Please stop saying there is work if you want it in the UK

Perthbum

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest marra2000

Got made redundant in March, got a 3 month temp contract staright away 2 miles away, last week they offered me a full contract. Turned it down and taken one of the 4 I got offered elswhere... whats your point ? Far to many picky folk in UK that thinks the state owes them something for FARQ all . Loads of work if people use what little sense they may have. Hope the Ozzies have a more get out and get it attitude .

I applied for a job as as a batman, 130 people applied fr tat one job, I have friends who ave applied for numerous jobs without success, a close friend who is 31 has applied for 35 jobs in the last year as a senior accountant, no job...pease don't tell me there are jobs out there because for every job advertised there are hundreds of applicants.

P.s what job do you do? Because I can tell you for a fact that there are no jobs in the building trade to be had.

Edited by Perthbum

It depends on what you do. Each persons personal experience and the friends they have will drastically effect there view. Plenty of work in the UK for me and my friends are all employed and some have changed employers with no hastle. One got the biggest bonus he has ever had a couple of months ago. So it is very subjective

Guest The Pom Queen
I applied for a job as as a batman, 130 people applied fr tat one job, I have friends who ave applied for numerous jobs without success, a close friend who is 31 has applied for 35 jobs in the last year as a senior accountant, no job...pease don't tell me there are jobs out there because for every job advertised there are hundreds of applicants.

P.s what job do you do? Because I can tell you for a fact that there are no jobs in the building trade to be had.

To be honest applying for 35 jobs in a year isn't a lot. When new arrivals come here I've heard that some have applied for 150 in 3 months. I think it does depend what job you are in, who you know and what qualifications you have.

Guest RichB

Sounds a bit like Oz to me..

To be honest applying for 35 jobs in a year isn't a lot. When new arrivals come here I've heard that some have applied for 150 in 3 months. I think it does depend what job you are in, who you know and what qualifications you have.

Blimey......

Figures released today saying that there are 2.6 million unemployed at the moment and I don't think that includes people in the figures for job seekers or schemes.

Wait until the Olympics are over and the cuts kick off.

Politicians are not on a planet. They are in their own little safe bubble detached from reality.

Figures released today saying that there are 2.6 million unemployed at the moment and I don't think that includes people in the figures for job seekers or schemes.

Wait until the Olympics are over and the cuts kick off.

Politicians are not on a planet. They are in their own little safe bubble detached from reality.

Sorry I'm confused r u talking about oz or the uk?

Guest tandcmum

my husband applied for many jobs in the last 5 years and couldn't even get a job stacking shelves, or working in maccas, we have been here 2 months now and he had to choose between 4 different job offers, could just have been the part of scotland we lived in, could just be that we are now in a regional area who knows but it certainly feels like the job market is much more boyant here than in the UK

Yes, I got up to over 130 applications this year before I landed the job I have just started this week. I honestly thought that I would never work again. I'm not a very practical person otherwise i could have gone for jobs like barman or barista which always seem to be advertised around Sydney.

It's a strange phenomenon that people in work that aren't that desperate for a job always feel like there is plenty of work around. For the people who are out of work and desperate to find a job it's the opposite. Especially in a recession and when times are tough.

I went through a couple of tough periods in the UK. First couple I was in work and couldn't understand what everyone out of work was complaining about. Things got cheaper everywhere, like at the moment, and if your in work when a recession is on it's great. Then I got made redundant from a job when newly married with the first kid and first mortgage, during a bad time in the UK. I was worried then I'll tell you and realised how hard it is when you are desperate for a job to actually find one. I was applying for anything and everything.

I knew a few people and got a job pretty quickly through them. I've seen a few negative posts about Aus recently about "it's not what you know it's who you know" well that's the same the world over, if you know of a job that's going and have a mate who would fit the bill, wouldn't you mention it to them, no matter where you live?

There are always going to be pockets in the UK and certain prefessions that are going to be affected less than others but to make a sweeping statement that "there's plenty of work for them that wants it" is crap.

Hubbie is in the building trade and has no problems finding work it is out there but the money isn't as good as it was 3-4 years ago. There are jobs in the UK but people can't pick and choose, sometimes you just have to take what you can get then keep applying for jobs you want until you get there.

It took me nine months to get another job despite qualifications and experience in many different fields. I found that many of the jobs went to the 'minorities' ie ethnic or gender. Giving receptionist jobs to young male school leavers because it ticks the boxes and giving firefighting jobs to ethnic minority women over more qualified males is just not on. But unfortunately that is what this country is doing.

My husband is facing losing his business in carpentry because there is no work and companies are paying 'cowboys' to do the bulk of the work cheap and then employ competent trades to snag the jobs when they are finished. We would move tomorrow, we have validated our visas - just have to wait for daughter to finish A-levels then we are off.

Got made redundant in March, got a 3 month temp contract staright away 2 miles away, last week they offered me a full contract. Turned it down and taken one of the 4 I got offered elswhere... whats your point ? Far to many picky folk in UK that thinks the state owes them something for FARQ all . Loads of work if people use what little sense they may have. Hope the Ozzies have a more get out and get it attitude .

Theres approx 4 to 500 thousand "so called" jobs at any one time,and 2.6 mill on the dole so how does that work?

What your saying is that everybody who is out of work through choice or because theyre too thick to find it,is that it?

I had one 4 month period were i had 4 days work,im not thick and i was desperate for work,so which envelope do i fit in?

Btw,half of these "jobs" advertised are agency,part time and commision based scams where people end up working for free practically

Jobs are getting harder to come by, there are jobs still being advertised but a lot seem to be temp jobs or part time jobs. In my work place which would appear to be safe in the recession (still achieving year on year growth) they are making cut backs to staff, by not re-recuriting staff who leave. I also think it depends on what area you live in as I have had friends find work easy in one area of the country and then struggle in other areas.

Hubbie is in the building trade and has no problems finding work it is out there but the money isn't as good as it was 3-4 years ago. There are jobs in the UK but people can't pick and choose, sometimes you just have to take what you can get then keep applying for jobs you want until you get there.

but even the crap jobs have about 100 applicants for every job. a barman was easy to get years ago but today there are hundreds for every job in a pub.

It took me nine months to get another job despite qualifications and experience in many different fields. I found that many of the jobs went to the 'minorities' ie ethnic or gender. Giving receptionist jobs to young male school leavers because it ticks the boxes and giving firefighting jobs to ethnic minority women over more qualified males is just not on. But unfortunately that is what this country is doing.

My husband is facing losing his business in carpentry because there is no work and companies are paying 'cowboys' to do the bulk of the work cheap and then employ competent trades to snag the jobs when they are finished. We would move tomorrow, we have validated our visas - just have to wait for daughter to finish A-levels then we are off.

what utter TOSH! and drivel, this is not so,

and what about here when they announce mining jobs will go to aussies only, blatantly printed in papers,

Different strokes for different folks. Others for no fault of their own may/do not have your success rate at getting a job. Gloating at your success will probably not endear you to the Brits who are finding it tough.