You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Bob1

Warning - Aussies are ealry risers.

Just put my woolies online grocery shopping in and noticed that the only slot fully booked for delivery is 6am-8am. The busiest class at my gym is the 6am one - so I've been told, never been there at that time but I have some friends who all meet up and go out walking at 6am. There is an unwritten rule never to ring anyone after 9pm because they are in bed. No one will ever go and see a film with me if it starts after 8.30pm. Think the dark evenings and the cooler temperatures in the morning make people revert to a up at 6am/bed at 9pm time pattern. Took a while to train the in laws not to ring at 10.30pm anymore, mind you if they rang at 8pm I'd still pretend I was in bed!

Anyone else changed their hours since they've been in Oz?

Guest Shell15

Yep! When i visit my sister she has me up at 5:30 to go cycling with her or 6 for a morning spin class... Absolutely bonkers!! I must say though when we ride that early in the morning it is generally a beach we end up on and it is absolutley beautiful that time of the morning with a cup of coffee in hand! And yes it is full of ozzies :)

Aussies are in bed by 9 and up at about 6 even on weekends you can here them at even 5 in the morning doing something in the yard, it's the poms that party into the small hours.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Guest Shell15

Yes she is in bed at 9 lol

sounds good to me! im an early bird and cant wait to get out there and do stuff. pilates or yoga on the beach at 6am - yes please!!

Guest Burchos

I love going to bed around 9pm, so looking forward to that without feeling guilty - but not very good at getting up in the morning - oops - they call me the door mouse!

Guest Ptp113
Aussies are in bed by 9 and up at about 6 even on weekends you can here them at even 5 in the morning doing something in the yard, it's the poms that party into the small hours.

Not here, the night clubs are near empty till 10:00 pm, then full until 5:00 am.

sounds good to me! im an early bird and cant wait to get out there and do stuff. pilates or yoga on the beach at 6am - yes please!!

Yeh, nice especially with a hangover after a good night and some noisy bastard starts their law mower up at 5 in the morning.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

When in Rome and all that ...

It was a real culture shock when I first started work. My job started at 7.30am and I thought I could get into the office, get a coffee and settle before my boss got in. On my first day, I got in a 7.00am and it was like Piccadilly Circus at rush hour:biggrin:. By 6.00pm the office was deserted. My OH is definitely a Night Owl, so will struggle again, but like anything, he will get used to it. If you go to the beaches here at 7-8 in the morning in the summer it is packed with exercise classes and joggers.

IELTS 02/12 = 9's, AQF III 31/05/12, TRA Ass 14/11/12, EOI Submitted 14/11/12, Invite Received 15/11/12, 489 FS Lodged 29/11/12, CO Assigned 01/01/13, Meds 17/01/13 Grant 02/04/2013 189 Independent Visa Invitation 22/04/13, VISA GRANT 01/05/13

Arrived in Perth 09/10/13

Guest The Ropey HOFF

When were staying at Surfers paradise, we stayed up late and got up late, but when we went down the beach there was hardly anyone on there, but we were told theres thousands on there from about 6am onwards, we never found out, lol

I think we would change our sleeping habits if we emigrate, earlier to bed and earlier to rise, it will be hard changing a habit of a lifetime though.

Guest Andy

When we were in oz we were always up early, i particularly remember being on the Gold Coast :notworthy: and a couple of mornings me and the kids were on the beach fishing and swimming by 5am, what a life :smile:

Guest Ptp113

My 13yr old gets up at 6:00 am daily. I'm up by 5:00 am, sometimes earlier. Big change from way back when I just couldn't get up to save myself.

Guest Shell15

Beaches are packed early morning, best time of the day for a walk or a latte :)

Guest AKA63029

I must admit amazed when I worked for the councils in OZ.

Early starts were the norm for us if we had to work on the roads and time and again I would see peeps out jogging, running even at 5.30 in the morning.

Best time of the day in OZ, FOR FISHING as well.

I also found they seem to go by early to bed, early to rise.. Could never quite manage it myself ,lol..

When we first moved here ,we had a guy come and quote for some concreteing, we were still living in the rental and when he said i can come and do it at 4 tomorrow, i said oh ok i will be back from the school run and will make sure im here,, he laughed at me and said 'love i mean 4am, before the sun's up and its too hot to lay concrete'!!! LOL,,

Lesson 1 - Never become a concreter in Aus,lol

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

hmmmm.....9pm bed time......love it hahaha :wink: and being up at 6am is nothing new as I get up that time for uni and work! Could definitely adjust to those times when I emigrate :cute:

Guest Shell15

My brother and his son are painters, they are at work between 5 and 6 and surfing by 4.. What a life!

Considering we mostly used to rise when the sun came up and go to bed when it set and got dark, the whole staying up late thing is more something we've changed to doing with the advent of electricity, lightbulbs (and heating in winter). TV/computers also when you think about it. We sit and watch the crap they air at 11pm and beyond whereas when I was a kid, TV would go off air at 11pm or some such till the morning.

In farming you are up with the larks and in bed early (unless you have to be up late lambing or in summer doing silage or crops or some other thing needs attention or doing).

I don't feel I am missing out if I am in bed by 10 or 11pm and up at 6am. TBH I get quite a lot done in the morning and its lovely and peaceful taking the dog for a walk. Sure I stay up later if we have friends over or we go out, but going to bed at midnight every night is overrated and its fighting my natural body clock.

Edited by Guest

Guest Shell15

I think you may be refering to a different kind stevie lol TMI! :)

Guest Andy
no, a mean getting up in the morning? fit you on aboot?:embarrassed:

Alright Stevie, any news on when you might be off to oz?

Thinking about it, in the heat of the day, lots of things we may take for granted in a cooler climate are not really doable in intense heat.

So getting out and about early, for a dip or a run or some such makes sense to me. Waiting till evening means its still going to be hotter. Coolest part of the day would be that early start I'd reckon.

Alright Stevie, any news on when you might be off to oz?
nae sure pal , a really don't know, you?