Please stop saying there is work if you want it in the UK

Perthbum

cant quiet get this thread

there is plenty of work in the building game but now a days its who you know in your trade to get the work

as threads have said yes the prices are well down from a couple of years ago because of the eastern europeans but the bubble here has to burst as well, they are cutting our prices down to a minimum and where i am all the contractors are sticking together and saying stuff ya!! let them do the work and see,

from what i have seen so far there cheap prices equal crap quality, i have been approached recently by two big uk companies who i told about a year ago to politely to get lost to come back why!! because the undercut prices turned out **** quality,

this is a poms in oz site why are people moaning about the uk dont like it go oz try your luck never know

me personally, done the visa, cost a lot,done the reccie and decided can not afford to live there so sticking it out in the uk

bingo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sadiesmum
Have you actually looked for work in the last 12 months, employers can pick and chose these days and can cherry pick the most qualified, I promise you that is bloody hard to get any job these days, .......no chance in a supermarket or fast food outlet as my girlfriend has applied for at least 20 in the last couple of months.

I have been offered 4 jobs in the last 6 months, both part and full time, in sales and marketing. It was difficult to turn them down but I didnt want to take them with an impending move to Australia on the cards. I should imagine jobs in Supermarkets and food retail are difficult to get as they are unskilled, and to be honest the employer isnt going to employ someone that seems to need a job until something better comes along. But thats not to say that if you give the right impression on your CV (leaving managerial jobs off etc) and seem to have the right customer service skills in the interview that you cant be successful.

I have been offered 4 jobs in the last 6 months, both part and full time, in sales and marketing. It was difficult to turn them down but I didnt want to take them with an impending move to Australia on the cards. I should imagine jobs in Supermarkets and food retail are difficult to get as they are unskilled, and to be honest the employer isnt going to employ someone that seems to need a job until something better comes along. But thats not to say that if you give the right impression on your CV (leaving managerial jobs off etc) and seem to have the right customer service skills in the interview that you cant be successful.

unskilled workers ave very little chance of finding work in the uk no matter w at they apply for, people I know are desperate for work ad I know they have tried all the supermarkets b&q homebase etc etc without success, as I say there are. Hundreds going for every job advertised around the birmingham area.

unskilled workers ave very little chance of finding work in the uk no matter w at they apply for, people I know are desperate for work ad I know they have tried all the supermarkets b&q homebase etc etc without success, as I say there are. Hundreds going for every job advertised around the birmingham area.

What about jobs or carpenters and such like around your area?

What about jobs or carpenters and such like around your area?

Chip pies are struggling andy as there is no building work going on, I do a bit of maintenance and foreigners all legit your honour, but very slow, working in a pub to supplement my income, 12 months ago I had plenty of work but it as died with the economy and ths useless goverment that has stifled. Growth with its stupid short sighted cuts.

I think there's also a difference between finding a job, and finding a job that will actually support you and your family! In Bradford most of the jobs are part time and pay minimum wage..... and that's if you actually get it as most jobs have hundreds of applicants.

It's ok saying people should be willing to work and take whatever is available, but if you've got a mortgage to pay and kids to feed then a part time minimum wage just isn't going to go very far!

A couple of weeks ago my husband got made redundant for the 2nd time in 3 years. If he got another job over here it would probably happen again a couple of years down the line. Luckily he got offered a job in Oz a week later so hopefully things will be a bit more stable over there.

I think there's also a difference between finding a job, and finding a job that will actually support you and your family! In Bradford most of the jobs are part time and pay minimum wage..... and that's if you actually get it as most jobs have hundreds of applicants.

It's ok saying people should be willing to work and take whatever is available, but if you've got a mortgage to pay and kids to feed then a part time minimum wage just isn't going to go very far!

A couple of weeks ago my husband got made redundant for the 2nd time in 3 years. If he got another job over here it would probably happen again a couple of years down the line. Luckily he got offered a job in Oz a week later so hopefully things will be a bit more stable over there.

I agree with you, if for instance you are a roof tile earning let's say £160 a day and then you are made redundant or wok dries up, it is very unrealistic to then expect this person to go stacking shelves for a fiver an hour as that would never cover his overheads.

Chip pies are struggling andy as there is no building work going on, I do a bit of maintenance and foreigners all legit your honour, but very slow, working in a pub to supplement my income, 12 months ago I had plenty of work but it as died with the economy and ths useless goverment that has stifled. Growth with its stupid short sighted cuts.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it's not that long ago you were crowing that you were in full time work and had 6 interviews for a bar job to supplement. Am I wrong, or what's changed in such a short time?

cant quiet get this thread

there is plenty of work in the building game but now a days its who you know in your trade to get the work

as threads have said yes the prices are well down from a couple of years ago because of the eastern europeans but the bubble here has to burst as well, they are cutting our prices down to a minimum and where i am all the contractors are sticking together and saying stuff ya!! let them do the work and see,

from what i have seen so far there cheap prices equal crap quality, i have been approached recently by two big uk companies who i told about a year ago to politely to get lost to come back why!! because the undercut prices turned out **** quality,

this is a poms in oz site why are people moaning about the uk dont like it go oz try your luck never know

me personally, done the visa, cost a lot,done the reccie and decided can not afford to live there so sticking it out in the uk

bingo

Because there's millions struggling maybe?its a "forum",IE=opinions and thoughts to discuss.....

Plus not everyone can go to Australia for various reasons,one of which stopped you didnt it?

Or would you prefer to pretend that everything in the garden is rosey because its the uk?

why is this sad?

employers should get the pick of the bunch, and yes it is tough competing with eastern europeans, as they tend to have a good work ethic and are not afraid of hard work...

Agreed that employers get to choose the best, but there are plenty of hard working British workers with a good work ethic, and it was recently reported that Ed Miliband has stated that the previous Labour government was wrong to open the door to new European Union members to allow them to come here to work in the numbers that they have. Why is it acceptable for other countries to demand that their immigrants can only fill a need and contribute to the country in some way, but the UK can side line its own citizens for minimum wage labor form other EU countries they then get to come here and claim child benefit and be treated on the nhs whist our own people, some who really are in need, get their benefits cut and we go abroad and have to pay for everything and are entitled to nothing. Something doesn't seem right to me ( oh and before you say anything, I have always worked and never claimed anything)

I'm not sure if this is an original idea - but hear me out - how about not relying on other people and supporting yourself - how about starting your own business - work really hard and make it a success - I know it sound crazy but surely its worth a try?

Minumum wage still applies to eastern Europeans. They are just willing to do the wrk that alot of people are too well paid by hm government to do nothing.

That's only if they are employed by a company though and not working in the black economy, which booms in tough times. I'll bet there are loads of them working for cash in hand, paying no tax with no records of how much they are getting. Their circumstances aren't the same either, they will be lots of them sharing a house, paying minimum rent for a room and sending the money back to wherever their homeland is. Not doing the British economy one bit of good.

Have you actually looked for work in the last 12 months, employers can pick and chose these days and can cherry pick the most qualified, I promise you that is bloody hard to get any job these days, .......no chance in a supermarket or fast food outlet as my girlfriend has applied for at least 20 in the last couple of months.

Ever thought about emigrating PB...you might like Perth:wink:

Just reading this and thinking I'd love to find some employee's in the UK. I'm a manager and trying to get staff has been hard, I've advertised on the job centre etc had people ring or email for applications put hardly any back. We've been interviewing the last few months and some people just don't care, my deputy spoke to a few after the interview and they stated how they don't want to work when they can claim benefits and stay at home. Not the enthusiastic people I would want anyway. I have now employed 5-6 workers so fingers crossed they work out because recruiting is too hard.

Its not just me, other local business owners in the same industry are finding the same, we must just have a horrible career haha.

Well people would need to know what it is you are looking for and how much you are paying before making a decision on whether it's a horrible career or not. If you aren't paying enough to attract people to come off the dole then I'm guessing the wages aren't that high. There are some jobs around that some people just can't afford to take, it wouldn't pay their bills.

Hundreds going for every job advertised around the birmingham area.

How many of these applications are genuine though? My friend's just been recruiting in the UK, and a significant number of applications were from people who were just applying for jobs they weren't qualified for/not in their field, to fulfil the "actively seeking work" criteria for jobseekers allowance, while waiting for jobs in their field to become available.

I'm not sure if this is an original idea - but hear me out - how about not relying on other people and supporting yourself - how about starting your own business - work really hard and make it a success - I know it sound crazy but surely its worth a try?

Sounds great mate. Any ideas, or a few thousand to lend somebody with one. If only it were that simple.

How many of these applications are genuine though? My friend's just been recruiting in the UK, and a significant number of applications were from people who were just applying for jobs they weren't qualified for/not in their field, to fulfil the "actively seeking work" criteria for jobseekers allowance, while waiting for jobs in their field to become available.

Or were they applying for jobs they aren't qualified for or not in their field because they are desperate to find anything. I've been in the situation where I would have taken anything when we came here and had loads of replies saying they would love to give me an interview but I was over qualified or wasn't in the right field.

Or were they applying for jobs they aren't qualified for or not in their field because they are desperate to find anything. I've been in the situation where I would have taken anything when we came here and had loads of replies saying they would love to give me an interview but I was over qualified or wasn't in the right field.

In this case they were just waiting, my friend called some of them up to ask them...

Admittedly this was a skilled position, I'm sure there are plenty of desperate people applying for the unskilled jobs.

finding a job can be a job so 35 jobs applied for is nothing, you need to work and apply all day and call places. There are jobs in the UK and I can't see all this resession malarky as no one i know has suffered unless your a 16 year old without any skills. Most of this is used as an excuse, there is work if you are prepared to travel for it no doubt about it.

finding a job can be a job so 35 jobs applied for is nothing, you need to work and apply all day and call places. There are jobs in the UK and I can't see all this resession malarky as no one i know has suffered unless your a 16 year old without any skills. Most of this is used as an excuse, there is work if you are prepared to travel for it no doubt about it.

That may be so but i think as has been said the money on offer in a lot of cases would not pay the bills.

I must admit. I am a nurse and I had a brilliant job in Oz. I have been offered jobs here, but there are jobs and there are jobs. I did manage to find a job that I will find reasonable but I will definitely not enjoy it the same. It's the only thing that saddens me about coming home. I also am very disappointed that I applied for a perfect job which I have loads of experience in but did not even get shortlisted for!! I am talking loads of experience. :mad: Very annoying.

I must admit. I am a nurse and I had a brilliant job in Oz. I have been offered jobs here, but there are jobs and there are jobs. I did manage to find a job that I will find reasonable but I will definitely not enjoy it the same. It's the only thing that saddens me about coming home. I also am very disappointed that I applied for a perfect job which I have loads of experience in but did not even get shortlisted for!! I am talking loads of experience. :mad: Very annoying.

There is so little work in the uk, they say ther are thousands of jobs out there....where the f are they.....thousands of jobs but millions unemployed....do the Maths

Yep, apparantly I didn't get shortlisted for said job due to mass of applicants which is a total **** reason!!! Also it is verging on impossible to get a job if you are not trained in said field, like shop assisting.... you have to have been shop assistant for 5 years and done a course in it! So many applicants!!