Moving to Melbourne in Dec 2012, need help with rental!

EugeneS

Hi folks,

We're moving to Melbourne this December and we obviously are going to need some place to stay.. The thing is I'm not sure how can I find an apartment remotely? Is it even possible? How can this be done?

To complicate the things even more, we land at December 28, which is 3 days before Sylvester and it's also a weekend, so I believe that the city will be "paralyzed". I'm really stressed about this and I consider to move our flight few days forward to Jan 3.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Its the long summer holiday in Australia, starts just before Xmas and ends on 1 February so a lot of people are away during this period. Construction industry have their holidays at this time. You will probably need to take short term accommodation until you find something to rent. Have a look for serviced apartments on Wotif and Last Minute. These sites have all the accommodation available in Melbourne and you can get an idea of location, price. As it is the holidays it would be better to book early rather than late.

Its the long summer holiday in Australia, starts just before Xmas and ends on 1 February so a lot of people are away during this period. Construction industry have their holidays at this time. You will probably need to take short term accommodation until you find something to rent. Have a look for serviced apartments on Wotif and Last Minute. These sites have all the accommodation available in Melbourne and you can get an idea of location, price. As it is the holidays it would be better to book early rather than late.

Thank you for your answer!

Somehow I didn't take into consideration but it seems to be a worst time to arrive to a new place. I didn't know that the holidays are so long, until Feb! What about different government services, banks? Are they on vacation too? This also means that I won't be able to actively look for a job in this period..

Anyway I have no choice since I have to enter OZ before 9 Jan to activate my visa..

Guest missymarylebone

Don't worry too much EugeneS...it's a lovely time to arrive in Melbourne weather-wise and there's something nice and gentle about Melbourne over the Christmas period so you can get your bearings before it gets too crazy.

Things are very quiet from Christmas until the first week of January and don't really pick up full-on until the end of Jan, but there are certainly things going on and some people have to go back to work so you'll be able to get appointments with recruiters etc.

We stayed at a lovely serviced apartment for a couple of weeks before we found something more permanent. Not cheap, but really central and lovely. www.apartmentalkira.com.au

Or you could try the hostels if you're on a tight budget - maybe Base in St Kilda http://stayatbase.com/hostels/australia-hostels/base-backpackers-melbourne.aspx?

Good luck - you'll have a lovely time!

MM

Edited by missymarylebone

Hi folks,

We're moving to Melbourne this December and we obviously are going to need some place to stay.. The thing is I'm not sure how can I find an apartment remotely? Is it even possible? How can this be done?

To complicate the things even more, we land at December 28, which is 3 days before Sylvester and it's also a weekend, so I believe that the city will be "paralyzed". I'm really stressed about this and I consider to move our flight few days forward to Jan 3.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks!!

hi, i did put in one post about cabins on caravan sites, but no one could be bothered to reply, on selected sites in Melbourne 2 weeks for a 2 bedroom cabin $1300, fully furnished and well located

heres the link

http://www.aspenparks.com.au/holiday-destinations/victoria/melbourne/ashley-gardens-big4-holiday-village/welcome.aspx

or

http://frankston-holiday-village.vic.big4.com.au/accommodation-and-pricing/holiday-cabins.aspx

or

http://www.werribeesouthcaravanpark.com/accommodation

we arrive in Nov so hopefully we are going to stay in one of these for 2 weeks and then find a rental

it may help