Skillselect and chances for invite

voxtro

With the introduction of Skillselect, I assume that applications with a better score has better chances of getting through. Having that said, if I just qualify with mere 60 points which is the bare minimum to qualify for GSM. Can I assume that my chances of getting a visa invite is less with many others with higher points competing with me? In that case, Should I opt for regional skill sponsored straight away to increase my chances of qualifying? Can anyone suggest?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Levimouse

If you get for state sponsorship you get an automatic invite to apply. You don't have to get regional sponsorship for this.

We have been advised that State Sponsored skilled visa apps will be invited to apply by DIAC straightaway.

Best regards.

Do you know how the states will pick which apps to nominate though? I imagine that they will pick the top ranking apps in occupations they want, so it'll be a similar situation to the independent visa?? :unsure: So although you will be invitied by DIAC to apply straight away once you've received state nomination you'll still have to wait to receive that nomination anyway - does that even make sense! lol

Do you know how the states will pick which apps to nominate though? I imagine that they will pick the top ranking apps in occupations they want, so it'll be a similar situation to the independent visa?? :unsure: So although you will be invitied by DIAC to apply straight away once you've received state nomination you'll still have to wait to receive that nomination anyway - does that even make sense! lol

I doubt the States will even look at the points situation of each applicant, or will rank the applications for Sponsorship.

If you have the competencies and whatever pre-requisites the State Government dictates you'll get the State Sponsorship.

Best regards.

thanks, it will be great if thats the case..

I doubt the States will even look at the points situation of each applicant, or will rank the applications for Sponsorship.

If you have the competencies and whatever pre-requisites the State Government dictates you'll get the State Sponsorship.

Best regards.

Best regards.

Hi Allan,

Please correct me if am wrong. The Skill select website says, "In order to submit a complete EOI you must meet the points test pass mark. Your complete EOI will then be ranked on the basis of your claims against points test factors. Invitations will be issued to those who achieve the highest rankings, subject to the operation of the occupational ceiling." (http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-190/)

So I think even if one is nominated by a state, invitations will still be given based on ranking and occupational ceiling, else the above lines should have been only under sub class 189 and not for 190 too.

Please correct me if am wrong.

Based on what we are being told - ie that State Sponsored skilled visa applications will be processed straightaway - I think you're wrong.

Best regards.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know why its all so ambiguous on the website, but if the department is saying so, then think it will be so.

Just happen to come across this reply of the administrator of Skill select blog:

For the state or territory nominated visas, invitations will be issued to those who are nominated by a state or territory government in SkillSelect. The invitations will be issued as long as the EOI meets the current points test pass mark and the occupation ceiling has not been reached. The state or territory governments may do their own assessment of your claims before they nominate you. DIAC staff will not choose who will receive an invitation. (http://migrationblog.immi.gov.au/2012/06/18/why-you-should-submit-an-eoi-on-1-july-2012/#comments)

So, I was wrong in saying that even state nominated applications will be ranked.

Please correct me if am wrong.

Based on what we are being told - ie that State Sponsored skilled visa applications will be processed straightaway - I think you're wrong.

Best regards.

You are correct, but the "straight away" component relates to after receiving SS.

The states have said they will honour sponsorships issued in the 11-12 year in SkillSelect, but so far they havent told how the states will rank applicants for SS and issue them. If the states get more applicants than sponsorship places, surely they will have to use some sort of ranking?

And the occupation ceilings will be a factor too.

If the states get more applicants than sponsorship places, surely they will have to use some sort of ranking?

Thus far the State Governments have been filling quotas as they go for each occupation as allowed under their State Migration Plan - without reference to points claimed - then closing each occupation to new applicants.

Time will tell, but I anticipate no change to these procedures at the State Government level.

Best regards.

Presently, as on date, I have 65 points. I ll be having just 60 points after 10th July 2012 ( i.e loosing 5 points from age).

I am an Electronics Engineer and ready with skill asessment. I am expecting required band sore of 7 in each in the coming ielts results.

Please advice

>>should I apply before July 1st ( which needs 65 points)

or

>>Should I wait for skill-select ( which needs just 60 points) to kick in?

Thanks for any of the inputs / suggestions.

Do you see any advantages or disadvantages in waiting for skill select for my particular case?

I am curious to know what might be the cutoff points for the skill "Electronics Engineer".. to receive invitation. Any guesses? Is the score 60 points is safe?

Regards

SavithRu

Edited by savithru
spelling mistake

Presently, as on date, I have 65 points. I ll be having just 60 points after 10th July 2012 ( i.e loosing 5 points from age).

I am an Electronics Engineer and ready with skill asessment. I am expecting required band sore of 7 in each in the coming ielts results.

Please advice

or

Do you see any advantages or disadvantages in waiting for skill select for my particular case?

I am curious to know what might be the cutoff points for the skill "Electronics Engineer".. to receive invitation. Any guesses? Is the score 60 points is safe?

Regards

SavithRu

Not sure what you mean by "expecting required band". If you mean you're waiting for results then wait - you're throwing your money away if you apply on an expected result and find you've missed it as you have to have met the requirement when you submit the application so a retake won't do you any good. If you get your IELTS result before 10th July (and have everything else required) and so meet the current requirement I would apply before 10th July. I don't see any advantage to waiting.

I suggest that you apply as soon as you get your IELTS. Invitation to apply is not guarnteed in skill select as highly ranked EOIs will be selected and there will be ceiling per occupation.

Please advice

or

Regards

SavithRu

I am wanting to apply for a SS 176. It is going to be touch and go as I my skills assessment has just been approved by VETASSESS (have asked for a copy to be faxed/emailed to me today) and I am waiting for the letter to apply for WA SS. If I get the state sponsorship in time I will apply for the 176. I have IELTS, Medical and PC all done with 65 points.

My question is this. If I get the WA SS but don't manage to apply for 176 before 1 July. Does my SS count as a "state nomination" under the new system and mean I am likely to be invited to apply straight away after lodging my EOI? Also currently you are required to have 12 out of the last 24 months of relevant work experience in your field. Is this going to be removed after 1 July for a 190 visa as I resigned on 30 June 2011 and wont have the experience any more?

Lastly any Idea how much the new visa fee will be after 1 July (currently is $2950 if I read correctly).

Hi Ken and walkwater,

Thanks for your inputs. Yes, I am waiting for IELTS results to be announced on 27th of June. In case I get a band score of 7 in each, I ll be left with 3 days to apply. Hence asked for people's inputs.

I thought there might be some advantages for those skill sets having less number of contenders. Since we can expect quick response in skill select, along with the less number of contenders for a given skill set, I thought ( initially) waiting for skill select was better option.

Edited by savithru

gud luck with your result..i initially scored an overall 8 (7.5 in writing)..later tried with general too, but didnt get there..was waiting for my experience to add up so that i can make extra points, but then the pass marks dropped to 60..:happy_face_outlaw_si will be applying on jul 1 when the skill select comes in place..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest abhishek

Hi Sir,

I am looking for australian immigration under skillselect. I have over 8 years of IT experience and my ACS (Developer Pogrammer 261312) is done successfully. Also I got my IELTS score (L-8.5, R-7.0,W-7.5 and S-6.0) with overall 7.5, but my english ability will be counted at 6.0 (competent) level only.

Now my points test give me 60 points, the breakup is given as:

1) Age ************* :30 points

2) Qualification (Bachelor of .Engg.) : 15 points

3) Experience (8 years 3 Months) : 15 points

Total : 60 points.

Q1) Now if I apply in EOI through skill select for visa 189 (independent), what are my chances of getting INVITATION from DIAC?. As you are aware first round of invitation will be send by DIAC for July month in August first week.

Q2) Will 60 points be sufficient for getting visa under 189 categories and in my Occupation of Developer Programmer (261312), What DIAC or immigration consultant in AUS says about it?

Q3) Since in my IELTS, I scored 6.0 in Speaking. I will not be able to apply for state sponsorship for Victoria and New South Wales (it need 7.0 in each band for my occupation). Only option I have as of now is South Australia (SA) which accept my IELTS score. Now if I apply for SA through EOI, I have to select visa option as 190 only and I will not be able to process visa under 189.

So considering my situation, if I apply for 189 visa my point score is 60. And if I go for state sponsorship i.e. SA I will have 65 points.

Which option I should choose 189 or 190?

OR

where my best chances of getting visa will be either in State or independent visa?

Thanks,

Abhishek

Hi Sir,

I am looking for australian immigration under skillselect. I have over 8 years of IT experience and my ACS (Developer Pogrammer 261312) is done successfully. Also I got my IELTS score (L-8.5, R-7.0,W-7.5 and S-6.0) with overall 7.5, but my english ability will be counted at 6.0 (competent) level only.

Now my points test give me 60 points, the breakup is given as:

1) Age (*********) : 30 points

2) Qualification (Bachelor of .Engg.) : 15 points

3) Experience (8 years 3 Months) : 15 points

Total : 60 points.

Q1) Now if I apply in EOI through skill select for visa 189 (independent), what are my chances of getting INVITATION from DIAC?. As you are aware first round of invitation will be send by DIAC for July month in August first week.

Q2) Will 60 points be sufficient for getting visa under 189 categories and in my Occupation of Developer Programmer (261312), What DIAC or immigration consultant in AUS says about it?

Q3) Since in my IELTS, I scored 6.0 in Speaking. I will not be able to apply for state sponsorship for Victoria and New South Wales (it need 7.0 in each band for my occupation). Only option I have as of now is South Australia (SA) which accept my IELTS score. Now if I apply for SA through EOI, I have to select visa option as 190 only and I will not be able to process visa under 189.

So considering my situation, if I apply for 189 visa my point score is 60. And if I go for state sponsorship i.e. SA I will have 65 points.

OR

where my best chances of getting visa will be either in State or independent visa?

Thanks,

Abhishek

Hi Abhishek, It seems very unlikely that you will get an invite for 189 visa with 60 points. 190 visas are not ranked. If you are successful in getting sponsorship from a State, you will receive the invitation to apply for visa. I suggest you get sponsorship from any State.

OR

Do not post personal information on the forum - i.e. your DOB

You can can lodge and EOI for both 189 and 190.

Nobody will be able to tell you if you will be successful for SS or if you will get invitaiton after being ranked for 189, since no invitations have been released.

Guest The Resolute

Hi Abhishek,

Not sure of your chances to be invited BUT you are very much underestimating your chances to get a higher IELTS score.

In the last 10 years or so I have sat IELTS Academic 4 times and from experience you need only 3 things to go from 6 to 8: practice, practice and more practice.

It is not about being mother tongue or a smartass but about being familiar with that kind of questions, essays, accent and writing. A foreign graduate will probably score much better than an English lawyer without studying much at all, only because IELTS has been designed to test whether a non mother tongue young man/woman can master English language well enough to study in a British college or University. This is all.

It is probably time they design a test of English as foreign language specifically for immigrants, rather that pretending they are just like students.

Good luck with your visa :)

Edited by The Resolute

Guest abhishek
Hi Abhishek, It seems very unlikely that you will get an invite for 189 visa with 60 points. 190 visas are not ranked. If you are successful in getting sponsorship from a State, you will receive the invitation to apply for visa. I suggest you get sponsorship from any State.

Thanks Sir, for your valuable comments.

Since as of now I am eligible for both visa i.e. 189 and 190 visa. But in next month mid, I will be turning 33 so I will be losing 5 points under my age.

As a result I will be having 55 points under 189 visa and 60 points in 190 (SS) visa. So in general I have next 40 days to get visa (Invitation) quickly as my age will lower my points.

Q1) I have already filled my EOI (Expression Of Interest) and selected both visa options 189 and 190.

If I take skilled independent visa 189, my chances of getting selection are there. If DIAC sends Invitation before 31st July 2012 and in my occupation (i.e. Developer Programmer) they grant visa at 60 points only.

I have thoroughly checked skillselect website they have indicated that first round of Invitations will be given before july end and its reports will be published in August 2012. (Check Link with question : When will the reports be published)

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

Q2) Also, I am eligible for State Sponsorship from South Australia (SA) only.(Since Victoria and NSW needs IELTS 7.0 in each band)

But again it comes with a rider to apply for SA visa, they have clearly mentioned that if you apply for 190 visa in EOI we should only choose SA.

Check this FAQ in SA website: How do I apply for state nomination from 1 July 2012?

Link: http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/immigrate_from_overseas/visa_options/gen_skill3/faq_gsm.jsp

i.e.

"

How do I apply for state nomination from 1 July 2012?

From 1 July 2012 you will need to follow this process to apply for state nomination:

1. Lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect and choose “South Australia” only and the relevant visa subclass (190 or 489). You will need to determine which visa subclass you qualify for.

2. Immediately after lodging your EOI, you should submit an online application for state nomination through the Immigration SA website. You will need to enter your EOI ID number into the state nomination application form.

"

So if I follow this rule I need to deselect 189 visa option in EOI and only need to select 190 option for SA sponsorship.

But this will be very hard on me, since I know I will get visa under SA sponsorship but in Adelaide IT job market is not that good, and I am targeting Melbourne/Sydney under 189 visa.

So it has become dilemmatic situation for me, which option to choose?

If I select 189, then SA sponsorship I will not get and I am not very sure when DIAC will send invitation and what will be cut-off?

And If I choose 190 visa only, where I am pretty sure that I will get visa but job market will not be that great in Adelaide?

Need a bail-out solution for my special Space-Time complexity situation!! :biggrin: