VETASSESS -Electrician practical -what to expect!!

Guest bernie

• 4 months later...
Guest WillieK
This is quite worrying, we are in the process of doing our paper based assessment ready to send off for Hubby being a sparky, if when we arrive he still has to do these courses to obtain licence A its a bit costly, and lengthly too as only getting a wage on apprentice level isn't much to support a family. Considering the change from TRA to vetassess increased so much cost wise for the out come to be no diffenet when you arrive, It all seems a bit wrong, i'm a bit reluctant to apply for vetasses just yet after reading your post.

Bit unsure what to do ?????????

I am from South Africa and lineed-up for practical assessment in CapeTown.Do i need to know Australian installation rules?

Regards

Willie:idea:

• 3 months later...
Guest MarkandNatalie

Hi,

I don't know if this will be any use to anyone but it's worth a try.

My boyfriend and I are planning to move to Victoria at the beginning of next year.

Mark has gone through VETASSESS as this was recomended by our agent (AMC - Australian Migration Consultants - very good) and also on the immi.gov website.

We were really confused between the whole Vetassess / TRA thing but after hours and hours of searching on the interned, in which I lose an eye:err:, I think it's a little bit clearer after looking at these two website pages:

Overseas applicants - This applies to QLD. I think that it is the same in most states.

Electrician (General) 4311-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information - This covers all states.

He passed the practical in April and we lodged our visa in May.

We were initially going to apply for the independant visa subclass 175 but were informed that since the changes with this visa, we should apply for State Sponsorship visa subclass 176.

We have been told by our agent that these visa's have been going through really quick (8-10 weeks), unsure of the reason.

At the moment we are just waiting to hear back from DIAC, we are sending off for our medical and police checks this week.

If anyone has any question's about anything we have done so far then we will be happy to try and help.

Im already an Australian citizen so it's just the other half that needs to be sorted...men hahaha just kidding.

Good Luck and I was only joking about the eye thing. M&N xx

Guest timpage

Hello, I see that not much has been put up on the forum about the practical test of late. Although there is one thing, which is helpful.

I was wondering if anyone new how much theory and what theory you have to do?

Is it basic ohms law and power calculations, do you need to know about capacitors in circuits etc. I remember the basics but most other stuff in your apprenticeship is forgotten and rarely used. I have my old text books from college but don't want to waste time reading up on crap I don't need to.

I have my test in Blackburn on the 7th july, I need this to apply for my state sponsorship for Queensland ( which I have just found out from my agent today are taking electricians off their skill shortage list on the 7th July, the day off the practical.. Great). If anyone has details of what the test is I would be grateful, I'm sure everyone is having a hard time with it, but I'm starting to feel something is telling me I shouldn't be going. Ha.

I've been in Brisbane for the last 5 months with my girlfriend who has been there a year almost, she has residency. I was advised by an agent to come out and apply for TRA whilst on holiday visa, which I did. TRA sent back they weren't going to look at it on a holiday visa, good agent don't you think? Waste of $300 and over a month waiting for a reply. This was back in february applied, So now have come back to sit the earliest test I could get on, which was July 7th and to keep my employment time up, so I can apply for residency. Not much work around though, so have been working for apprentice money just to keep the payslips coming.

Its a real pain in the arse all this. At this rate I'm going to have to marry my girlfriend to get in. Ha ha. Any help over next couple days would be great. Thanks

Tim

timpage;

Here is a brief description of how the day goes, this has been posted before

The day starts at about 0800 and goes on till everyone is finished, break at 1200 for 30 min.

You need a scientific calculator, they say you need tools but they do provide everything, you just look like an idiot when you turn up without any...

The first thing you do when you get there is prove who you are. So remember id.

Next is the test

This is about 18 questions and goes as follows,

Ohms law

Power factor.

RMS values

Electrical units

Single and three phase power calculations.

Transformer ratios

Measurement of I (Current) and V (Voltage) in ELV circuit.

From a design (given) carry out a functioning light and power installation within time limit, use safe working techniques

-Switchboard design and protection

-Test installation and record results to verify compliance.

From circuit diagram design, connect and fault find a DOL starter and 3 phase motor circuit

-incl start/stop station, thermal overload, star-delta configuration, overload setting

-answer oral questions on motor circuits.

Also there is a small pin board you need to connect from a given drawing this is 3 resistors in series with a 4th in parallelist goes like this, measure resistors to find appropriate ones,coonect in pin board, measure voltage at end of pin board, measure amps (Current) of different parts of pin board.

Perform disconnect/connect of electrical equipment using safe working procedure (this means tag, and lock) test equipment and then reconnect.

This is very health and safety orientated they really want to see you do it right..

Guest timpage

thankyou no1spark for the information, thats great.

Do they supply a multi meter for testing resistors and current, I have one but uncalibrated.

and insulation resistance testers?

Do i have to supply locks for locking off?

Thanks again for your help, I'm bricking it.

Tim

susie one;

i have collated a load of information for people who are sparks & intend to migrate to Australia

here goes if you need help then just ask me

To who it may concern on this site.

I spoke to the main person at PEER Training in South Australia on 3-6-2009, this is what happens between ARTC & vatessess. When you make your application for migration, you supply information regarding your training the length of training; you also provided evidence of the company's you have worked for.

If you don't provide enough information or the type of information they may require for easy processes of the application this is where the two different routes come into play.

To Gain the Electrical Mechanic ARTC

1st if you give info of work styles like lots of contracting work on industrial, commercial, domestic work you supply enough evidence & info on the type of installations you have worked on also all differing tools used. If they feel that's enough evidence you shall be granted the ARTC Electrical Mechanic, end of story.

You may also be invited to do a trade test for ARTC again depending on the amount of info you put in the application, most case these days expect to be invited to do a trade test.

This system lets you apply to sit the Unrestricted Electrical License when you get here I recommend PEER in S/A that’s the easiest route believe me.

If you don't provide enough info, you shall be pointed down the Vatessess route.

Both ARTC & vatessess now have the system where you shall have to do a trade test no ifs or buts maybe in in the UK.

With the Vatessess You still end up with the Cert for migration but in the long run it’s a nightmare mainly due to other components that come into play when you’re in Australia.

This means you can still do the Unrestricted Electrical License exams at PEER when here, however there is a different system for Vatessess students.

For people who get the Cert of Electrical Mechanic & General Electrician, Electrical Fitter can also attend PEER to do there A class license no problems.

Now then apart from ARTC.

People who have been steered down the Vatessess route & people with General Electrician this can cause massive problems in other states, some states require what’s called Gap training this means you must work onsite for 12 months keeping a log book of all work completed on a continual basis without any breaks in the work time of the 12 months.+ 160 hours evening courses with NO interruptions in work meaning if you loose your job you start again with the logbook .

you won’t get a Unrestricted Electrical License until you have done this logbook & training you only get a ”Restricted license” meaning you’re not allowed to work on your own.??? Who is going to employ a person who must have all work checked on a daily basis.

This is mainly for people doing Vatessess, people can go to PEER in S/A do the exams then have the Unrestricted Electrical License transferred to the state you are going to reside in then your fine, But as I say this is for vatessess people mainly even though you may do the PEER route you must do this Log Book for 12 months if your living in QLD

Problems are

lower pay

work checked continually

if you have a gap in the 12 months your buggered.

You can only have a restricted license for a few years then that’s it.

As I say I got this from the main man on Friday 03-6-2009 from PEER S/A

I hope this info is of some help to you all maybe not what you’re expecting but its real information

When you do the application you must have all documents signed & dated then the documents become a legal document make lots of copies make sure all is correct or the application shall be returned to you with little info stating why or what the problem may be from the migration dept.

It’s” illegal” to work in any state across Australia without the Unrestricted Electrical License, NO insurance company would touch a claim if anything was to go wrong.

Then if you intend to work for yourself after obtaining the Unrestricted Electrical License you then go to the nearest Tafe (College) and do a 12 week x 1 night per week doing a Business course (Melbourne the 12 week course)

When you have passed this course then you must obtain Insurance. It’s become normal now for Indemnity cover of $10,000,000 (Ten Million) dollars insurance cover.

Then you can quote for jobs in a legal capacity as I say this is only if you intend to be working for yourself, if you work for a company then all you require is the Unrestricted Electrical License

If you intend to setup your own company & you have the Unrestricted Electrical License every job you do for any customer you must supply that customer with an COES (Certificate of Electrical Safety) one copy direct to the customer one copy to Energy Safe the other copy you keep for 7 years. Most installations are now being audited to about 30% in all states.

Getting the ATRC or ART or Vatessess may seem to be the easy part once your here this is exactly what must be achieved to work as a fully licensed electrician in Australia.

Most Migration “Agents” (That’s a laugh) do NOT inform people about the information above you pay them your money then that’s your lot you’re on your own when you get here.

I hope this information is of some value to any people who may be applying for migration.

Myself I try to help people around Melbourne, there is another person on British Ex Pats who lives in QLD his name on the site is Steve’O he is fantastic and very switched on he is also available for assistance with information for the migration process.

The duration of the Unrestricted Electrical License is 3 years it’s your responsibility to renew the license you get a renewal reminder then that's your lot if you DON'T renew you must sit all exams again.

The duration of the Contractors course in Melbourne is about 12 weeks x one night per week

Cost of Unrestricted Electrical License about $270.00 per 5 years

Electrical Contractors course Now has become Small Business Course at PEER in S/A cost $1,160.00 to date 27/5/2009 one payment only. The course 2 x modules 1st Legal requirements + 2nd financial costing & planning the course is completed over three Sundays at PEER total duration of the course = 60 hours inclusive of projects completed at home. (Most of the work is achieved at home)

Cost of Contractors license about $300.00 per year.

Cost of Insurance depends on how much cover you require I have $10,000,000 (Ten Million) costing $500.00 per year.

There is also a Basic Safety induction course x 6 hour done in 1 day $80.00 at PEER

The original Certificate was the Green card now it’s become the White card.

This card is recognised Australia wide, most sites shall require you to hold this card or you may NOT be allowed on site to work.??

A bit more info Regarding Licensing for Electricians

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...heet_oseas.pdf

Trade Recognition Australia (TRA)

If you are a qualified electrical tradesperson from a country other than those recognised by VETASSESS, you can obtain an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTCs) from Trade Recognition Australia to assist in your application for a restricted electrical workers registration. TRA will assess your current qualifications/experience and technical skills and list the units of competency that you have completed on the ARTC.

Once you have been issued with an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate, you may then make an application for a workers registration with our office.

If you are recognised as an Electrician, Electrical Fitter or Electrical Mechanic, you may apply for a restricted registration with the condition: any electrical work under the supervision of a registered electrical worker.

To have this limitation removed or to apply for an unrestricted registration, you will also be required to provide evidence of completion of the approved AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules course and exam.

To obtain your unrestricted Electrical licence you will need an appropriate Certificate recognising your skills eg ARTC,ART,VETASSESS or similar you will also need to complete what’s known as the gap training of approximately 160 hours

Over a period of 12 months with No Breaks in employment

To complete the process you will need to be employed, carry a work place

log and have a restricted electrical licence (fees for the licence are in the area of $300.00 dollars)

For further information on the AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules course and exam you may wish to contact either of the following organisations:

Regency Institute of TAFE (08) 8348 4426

PEER Tec (08) 8348 1200

Regards & Best of luck with your applications, if you require help just ask

Arthur Quinn Melbourne

(PS) If you don’t pay the licenses or insurance, you’re unable to work in a legal capacity anywhere in Australia.

Guest MarkandNatalie

Hi Tim,

I've emailed you Marks number, he said you can ring him if you want and he will talk you through it. Our agent gave is someone to ring before he did his practical and found it helped alot speaking to someone who has done it.

Thanks

Natalie

Tim, i have been told they do supply all tools & testers, but if it was me i would be taking my own.

if you can do a double bend in conduit & know how to wire stop starts for motors you shall be fine. there are calcs on power factor, power calcs, currents in resistors in parallel then series. ratios for step down transformers, questions like what's the choke for in a florescent light fitting what's the capacitor for in the fitting.

there shall be a switchboard (Consumer Unit) you wire a radial circuit for a power point make sure its all earthed test every thing DON'T assume. record all results good or bad.

when you have done the motor stuff he shall introduce a fault, it will be on the stop or start button.

chances are you shall have to do a disconnect / reconnect of an appliance, you must get this right or you fail the entire day, when doing any testing always wear the correct clothing with gloves.

when doing the disconnect, reconnect there shall be a power source reading 230V they supply the tester make sure the tester is working 1st by using that 230v reference.

DO not touch any steel work on your appliance at all, it could be live when you confirm the 230v supply is good then you 1st use the 230v as your 1st test by testing between the live pin of the socket & any steelwork of the appliance for a good earth.

i have a procedure if you would like it.

Guest timpage

Thanks Arthur,

did the test, was very nervous at the start, my assessor was a nice guy. Passed it all, got a few questions wrong on the written test, mainly on power factor, didn't revise that.Out of there by 2 30, back in portsmouth by 7 30.

Glad its over.

Tim

Tim

• 3 years later...

Hi

Can anyone who has taken vetassess practical test give me any advice on written part. My husband is taking test next week, he has got pointers off here about topics that are covered but is looking for some sample questions so he knows level of difficulty and format they are in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I've just landed and are trying find my way through the Australian way.. I visited Adelaide 4 years ago and was told by a techincal adviser for a government body which excapes me now, and now his card is mmmm 8 weeks away as it got put in to shipping at the last minute. that he would give me a restricted licence there and then, I would just be required to sit the regs test..to get a A licence.

Does anyone have experience of what may be required for a NICEIC approved contractor qualified in my own right /principal duty holder, qualifing supervisor., for the past 5years.

Do I really have to "START ALL OVER?"

Any assistance would be appreciated... please email me trimoto@aol.com

Archived