering what the Business Analyst or System Analyst job availability is like within Melbourne/Geelong area? and how would my current lack of experience affect my chances of gaining employment there?

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Thank you:)

I have been lingering here a little while and thought Id post. I am a Systems Engineer/Sysadmin, CCNA, MCSE and soon CCA with 5-10 of years experience and longer in IT in general depending how you count it. Been in Aus for just over 2.5 years, came to Brisbane early 2012 and had two job offers inside a few weeks, thought great this is too easy, the one I took was not "quite" the role I wanted but it paid well so I stayed and I don't like job hopping.

Approaching 4 months ago got laid off due to downsizing. I updated my CV which of course contained more experience and thought "no probs its a little flatter but I should have something inside 2 months".

Well this time around the experience is FAR FAR different. Been to 4 actual job interviews 3 for small companies and one for a contract roll. The contract roll experience didn't fit so no issue there. The other 3 smaller companies didn't state salary ranges and asked me what I was looking for which I gave conservative answers. I got the DISTINCT impression they were looking for candidates they could low ball as there is simply a LOT of competition out there atm.

I am a little tired of employment agencies posting fake fishing adverts and I am told its illegal, probably 85-95% of adds on Stuff are dupes or fishing adverts for their database. A couple of agency interview (not counted above) left me wondering what value they add to the employment process for a employer.

Approaching 4 months, apart from being bored out of my tree, I am really scratching my head. Re-written CV, re-written cover letter templates, started to apply for lower support jobs which I am likely overqualified for :huh: .

Think we are both on the same boat.

Agencies here somehow don't feel me with confidence.

Most don't get back to you. Which I find rude.

My CV is fine, my experience is fine, I could do with some more certs but we all know that is not true knowledge.

If push comes to shove, I will start up as something small and knock on people's doors.

There are some technical roles going around here, own car, no petrol paid for and so on, thought I would ask and see what the rate was, $24 inc SUPER per hour! Get the same money working in Burger king, no stress and food included !!!

Think we are both on the same boat.

Agencies here somehow don't feel me with confidence.

Most don't get back to you. Which I find rude.

My CV is fine, my experience is fine, I could do with some more certs but we all know that is not true knowledge.

If push comes to shove, I will start up as something small and knock on people's doors.

There are some technical roles going around here, own car, no petrol paid for and so on, thought I would ask and see what the rate was, $24 inc SUPER per hour! Get the same money working in Burger king, no stress and food included !!!

I play the game with the agencies as I have no choice but I genuinely think there is just so much competition in the market at the moment, companies are looking for perfect fits at bargain basement rates and they are getting it, if you are strong in 90% of what they are after its not good enough.

I agree, $24 an hour can be found in many low skilled jobs at a fraction of the stress. I just sat a new cert and likely to upgrade another, its really all I can do while looking. I guess I am just a little shell shocked as 2.5 years ago finding a job was extremely easy. I am noticing now the weeks are passing very fast which is a worry, another 2 months and i can be classed as long term unemployed (6 months).