Moving back to uk from perth in 1 month

Hayley723

Guest rayman1

We moved back 2 years ago from Brisbane. Only there 6 months but experienced and felt like yourselves. It was hard at first because wife didn't want to give up so soon but we have got back on our feet. Wife has a better job than before, kids back on track with education and I have changed career for one I now love. We prob lose in the region of £25000 but such is life. I will be honest and say we are not financially as comfortable as before the move but appreciate things differently and do different things now. Good luck, fingers crossed for you and things will work out in time.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post Hayley. We have been weighing up the costs, doing the analysis and research and have done for 3 odd years and the figures just don't add up at the moment. Your post is my very worst nightmare. We can secure a future more readily for the kids here in the UK because we would save ourselves a lot of money, which we can use for them; something we couldn't if we went. Our dream is rapidly disappearing. We will be making a final decision soon but weighing up the life we;ve got here, on paper we would be mad to move - doesn't make it easier though. Good luck with your futures.

Depends what you do for a living, what age your kids are, would you both work? There are other factors to the expense side. Very little heating/cooling costs, petrol half the price of the UK, very little spent on clothing, shoes etc. compared to the UK. If it's been your dream for so long I would still give it a go, especially if you've got the visa. There are far more people who have settled successfully and love it here than ones who run into problems and return.

Blinking hell. I read so many reports on here and Perth Poms about the cost of living and social life, that its putting me off going to Perth.

People going on about how hard and ignorant the ozzies are to get on with, how expensive every thing is compared to wages.

We are supposed to be going to Perth this year on 457 visa. Me, partner and two kids. The reason for this is basically to get a job as there aint nothing over here in my trade, and ive been offered same type of work in perth.

Getting worried now. Shipping things over, $4000, selling my car and making big loss on it, selling other large items which i will make a loss and probarbly never be able to purchase again.

Bloody UK recession and **** weather. Decisions decisions decisions. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm:animal-bat:

Don't be put off by a few posts mate. For every person going back there is a queue trying to get in and even more who are perfectly happy here. Just because it hasn't worked out for a few people doesn't mean that you will be in the same boat.

Don't be put off by a few posts mate. For every person going back there is a queue trying to get in and even more who are perfectly happy here. Just because it hasn't worked out for a few people doesn't mean that you will be in the same boat.

And to add to Paul's comment, by having a job to go to, you won't have the added stress of worrying where the money will come from. Already having a work offer will make things a lot easier for you.

Hi Haley

You have answered all my worst fears,and it has given me more food for thought before I sell up all my worldly goods to live in Perth,Australia, I'm not of a 'working age' its my family that have moved out there and want me to live with them,I did visit with them last year and found that there wasnt the social side of life that I thought would be for expats, I have a busy social life here in England and feel totally sane at the moment,but after experiencing a taster for the 'good life' that we hear about in Oz, I am now wondering if I would be doing the right thing by living there permantly, I have posted a couple of times on this forum regarding making new friends but had no feed back, a little like you with your job interviews!!! Now I know how the land lays would it be the same on my return or to start out again to look into finding friends?

I am sure that you and your family will be happy back home in the UK even though the economy isnt all that great at the moment, it's a place where your hearts need to be. You've been and seen and you have gained another experience of another lifestyle.

Good luck.

I despair of Oz sometimes at the moment - the mining, two speed economy as so many people are getting hurt whilst a few get richer and the workers go demented with long hours away from families. How this country is being taken over by mining in areas that are some of the most beautiful places on earth. How farmers apparently cannot stop mining companies moving onto their properties because although they have legally owned the land, sometimes for generations, they apparently don’t own what is underneath their top soil! Plus how hot and bothered we get here over a few refugees when the rest of the world does so much more for them.

We have been back several times for holidays and when we were leaving for one trip I bought a CD of 'I call Australia Home' to take with me and wondered how I'd cope being away from Oz for 2 months. I have been so happy here for so long, so proud to be an Aussie, so patriotic. That feeling diminished when Howard was our PM and has gradually disappeared since! Now I get frustrated with the narrow minded attitudes.

Some of the worst people oddly enough are those that came in as 10 pound Poms who know more tricks than most people in Government about how to rort the system, how to get freebies eg 2 lots of grants of $3000 each within 3 months for teeth and moan most about refugees who they call 'illegal immigrants'. I write to a genuine refugee - he's been stuck in a camp since a kid and he's still there after 30 years of waiting on the non-existent 'lists' but will these people listen when I ask them to imagine themselves in that situation and would they take a chance on a boat or I remind them that hundreds turn up at airports yet we never hear anything about them so nobody moans about them - No, they've made up their minds as they have about everything so don't want to hear.

We seem to have become a nation split into two – the people who give and people who take. It's probably the same in UK now but Australians used to be unique in my mind – ‘mateship’ was paramount, helping your neighbour, a feeling of 'We're in this together', 'battlers' in the very best meaning of the word, worldly even though not so many people travelled. Now I feel we are insular, transient, bigger is better, beat the system type of people and I include myself in this. I know I have changed and I want to find my old self. It was our last trip home that tripped me up and flattened me out and made me realise what and who I had become and I didn't like that person! So, we return to loving family who I have happily lived apart from all these years, I may well return but only because my 3 adult children are here and I hope my journey back will take me to the roots within me and I will become a better person for it. Would I recommend Australia now? I would say it is beautiful and having travelled widely it is in my sole but would I choose it if I had my time over - no, I wouldn't and my biggest regret is that my children did not get raised surrounded by their aunts and uncles and cousins in UK. They also regret it. And my true friends after 31 years here – they all live in UK!

I despair of Oz sometimes at the moment - the mining, two speed economy as so many people are getting hurt whilst a few get richer and the workers go demented with long hours away from families. How this country is being taken over by mining in areas that are some of the most beautiful places on earth. How farmers apparently cannot stop mining companies moving onto their properties because although they have legally owned the land, sometimes for generations, they apparently don’t own what is underneath their top soil! Plus how hot and bothered we get here over a few refugees when the rest of the world does so much more for them.

We have been back several times for holidays and when we were leaving for one trip I bought a CD of 'I call Australia Home' to take with me and wondered how I'd cope being away from Oz for 2 months. I have been so happy here for so long, so proud to be an Aussie, so patriotic. That feeling diminished when Howard was our PM and has gradually disappeared since! Now I get frustrated with the narrow minded attitudes.

Some of the worst people oddly enough are those that came in as 10 pound Poms who know more tricks than most people in Government about how to rort the system, how to get freebies eg 2 lots of grants of $3000 each within 3 months for teeth and moan most about refugees who they call 'illegal immigrants'. I write to a genuine refugee - he's been stuck in a camp since a kid and he's still there after 30 years of waiting on the non-existent 'lists' but will these people listen when I ask them to imagine themselves in that situation and would they take a chance on a boat or I remind them that hundreds turn up at airports yet we never hear anything about them so nobody moans about them - No, they've made up their minds as they have about everything so don't want to hear.

We seem to have become a nation split into two – the people who give and people who take. It's probably the same in UK now but Australians used to be unique in my mind – ‘mateship’ was paramount, helping your neighbour, a feeling of 'We're in this together', 'battlers' in the very best meaning of the word, worldly even though not so many people travelled. Now I feel we are insular, transient, bigger is better, beat the system type of people and I include myself in this. I know I have changed and I want to find my old self. It was our last trip home that tripped me up and flattened me out and made me realise what and who I had become and I didn't like that person! So, we return to loving family who I have happily lived apart from all these years, I may well return but only because my 3 adult children are here and I hope my journey back will take me to the roots within me and I will become a better person for it. Would I recommend Australia now? I would say it is beautiful and having travelled widely it is in my sole but would I choose it if I had my time over - no, I wouldn't and my biggest regret is that my children did not get raised surrounded by their aunts and uncles and cousins in UK. They also regret it. And my true friends after 31 years here – they all live in UK!

I agree that Howard and his cronies have had a toxic effect on this nation's attitudes towards 'outsiders', and to think it was largely engineered and calculated to make people afraid of 'illegal immigrants' and boat people.

I know lots of Aussies who aren't anything like the way you describe fizzybangs. They are broadminded, well travelled, well educated and not insular. Those are the Aussies I relate to. Luckily one of them is my wife! We intend to bring our kids up in a similar vein. I despise cronyism, the 'who you know' mentality rather than taking people on merit, insularity, and I really really hate celebrating mediocrity, which Australia often does through trash media.

Hi Hayley , sorry things haven't worked out for you. I remember when you got your visas and how excited you were to get there, you had even moved in with the In laws whilst you waited for your visa. I remember how disappointed you were when it nearly wasn't granted. At least you've given it a go rather than sit at home and wonder what if. Pm me if your hubby is interested in a bit of work on your return. Good luck with the packing.

Yes Shirley we had a nightmare with the visa & we feel like it now is all for nothing but we would stay & fight if it was what we all really wanted as we all went through such heartache to get here. We will have to go back to live with the in laws aswell until we get jobs then try & get a rental its all a nightmare!

I have pm u about work. R u planning on moving to oz soon?

Thanks everyone for your kind messages we will be glad when were all settled & dreading the fact that we have to look for a rental & jobs but we feel that its the best decision for all of us. Please dont let me put others off moving to Australia. This is our personal experience here which hasnt worked out but everyone is different, Australia is a beautiful place.

Thanks everyone for your kind messages we will be glad when were all settled & dreading the fact that we have to look for a rental & jobs but we feel that its the best decision for all of us. Please dont let me put others off moving to Australia. This is our personal experience here which hasnt worked out but everyone is different, Australia is a beautiful place.

Where abouts in the midlands are you hoping to re-settle?

x

And to add to Paul's comment, by having a job to go to, you won't have the added stress of worrying where the money will come from. Already having a work offer will make things a lot easier for you.

I totally agree aswell I think if you have a job to go to that is half the battle as there is already guaranteed income. Although its prob harder a employer sponsorship visa is def the way forward.

Where abouts in the midlands are you hoping to re-settle?

x

We are going to Rowley Regis, just by oldbury outside Birmingham, it is where my hubbys family live as we will be staying with them for a month or so (not any longer than that hopefully or ill be on the plane back to oz!!lol!) find jobs then get a rental until we can buy somewhere. It all sounds so easy but we know it will be far from easy & we are already having sleepless nights about what we have got ahead of us. We lived in Netherton, Dudley before we emigrated but my son has insisted that he doesnt want to return to the same school as he said it will be embarrassing!! I didnt think kids thought like that! We do feel awful about globe trotting with them as it must be so hard for them starting new schools & having to make new friends but we know its the right thing to do for us & in the long run they will appreciate being back around their nan & grandad. Plus they can always say they experienced living in Australia & the 'what if' will be gone from our minds!

It goes a long way to explaining why I caution people coming here who think they will work in mining and everything will be wonderful. It isn't a career for everyone or even most.

As for Oz generally, my wife was at a health session today and it was mentioned that Oz has the highest rate of mental health problems in the industrialized world. Later we were chatting about why this might be. My conclusion is that so many are unhappy. Never seen such a group of unfriendly people after living and working in countries around the world

It goes a long way to explaining why I caution people coming here who think they will work in mining and everything will be wonderful. It isn't a career for everyone or even most.

As for Oz generally, my wife was at a health session today and it was mentioned that Oz has the highest rate of mental health problems in the industrialized world. Later we were chatting about why this might be. My conclusion is that so many are unhappy. Never seen such a group of unfriendly people after living and working in countries around the world

That's a very narrowed viewpoint! I understand some people are unhappy - you can see that just from reading some of the posts on here but I don't thinks that's the majority and I definitely don't agree with the unfriendly comment. I - and most of the other migrants I know - have been made extremely welcome.

Really? I find the opposite, I find it the most friendly place I have been and everyone has made us feel really welcome. In the UK I found most people to be miserable, moody and unfriendly compared to here...

We are going to Rowley Regis, just by oldbury outside Birmingham, it is where my hubbys family live as we will be staying with them for a month or so (not any longer than that hopefully or ill be on the plane back to oz!!lol!) find jobs then get a rental until we can buy somewhere. It all sounds so easy but we know it will be far from easy & we are already having sleepless nights about what we have got ahead of us. We lived in Netherton, Dudley before we emigrated but my son has insisted that he doesnt want to return to the same school as he said it will be embarrassing!! I didnt think kids thought like that! We do feel awful about globe trotting with them as it must be so hard for them starting new schools & having to make new friends but we know its the right thing to do for us & in the long run they will appreciate being back around their nan & grandad. Plus they can always say they experienced living in Australia & the 'what if' will be gone from our minds!

Best of luck hayley, I'm sure it will all work out with time. Don't worry about what people say, I have found everyone to be positive and say " at least you had a go"

Guest rbell11
Blinking hell. I read so many reports on here and Perth Poms about the cost of living and social life, that its putting me off going to Perth.

People going on about how hard and ignorant the ozzies are to get on with, how expensive every thing is compared to wages.

We are supposed to be going to Perth this year on 457 visa. Me, partner and two kids. The reason for this is basically to get a job as there aint nothing over here in my trade, and ive been offered same type of work in perth.

Getting worried now. Shipping things over, $4000, selling my car and making big loss on it, selling other large items which i will make a loss and probarbly never be able to purchase again.

Bloody UK recession and **** weather. Decisions decisions decisions. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm:animal-bat:

Hi can't speak fpr everyone but for us - you seriously need to think before coming over , yes beautiful beaches but the cost of living here is crazy !!! and i mean crazy !!! we are returning to UK in few months as no quality of life here just working to survive a basic day to day living - we have spent thousands coming here put daughter in private scaool 9000 per year and the education is awful not a patch on her old school, rental of properties is madness - very very expensive we pay over 2000 per month and have no pool etc..... sorry if this seems all negative but just being honest as think you should know so many people returning to Uk as can't afford to live here and that is a fact - please not writting this for the sake of it but as someone who has spent thousands moving here and even more to return and will be left in debt - please please do your research hard and well before coming for your families sake

A really thought-provoking post Fizzybangs. Like you, I fear for what the 'get rich quick' culture inspired by the mining boom will impact upon the country as my daughter grows up here. When we lived in the UK my partner and our Australian friends always cited Australia as a country where those now old-fashioned values of fairness, neighbourliness and independence were still intact, a kind of throw-back to a more easy-going, less competitive era. Sadly, in my experience, Australia, like everywhere else it seems, is a highly competitive country where there is a growing gap between rich and poor. In some ways I am more often confronted with this than most people as I work for a homeless charity in Melbourne and so I see evidence of a growing underclass on a daily basis, whilst living myself in an affluent suburb where house prices are eye-wateringly high.

Trying to find accommodation for homeless people in the city is increasingly tough and The Age newspaper recently ran a story about how there are now over 1400 rooming houses in Melbourne where people who cannot afford private rental are housed. These are truly desperate places full of vulnerable adults and increasingly, young families, who pay up to $200 a week to share kitchen and bathroom facilities with strangers. It's a frequent litany of complaint from our clients that this accommodation is unsafe, uncomfortable and run by slum landlords who'll intimidate them or kick them out if they dare complain. And these proprietors are making big money, often cramming 8 single people into a room and charging $140 a week each for the privilege. Making money out of other people's misery.

Speak to my clients about the notion of the fair go and they'll look at you blankly. Plenty of them have worked for decades and paid into a system which has failed them. Men who've worked in hard manual labouring jobs have been discarded when they reached their 50's and their bodies can't take the punishment anymore, and increasingly, single women in their late 40's and 50's who are constantly passed over for employment because they're seen as expensive or risky appointments by employers looking for a cheaper, more compliant work-force. They're caught in a perfect storm of rising rents, growing population (estimates have it that Victoria will grow by 1.7 million people by 2020) and no political will by either of the main parties to initiate a programme of building affordable homes for working people and retirees.

No one should be homeless in a country as wealthy as Australia, but unless someone tries to address the widening wealth gap, then surely many more will be left behind and notions like mateship and living the dream ​will ring as hollow as a politician's promises.

Edited by User70277

A really thought-provoking post Fizzybangs. Like you, I fear for what the 'get rich quick' culture inspired by the mining boom will impact upon the country as my daughter grows up here. When we lived in the UK my partner and our Australian friends always cited Australia as a country where those now old-fashioned values of fairness, neighbourliness and independence were still intact, a kind of throw-back to a more easy-going, less competitive era. Sadly, in my experience, Australia, like everywhere else it seems, is a highly competitive country where there is a growing gap between rich and poor. In some ways I am more often confronted with this than most people as I work for a homeless charity in Melbourne and so I see evidence of a growing underclass on a daily basis, whilst living myself in an affluent suburb where house prices are eye-wateringly high.

Trying to find accommodation for homeless people in the city is increasingly tough and The Age newspaper recently ran a story about how there are now over 1400 rooming houses in Melbourne where people who cannot afford private rental are housed. These are truly desperate places full of vulnerable adults and increasingly, young families, who pay up to $200 a week to share kitchen and bathroom facilities with strangers. It's a frequent litany of complaint from our clients that this accommodation is unsafe, uncomfortable and run by slum landlords who'll intimidate them or kick them out if they dare complain. And these proprietors are making big money, often cramming 8 single people into a room and charging $140 a week each for the privilege. Making money out of other people's misery.

Speak to my clients about the notion of the fair go and they'll look at you blankly. Plenty of them have worked for decades and paid into a system which has failed them. Men who've worked in hard manual labouring jobs have been discarded when they reached their 50's and their bodies can't take the punishment anymore, and increasingly, single women in their late 40's and 50's who are constantly passed over for employment because they're seen as expensive or risky appointments by employers looking for a cheaper, more compliant work-force. They're caught in a perfect storm of rising rents, growing population (estimates have it that Victoria will grow by 1.7 million people by 2020) and no political will by either of the main parties to initiate a programme of building affordable homes for working people and retirees.

No one should be homeless in a country as wealthy as Australia, but unless someone tries to address the widening wealth gap, then surely many more will be left behind and notions like mateship and living the dream ​will ring as hollow as a politician's promises.

This is quite shocking and disturbing at the same time, a real eye opener to be honest.

I think you're quite right about the fact that there is a growing gap between rich and poor and that the old fashioned values of fairness (which Australia has always been known for) is fast disappearing as the greediness and money orientated attitude seeps into these shores.

On a different note, I do know someone whose partner cannot find a job and although she is working, they're just about keeping their head above the water , being one paycheck away from disaster.

This is quite shocking and disturbing at the same time, a real eye opener to be honest.

I think you're quite right about the fact that there is a growing gap between rich and poor and that the old fashioned values of fairness (which Australia has always been known for) is fast disappearing as the greediness and money orientated attitude seeps into these shores.

On a different note, I do know someone whose partner cannot find a job and although she is working, they're just about keeping their head above the water , being one paycheck away from disaster.

The bit of your post that I've highlighted is a frequently used quote in my office. Sadly, there's a lot of people in that position, and I'm not far off it myself at the moment. I appreciate that Melbourne is overall a very affluent city, but in some respects it's become a victim of it's own success as people gravitate towards it from country areas or interstate seeking work or access to better public services.

Guest legselevn

old values!!!of fairness!!!!what australia has always been known for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ozzies know what people think of they .read slowly?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

To add further to what Paul has said, big serveys have been done from migrants, which show that the majority, almost 80% think that their lives have improved since emigrating, especially for their kids, it's only a small percentage that it doesn't benefit and that's for many differing reasons, like someone said and the majority of those who come back do so because they miss family and friends, not because they don't like it there, Australia isn't everyone's cup of tea, but most love it there. Best of luck to everyone wherever you are going.