The Pom Queen

Australia Tourism Videos

Just wondered what you thought of the new Tourism video and some of the older ones they have run

[video=youtube_share;m5__vyZMdlg]

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

[video=youtube;Y-ZLr9ePuj8]

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Ah, the Lara Bingle phenomena......

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Guest Guest16631

.......I liked Paul Hogans.............shrimp on the barbie best......!................think his we're the best promotional tourist commercials.......IMO.............not so keen on the latest one............!.........lacks a ...........I don't know what.........but something....!

I believe there has been some controversy that the new video does not depict what is actually possible if you visited Kangaroo Island (for example)? A bit like a Visit England video showing a tourist shaking Lizzy's hand at Buck Palace.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

and then there is the segment when they are all sitting around on the beach have a friendly chat with the local Aborigine.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

and then there is the friendly swimming wallaby who has just been body-boarding on the surf and fancies a stroke from a kid. (OK - I embellished that bit a little)

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

The depiction of Melbourne is quite realistic though - a firey, hell-hole of a place, best visited briefly on a boat.:biglaugh:

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

................lacks a ...........I don't know what.........but something....!

depth? ..... intensity?

And how come the video is not showing Perth????!!! :daydreaming:

That was the criticism i read....it's too familiar and misses out a lot. Anybody who's thinking of coming, already knows about the stuff in the advert so it won't attract anybody new.

I suppose the $ strength doesn't help, but if UK students are suddenly having to pay for University tuition instead of getting it free..it suddenly opens up a new market for young people to come here and study/travel and pump some cash into the Aussie economy at the expense of the UK. Perhaps that should be a different advert though.

Matt Hancock on TV, crying like the stepfather appealing for the return of the daughter he knows is buried under the garage floor.

•  

A UK citizen studying as an overseas student in an Australian university will pay $25-30k per annum in tuition fees! At today's exchange rate that would pay for them to go to Cambridge/Oxford...mind you, the beaches are better here! :wink:

That was the criticism i read....it's too familiar and misses out a lot. Anybody who's thinking of coming, already knows about the stuff in the advert so it won't attract anybody new.

I suppose the $ strength doesn't help, but if UK students are suddenly having to pay for University tuition instead of getting it free..it suddenly opens up a new market for young people to come here and study/travel and pump some cash into the Aussie economy at the expense of the UK. Perhaps that should be a different advert though.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Perth is not in Australia. It's in Western Australia!

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

A UK citizen studying as an overseas student in an Australian university will pay $25-30k per annum in tuition fees! At today's exchange rate that would pay for them to go to Cambridge/Oxford...mind you, the beaches are better here! :wink:

Oh I don't doubt it won't be cheap here, but if they now have to pay at home (and it seems they're pretty much all going to charge up to the cap level) it makes the difference look more attractive, plus they get permission to work. Might attract a few more.

Matt Hancock on TV, crying like the stepfather appealing for the return of the daughter he knows is buried under the garage floor.

•  

Ha ha .... of course...

We have our own it seems....

[YOUTUBE]W6t496YLDy4[/YOUTUBE]

Your right - I had forgotten about the changes to student visas giving work rights for a period post-graduation. Its an expensive way to get a visa don't you think?

Oh I don't doubt it won't be cheap here, but if they now have to pay at home (and it seems they're pretty much all going to charge up to the cap level) it makes the difference look more attractive, plus they get permission to work. Might attract a few more.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Guest AKA63029

And it was 'closed' on that particular Sunday.:embarrassed:

.......I liked Paul Hogans.............shrimp on the barbie best......!................think his we're the best promotional tourist commercials.......IMO.............not so keen on the latest one............!.........lacks a ...........I don't know what.........but something....!

That was the one that kicked of the Aussie tourist market especially with Americans. The ideas used now appear very cliche and look to slick and can easy imagine some PR or advertising dept making it one wet Sydney afternoon it. Too glossy to be of note ....Australia had its day in the sun as far as tourism goes.It may return with a lower dollar,who knows? Now far to expensive and too far away as well as being in an area where it is overshadowed by far more exotic and better value locations.

The focus will need to be on the growing Chinese market.They like to shop it is said but haven't the money to date....

Your right - I had forgotten about the changes to student visas giving work rights for a period post-graduation. Its an expensive way to get a visa don't you think?

It is and will profit more folk from the Asian region with rich parents and a game plan. I'm not in favour of education by and large being used as a back door to get an immigration visa.

Ha ha .... of course...

We have our own it seems....

[YOUTUBE]W6t496YLDy4[/YOUTUBE]

Do I detect just a little kitsch or am I being over cynical? The footage does show Perth it at its best from a height. Perhaps fly over tours would do the trick returning to Melbourne in time for the evening meal.

Guest AKA63029

If WA isn't included it's a great shame.

Great city and a short trip up North and some of the most spectacular scenery in Australia.:yes:

I believe there has been some controversy that the new video does not depict what is actually possible if you visited Kangaroo Island (for example)? A bit like a Visit England video showing a tourist shaking Lizzy's hand at Buck Palace.

Or that it could really be 101 other places in OZ. Sea,Beach,Roo's,.....There is nothing to suggest a unique experience going to Kangaroo Island than going elsewhere with a sea location. For the big bucks to go there for so little why bother?

Guest AKA63029

Having said that, wasn't it 'Elle' McPherson (you know, the woman who's mouth is too big for her face) who once did an add for the Bungle Bungles.

If so I dare say tourism to WA took a nose dive and the advertisers thought it better to leave WA out this time.

If WA isn't included it's a great shame.

Great city and a short trip up North and some of the most spectacular scenery in Australia.:yes:

Perth could barely be described as a tourist city..two days has it covered. But yes the North is something unique as a road trip as far as Darwin. That's what they should be selling but it depends on the market they are trying to attract. The Chinese market with limited time and money,but the fastest growing, has stated in survey's that shopping is what is attractive to them. Not a lot of that in Perth as far as they are concerned.

Guest AKA63029
Perth could barely be described as a tourist city..two days has it covered. But yes the North is something unique as a road trip as far as Darwin. That's what they should be selling but it depends on the market they are trying to attract. The Chinese market with limited time and money,but the fastest growing, has stated in survey's that shopping is what is attractive to them. Not a lot of that in Perth as far as they are concerned.

It's a shame Flag that 'Shopping' is one of the main attractions I guess.