You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

whoiam

No Offence meant-- Are Aussies dumb, drunk or racist?

Let me be clear-- this is not in anyway to be offensive to Aussies. All the Aussies ( albeit only a handful) that I have come across were kind, soft spoken and polite.

Taking on from another thread I'm just trying to explore why or whether Aussies are being perceived as the above.

Do you think Aussies in any kind of majority or noticeable proportion are either one of Dumb , Drunk or Racist?

Pomsinoz offers a good venue to discuss this topic because it would give a relatively unbiased opinion I think, with the majority of posters either British or Aussies. Just remember to keep it civil and not to do any racial bashing! :biggrin:.

Mainly I'm interested in knowing IF there is such a perception elsewhere ( other than in India) and what are the reasons for such a perception.

Edited by whoiam

Don't judge even if you've walked a mile in their shoes. They haven't walked in yours yet!

No, I have only met polite Australians.

Are there dumb, drunk or racist Australians? .......................................probably just like there are dumb drunk or racist English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, American and so on...............every race, creed or culture has it's misfits.

(RSMS 187) RCB 26.09.2013, Nomination 14.10.2013, Visa re-lodged 27.10.2013 non DRC. Child and Family Health nurse. Low risk country. Nomination and Visa both granted 03.12.2013. :jiggy:

Guest guest17301

I think there are Aussies that are all of the above just as there are poms the same...I hate generalisations but some prefer to pigeonhole people, it helps them to justify their own preferences

Edited by guest17301

Guest Guest16631

...........these mockumentary's................do little to foster good relations..................they just highlight the few to extraordinary heights..........,.breeding false impressions and........... Creating negative feelings IMO......and ime........

Just edited the opening post for a bit more clarification !

I hate generalisations myself, that's why I'm interested in knowing if there's such a perception amongst others and what could be the basis for it?

Edited by whoiam

Don't judge even if you've walked a mile in their shoes. They haven't walked in yours yet!

Guest guest17301

I think the reasons behind such perceptions are basically an ignorance of and general distaste for the aforementioned race...we all do it tbh...who hasnt generalised to some extent about any given nationality....its good to disprove the stereotypes though...I saw an old guy patient..the other day and asked him where he was from as I could hear a northern english twang...he was mortified...born and bred here..bloody poms he said...like Id just given him a big insult....Can we get you again next week he said at the end of the visit after Id done a fab job of his dressings...not bad for a Pom:wink:

I think the misconception of racism in australians is down to nationalism. By that i mean a deep pride in being australian which is great, but that will always be a double edged sword. With pride in the australian way of life comes a suspicion of other cultures that may 'dilute' aussie culture. I dont think that is racism but i can understand how people could perceive it that way.

I certainly dont think aussies are any more racist than brits. I have met a spectrum of aussies from the hippy one world types, to the out and out racist bogan types. I naturally tend to migrate towards the 'one world' types however, not necessarily hippies though...

My Brain Hurts!

Guest sh7t man no way

some are--it all depends on you personal perception,and what you class as dumb/drunk or racist--some people are rather sensitive about culture change when its not there culture they are living in--adapt or be offended the choice is yours

Guest The Ropey HOFF

These threads have been done over and over and over again and the consensus of opinion appears to be that the answer is NO' you will get a small minority on here who say different, but they usually say it, because the hate Australia already. Australians the majority are not Racist if PIO is anything to go by, i will not answer the other two questions which are offensive IMO. No offence meant to Whoiam.

I really think that the author of the TV programme that sparked this debate just added the words dumb and drunk to make it a nice catch phrase as just saying the word racist might not get people's blood to boil!

All countries harbour racists drunkards nd theifs, some of it s passed down through genes le ginger hair, if your ancestors were tat way inclined you ave a grater chance if being like them.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

As far as Indians go when I was living there in the nineties there def. was no perception of Oz land being racist as it was just another place you could go for a good education , just like the US or Uk, maybe a bit easier to get there. But I think that changed much recently-- say in the last 4-5 yrs or so -- with all the hype about students being attacked and to add to it several well publicised Cricket skirmishes.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I really think that the author of the TV programme that sparked this debate just added the words dumb and drunk to make it a nice catch phrase as just saying the word racist might not get people's blood to boil!

I think you are right, its provoked a reaction on here as well. Its impossible to measure things like this, like others have said, theres a certain amount of people like this in every country.

Guest Guest66881

Indians/Chinese will always be attacked in Oz, same as Indians/blacks will always be targeted in Britain, inbred racism so don't go telling me anything differently, we ALL grew up with hearing our parents and relatives saying black ********* this black ******** that, if you didn't you are obviously from Mars and have no real visa to be here.

I'ts just a stupid TV programme which is over dramatiesed thats all just like the Uk, look at the police programmes on the streets on a saturday night - just the yobs no normal people in them.

most british dont want immigration on scale that it is and the gov wont wake up to this for being too wet - its ruined the Uk.

Mind you they are more open with it with the car stickers 'fit in or f*ck off' etc... I think there a little less open minded or cultured thats all

I'ts just a stupid TV programme which is over dramatiesed thats all just like the Uk, look at the police programmes on the streets on a saturday night - just the yobs no normal people in them.

most british dont want immigration on scale that it is and the gov wont wake up to this for being too wet - its ruined the Uk.

Mind you they are more open with it with the car stickers 'fit in or f*ck off' etc... I think there a little less open minded or cultured thats all

who they telling to fit in? They are immagrants themselves.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Guest Guest66881

Yeah i will have chicken vindaloo plain rice two naans and a mango kulfi please mate.:wink:

Guest Ptp113

Those car stickers sound like the go. Where do you get them from?

http://www.theleader.com.au/news/local/news/crime-and-law/cronulla-street-death-manslaughter-verdict/2350761.aspx

Had read this a few weeks ago. Drunk guy battering up a Philippino thinking he was a Jap -- Why? Because he doesn't like Japs.

Sounds horrific -- ESP dismayed with the sentencing for murder.

I don't think something like this would happen here in the Uk and even if it did the guy would not have been let of so lightly!

As you are as well then. People born and permanently residing in that country are not immigrants.

http://www.theleader.com.au/news/local/news/crime-and-law/cronulla-street-death-manslaughter-verdict/2350761.aspx

Had read this a few weeks ago. Drunk guy battering up a Philippino thinking he was a Jap -- Why? Because he doesn't like Japs.

Sounds horrific -- ESP dismayed with the sentencing for murder.

I don't think something like this would happen here in the Uk and even if it did the guy would not have been let of so lightly!

Mistaken identity/race would happen everywhere.

Guest Ptp113

Immagrants for the second time tonight. Back on the turps mate?

As far as Indians go when I was living there in the nineties there def. was no perception of Oz land being racist as it was just another place you could go for a good education , just like the US or Uk, maybe a bit easier to get there. But I think that changed much recently-- say in the last 4-5 yrs or so -- with all the hype about students being attacked and to add to it several well publicised Cricket skirmishes.

Yes, those incidents harmed some Australian's opinion of Indians as well...I heard comments from Australians who now think Indians are racist after reading some of the terrible inaccurate and inflammatory reporting in the Indian press. This was on top of the Indian crowds doing monkey impersonations and holding up monkey signs to an Australian crickter of mixed West Indian background. Shame these generalisations are developing.

Indians/Chinese will always be attacked in Oz, same as Indians/blacks will always be targeted in Britain, inbred racism so don't go telling me anything differently, we ALL grew up with hearing our parents and relatives saying black ********* this black ******** that, if you didn't you are obviously from Mars and have no real visa to be here.

Don't agree. Australia does not have the history of antagonism towards Indians that some in the UK do due to different migration patterns. Also, I'm an Aussie and my parents have never insulted a black person like that in their life. Ever.