Age 15 in Sept moving to Melbourne in October - Year 9 or 10 in oz?? PLease advise

Midwife99

Hi,

My son is 15 in September currently in year 9 in the Uk and will progress to year 10 in September.

We are moving to Melbourne in October can someone confirm which year my son would enter school in Oz??

He will be attending a school in Point Cook Melbourne if anyone has any advice re Schools - let me know.

He is also very reluctant to go! Really doesnt want to lose his friends which we totally understand but we do feel that long term the move will benefit him. No doubt lots of you have experienced the same so if you have any positive stories I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks

Hi,

My son is 15 in September currently in year 9 in the Uk and will progress to year 10 in September.

We are moving to Melbourne in October can someone confirm which year my son would enter school in Oz??

He will be attending a school in Point Cook Melbourne if anyone has any advice re Schools - let me know.

He is also very reluctant to go! Really doesnt want to lose his friends which we totally understand but we do feel that long term the move will benefit him. No doubt lots of you have experienced the same so if you have any positive stories I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks

Hi

check out the link below to Suzanne Cory High School. Newly built and word is that it will be a great school

We moved over 3 months ago (OH is a midwife!) and although our kids have a couple of years before they will be old enough, I am keeping my eye on the school

http://www.suzannecoryhs.vic.edu.au/

Hi there...

Going through the same dilemma as yourself. Our eldest lad is 15 at present and currently in year 4 at home, he is sitting his GCSE next year and we are hoping to move around this time. He is reluctant to move as he doesn't want to mess up his education. After careful consideration and research we have decided to go ahead and on entry to Oz he will be going into year 11/12. From the information that I have gained it equates to As and A level years here... so he is happy with that although if accepted he will be joining half way through the year.

We are moving with 4 kids 2 at primary school so it is a massive move for them all. I feel that it is the right decision for us all as a family and the members on this site have provided some great advice.

Are you a midwife? If so we have that in common!

I hope that your plans work out well!

Yep, he'll be starting in Term 4 of Year 9.

He'll probably have to make subject choices for Year 10 pretty quickly; the VCE (Vic Certificate of Education) is geared to Uni entry, so if your son is thinking about going to Uni try to get a handle on possible Uni subjects, pre-requisites for those courses, and then work backwards.

Going to some of the Uni open days over the next 12 months might also help your son start to see his future in Melbourne.

For instance:

http://www.vu.edu.au/events/come-to-our-open-day-24-june-2012

http://www.deakin.edu.au/future-students/important-dates.php

http://www.rmit.edu.au/programs/openday

Good luck!

Hi there...

Going through the same dilemma as yourself. Our eldest lad is 15 at present and currently in year 4 at home, he is sitting his GCSE next year and we are hoping to move around this time. He is reluctant to move as he doesn't want to mess up his education. After careful consideration and research we have decided to go ahead and on entry to Oz he will be going into year 11/12. From the information that I have gained it equates to As and A level years here... so he is happy with that although if accepted he will be joining half way through the year.

We are moving with 4 kids 2 at primary school so it is a massive move for them all. I feel that it is the right decision for us all as a family and the members on this site have provided some great advice.

Are you a midwife? If so we have that in common!

I hope that your plans work out well!

If you can avoid it, dont put him into year 11 half way through, it could potentially disadvantage him for his year 12 score. Actually the most sensible option is to let him finish A levels in UK (can he stay with relatives/friends?) then he keeps all his options open as A levels travel to Australia better than year 12 scores travel back to UK and if you decide that Aus is not for you then he has scuppered his chances of uni in UK as he will be up for international student fees. It's a really tricky time to move.

If you can avoid it, dont put him into year 11 half way through, it could potentially disadvantage him for his year 12 score. Actually the most sensible option is to let him finish A levels in UK (can he stay with relatives/friends?) then he keeps all his options open as A levels travel to Australia better than year 12 scores travel back to UK and if you decide that Aus is not for you then he has scuppered his chances of uni in UK as he will be up for international student fees. It's a really tricky time to move.

Agreed. Starting halfway through Year 11 => likely to not be good.

Either abandon GCSEs and head out to start Year 11 in Australia (at the latest), or see out secondary education in the UK.

Or maybe start in Aus after GCSEs part way through Year 10 (ie dropping down a year) so he gets the full Year 11.

Best regards.

many thanks for the advice...!

I have received other information and some people have stated that year 12 is the most important year, regarding scores! . My son is just under 6 foot tall and very very mature, great academic child. If we wait here in Ireland until he finishes his A levels that will be a further 3 school terms and he will turn 18 the year that he finishes. The prospect of waiting until then is not visible and then you run the problem of visas!

It is a very tricky situation but when we make the move we are in it for the long run as he would like to attend uni, and we cant chop and change as the impact on the kids is so much!

Hopefully he will settle well... we are bound for Perth hopefully once we get our paper work gathered. have you secured a job? Do you have other kids for school also?

It really is a difficult situation ..but as a family you hope that you make the right situation.!

I suggest you contact the school in Point Cook directly and talk to the Principle (Head Teacher) and liaise with he or she as to the best course of action..

Because of the 4 month or so differentiation between the two systems he may have to repeat that portion of the study year that he has completed in the UK, however this will, or could depend upon a couple of things -

A) At what stage the school at Point Cook are relative to what your Son has already studied (they maybe at that same level when you get here)

B) His own standard of Academia relative to the the curriculum standard at Point Cook (he could be smarter than all the others lol) ;-)

Finally - with respect to what Quoll has already posted, do not be concerned or swayed by comments that British A levels carry more clout than Victorian or Australian Year 12 results! I know two people that are taking up formal Scholarships at Oxford in September based purely on their year 12 results here in Melbourne last year..Granted, the schools were 'well to do' Private Schools here however the curriculum is still the same for all and sundry but I'm sure you get my point though.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your stay here :-)