Skillselect and chances for invite

voxtro

Guest abhishek

Thanks for reminding me to not put DOB, I have further queries:

Since as of now I am eligible for both visa i.e. 189 and 190 visa. But in next month mid, I will be turning 33 so I will be losing 5 points under my age.

As a result I will be having 55 points under 189 visa and 60 points in 190 (SS) visa. So in general I have next 40 days to get visa (Invitation) quickly as my age will lower my points.

Q1) I have already filled my EOI (Expression Of Interest) and selected both visa options 189 and 190.

If I take skilled independent visa 189, my chances of getting selection are there. If DIAC sends Invitation before 31st July 2012 and in my occupation (i.e. Developer Programmer) they grant visa at 60 points only.

I have thoroughly checked skillselect website they have indicated that first round of Invitations will be given before july end and its reports will be published in August 2012. (Check Link with question : When will the reports be published)

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

Q2) Also, I am eligible for State Sponsorship from South Australia (SA) only.(Since Victoria and NSW needs IELTS 7.0 in each band)

But again it comes with a rider to apply for SA visa, they have clearly mentioned that if you apply for 190 visa in EOI we should only choose SA.

Check this FAQ in SA website: How do I apply for state nomination from 1 July 2012?

Link: http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/immigrate_from_overseas/visa_options/gen_skill3/faq_gsm.jsp

i.e.

"

How do I apply for state nomination from 1 July 2012?

From 1 July 2012 you will need to follow this process to apply for state nomination:

1. Lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect and choose “South Australia” only and the relevant visa subclass (190 or 489). You will need to determine which visa subclass you qualify for.

2. Immediately after lodging your EOI, you should submit an online application for state nomination through the Immigration SA website. You will need to enter your EOI ID number into the state nomination application form.

"

So if I follow this rule I need to deselect 189 visa option in EOI and only need to select 190 option for SA sponsorship.

But this will be very hard on me, since I know I will get visa under SA sponsorship but in Adelaide IT job market is not that good, and I am targeting Melbourne/Sydney under 189 visa.

So it has become dilemmatic situation for me, which option to choose?

If I select 189, then SA sponsorship I will not get and I am not very sure when DIAC will send invitation and what will be cut-off?

And If I choose 190 visa only, where I am pretty sure that I will get visa but job market will not be that great in Adelaide?

Need a bail-out solution for my special Space-Time complexity situation!!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abhishek

Thanks sir,

I think I should plan IELTS one more time and try to score 7.0 in each band which will give me crucial 10 points, and will increase my chances of getting invitation from DIAC

We have been advised that State Sponsored skilled visa apps will be invited to apply by DIAC straightaway.

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

My wife applied for Vic SS last October and it was approved in December subject to trade assessment (in our case, TRA).

Vic agreed to extend our approval due the delays at TRA.

My wife received a successful outcome from TRA today, and I was wondering how this affects us going forward with skillselect if we have already got Vic SS?

Thanks for your reply in advance?

Regards,

Paul

Hello Paul. I'm on holiday presently - so just a quick reply to say that with Vic sponsorship your EoI should progress to a visa application quickly.

In saying this, please also understand that DIAC officers will also be familiarising themselves with a new system, so in these early days expect some teething problems and learning curve effects.

Good luck!

Hello Paul. I'm on holiday presently - so just a quick reply to say that with Vic sponsorship your EoI should progress to a visa application quickly.

In saying this, please also understand that DIAC officers will also be familiarising themselves with a new system, so in these early days expect some teething problems and learning curve effects.

Good luck!

Hi Alan,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me whilst on holiday.

That's certainly good news about our visa, like anything new I guess there will always be teething problems to begin with.

Thank you once again & enjoy your holiday.

Regards,

Paul

Guest abhishek
From what you have posted you should apply for SS or redo your IELTS

Hi laborvellec,

Thanks for all your quick replies

I have further investigated on chances of a person getting invitation from DIAC at 60 points. Please follow this link:

http://blog.visabureau.com/post/further-information-released-regarding-changes-to-australian-skilled-migration-in-july-2012.aspx

Firstly it shows that first round of invitation will come at around 1st August 2012. Also it shows

"See below for a diagram from DIAC that illustrates how the ceiling process will work:"

It shows how the ceiling process will work, suppose in Developer Programmer (261312) category the highest mark is 70 points ( so there will be 3 categories of ranking will be there RANK 1: 70 points, RANK 2: 65 points and RANK 3: 60 points.

Since according to flowchart in above link there is question indicating " Has Nominated Occupation reached ceiling ?", If answer in "NO" than send invitation.

So even by this algo the last rank person will also receive invitation.

Considering these updates, I would like to know whether my understanding is correct?

Since still I am counting that at 60 points one can recieve invitation?

Thanks

Guest dejavoo

Hello guys, Well think with this EOI approach there wouldn't be any need to seek a state sponsorship again since the state would also be paticipating in the pool selection for invitation respectively,pls correct if am wrong.

Guest Levimouse
Hi laborvellec,

Thanks for all your quick replies

I have further investigated on chances of a person getting invitation from DIAC at 60 points. Please follow this link:

http://blog.visabureau.com/post/further-information-released-regarding-changes-to-australian-skilled-migration-in-july-2012.aspx

Firstly it shows that first round of invitation will come at around 1st August 2012. Also it shows

"See below for a diagram from DIAC that illustrates how the ceiling process will work:"

It shows how the ceiling process will work, suppose in Developer Programmer (261312) category the highest mark is 70 points ( so there will be 3 categories of ranking will be there RANK 1: 70 points, RANK 2: 65 points and RANK 3: 60 points.

Since according to flowchart in above link there is question indicating " Has Nominated Occupation reached ceiling ?", If answer in "NO" than send invitation.

So even by this algo the last rank person will also receive invitation.

Considering these updates, I would like to know whether my understanding is correct?

Since still I am counting that at 60 points one can recieve invitation?

Thanks

Thanks for this link abhishek, it's very useful.

I was planning on getting SS from WA but now am thinking I could just go for a 189 visa with the 65 points I have and hope that the occupation ceiling is not reached in the 1st couple of months for my occupation.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

I would like the option to go anywhere in Oz and so would rather not be tied to a state, so a 189 would be great for my family, but I assumed 65 was too low a rank to risk it. But based on this flowchart as long as you get in early and the ceiling hasn't been reached it doesn't matter if you even have 60. Unless DIAC limits the invites per month for each occupation. Is this the case do you think?

Thanks for this link abhishek, it's very useful.

I was planning on getting SS from WA but now am thinking I could just go for a 189 visa with the 65 points I have and hope that the occupation ceiling is not reached in the 1st couple of months for my occupation.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

I would like the option to go anywhere in Oz and so would rather not be tied to a state, so a 189 would be great for my family, but I assumed 65 was too low a rank to risk it. But based on this flowchart as long as you get in early and the ceiling hasn't been reached it doesn't matter if you even have 60. Unless DIAC limits the invites per month for each occupation. Is this the case do you think?

There definitely would be a limit on the invitations issued per month. The DIAC wouldn't want to exhaust the annual quota of visas in the starting of the year itself. Their policy is to control the number of people that apply for the visa and have quite a number of people ready to apply throughout the year.

The number of nominations that a State can submit very month (i.e for 190 and 489) is also as per the limit assigned to them by DIAC. I wonder if the States also go by the points as a yardstick to choose people for their nominations. Think things will get clearer in due time.

Edited by walkwater

Guest Levimouse
There definitely would be a limit on the invitations issued per month. The DIAC wouldn't want to exhaust the annual quota of visas in the starting of the year itself. Their policy is to control the number of people that apply for the visa and have quite a number of people ready to apply throughout the year.

The number of nominations that a State can submit very month (i.e for 189 and 489) is also as per the limit assigned to them by DIAC. I wonder if the States also go by the points as a yardstick to choose people for their nominations. Think things will get clearer in due time.

Thanks Walkwater - that totally makes sense. I guess it's worth hanging on for the 1st report to be released next month to see what the lowest points score is getting through on each occupation.

Zeinasoft - The point of sponsorship is that you work in that state - however this is a moral obligation and if you wanted to work elsewhere you could. Bit pointless getting the sponsorship really though. I could get that straightaway from WA and then live in Victoria but seems unfair.

There are loads of threads on this so check out the others for more info

Guest abhishek
Thanks Walkwater - that totally makes sense. I guess it's worth hanging on for the 1st report to be released next month to see what the lowest points score is getting through on each occupation.

Zeinasoft - The point of sponsorship is that you work in that state - however this is a moral obligation and if you wanted to work elsewhere you could. Bit pointless getting the sponsorship really though. I could get that straightaway from WA and then live in Victoria but seems unfair.

There are loads of threads on this so check out the others for more info

Hi All,

The more authentic link related to Occupation ceiling and Invitation can be checked on Aussie government Migration Blog:

http://migrationblog.immi.gov.au/page/5/

Also as I explained EOI will ranked and highest ranking EOI will get visa, but according to above link "If Occupation ceiling has not reached on a particular 1st Ranked EOI, than system may select the 2nd Ranked EOI and this process may repeat until Ceiling has not reached."

Also related to question "There definitely would be a limit on the invitations issued per month.?"

I again searched the Migration Blog and found one similar question and found answer to it, Link:

http://migrationblog.immi.gov.au/2012/05/14/busting-the-myths-about-skillselect/

Search string with question: " 3. How the Occupation celing is determined for each Invitation round. eg, if Annual celing is 12000, approx 1000 per monthly Invitaion round? "

And Answer for that is :

"

3. We will provide information on the occupation ceiling levels on our website on 1 July 2012. The occupation ceiling will be an annual amount that will operate from 1 July 2012. It will not be divided into a monthly amount. Once the occupation ceiling is reached, no further invitations for that occupation group will be issued. The occupation ceiling is based on the 4 digit unit group level of the ANZSCO. You can find information on ANZSCO at: http://www.immi.gov.au/employers/anzsco/anzsco-code.

"

Once we analyze these points, one can be sure that even at 60 points there are chances of getting 189 (Skilled-Independent) visa. That means how early you apply for a visa, the better the chances of getting invitation.

But overall, things will be clear when 1st round of invitation will be released on 1st August, and what cut-off is set by skillselect for each nominated occupation!

Guest abhishek
if I applied for 190 which enforce me to not live outside the state for 2 years at least . what is the case if i found a job out side the state ...?how they handle that case

190 visa means State Sponsorship (SS), so it is compulsion to leave in that state for first 2 years. you will not be allowed to work outside the state. If you want to work anywhere apply for 189 (Skilled -Independent ) visa.

Guest Levimouse

The number of nominations that a State can submit very month (i.e for 190 and 489) is also as per the limit assigned to them by DIAC. I wonder if the States also go by the points as a yardstick to choose people for their nominations. Think things will get clearer in due time.

Hi Walkwater

You seemed very certain of this above information and yet Abishek's links appear to contradict it. Where did you get this info?

Thanks

Kim

Guest Levimouse
but if you went there and were not able to fin a job however you found a job outside the state .

how they will handel your case enforce you to stay in the state for 2 years without having a job .

I don't think they will do anything. As I said before if you search on this forum for 'state sponsorship' there are loads of posts on this issue. Someone posted a really good bit of info - which was an email from the State government to someone who was going to move out of state. They put the guilt trip on (rightly so) but essentially said they wouldn't do anything.

Hi Walkwater

You seemed very certain of this above information and yet Abishek's links appear to contradict it. Where did you get this info?

Thanks

Kim

Hi Kim,

This is how my understanding goes.

Limit is fixed for number of invitations issued per month (say 5k with 1k allotted for 190 visa).

The system will issue the invitations to the applicants in the top 4k ranking and to 1k 190 applicants.

However in those 4k applicants, if the occupational ceiling of any applicant is reached(including for 190 visas), they will not receive the invitation this year. The system will then pick the application with the next best points.

Occupational ceiling acts as a secondary filter. Say all the applicants in the top 4k rankings are accountants (of course hypothetically assuming), 4k being withing the quota of 10.4k for accountants, all 4k accountants will be invited and no other occupations will be invited in that round.

Rohit

Edited by walkwater

Guest DingDangDoo

Is the 190 SS visa ranked by points also? Someone said it wasnt but i cant get a definite on this.

So if i apply for SA SS with 60 points i should get the state sponsorship right?

Is the 190 SS visa ranked by points also? Someone said it wasnt but i cant get a definite on this.

So if i apply for SA SS with 60 points i should get the state sponsorship right?

No 190 visa is not ranked, but the challenge lies in obtaining the sponsorship. The States can only nominate limited number of people every month and its possible that people have applied for the SS in excess of what the States can nominate.

Guest alanandemma176

Hi All

I have just submitted my skillselect EOI which we scored 70 points, I was just wondering if anyone had received an invite to apply for a Visa yet under the new system and what points did they have, I will be applying for a 190 visa

Guest alanandemma176

Hi A 190 sponsorship gives you the right to live and work in australia, but if you have obtained state sponsorship you would have a only a moral obligation to live in the state, which is a reasonable request given the fact that you might not of of been granted a visa to live in australia without having the sponsorship, and you might of taken the place of someone who did want to live and work in that state.