VETASSESS -Electrician practical -what to expect!!

Guest bernie

Hi All

Just to say that we have received a letter from Vetassess, and it confirms that I have a successful outcome, and may proceed to apply for my visa. An 'offshore record' will be sent to me shortly and this is for presentation to any future employer.

We're now in celebration mode for the new year!!! :jiggy:

Practical Assessment

If you are due to do a practical electrician assessment with VETASSESS, it will take place in City College, Birmingham, and will be over 2 days. It is your responsibility to find accomodation in Birmingham (I did £49 Holiday Inn Express)!

A practical assessment is outlined, and you are provided with an individual work bay in the college. You are provided with info on what is required -ie cables run in conduit (saddle bends etc), surface mounted, distribution board, accessories etc. All materials are provided (eg switches, cable, d/b,mcb's, conduit). At the end (allowed 3hrs) you will need to test the electrical installation (IR and continuity), record results, and finally make the inst. live. I recommend you take your IR/Cont tester (make sure it's calibrated!).

After a brief lunch, you are then given a 3 page written test, and this covers questions such as resistors in parallel, series, units of measurements etc. The type of thing you learn at college....

There are another series of practicals. One of them is to wire a DOL starter from scratch with a remote on and emergency stop. After completion and working, a fault is made on this, and you have to carry out full test proceedures to rectify.

After all this, you are then given a series of technical questions verbally, and then this is followed by a technical interview.

I was absolutely knackered at the end!!

Everything is explained very well to you by the assessor. You are under constant supervision, and throughout the practical assessment you will be asked technical questions, such as expected readings on inspection and testing work, expected earth fault loop readings etc. This is from memory, and you are not allowed any books such as BS7671 on site guide etc.

You are required to wear PPE clothing etc as required by the college.

You will then find out if you have been successful by receipt of letter from Vetassess. The assessor is not able to provide you with the outcome.

It's worth all the hastle, because at the end of the day you are assessed here and not in Oz, and you are able to apply for provisional licence when you arrive in Oz. The assessor is from Box Hill TAFE, which is one of the organisations that carries out assessments of migrants in Oz.

Hope this helps anyone going down the electrician route with Vetassess.

Happy 2008!!!

Bernie the hubby

Hi,

Info great thanks

My o/h will have to do electrician practical so find your info very useful. On receipt of your result was you given a breakdown of areas you passed or didn't pass etc? is there a pass rate or does it all have to be done 100% to be successful?

Well done

Guest Tom the Pom

Sounds a complete doddle!!!

Any half decent spark will walk it.

It's just to sort out the chancers out:err:

Well done mate - just the small matter of the visa now:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Sounds a complete doddle!!!

Any half decent spark will walk it.

It's just to sort out the chancers out:err:

Yep! I agree it reads pretty close to the restricted electrical license course plus a bit. They're obviously not out out to make it hard, just making sure you are what you say you are... which seems more than fair enough to me. :)

I hope they eventually extend this kind of basic testing across all trades and professions. It strikes me that there's been too many eroding the quality and value of the apprenticeship system. :)

Hi Bernie,

I'm glad you passed. It's Geoff from Portsmouth. Your thread was very good I think I will post one simular on Aussie move. Tracy the other half has made a start on our Visa, we hope to be in Perth for next Christmas if not before. Do you know how many of the other Guys passed. That had to be one of the hardest exams I have ever taken and for days after I was still going through things and how I could have done things different.

My friend saw your thread and gave me a call so I thought it might be an idea to stay in touch this way. Wishing you all the best in the New Year

Geoff and family

icon7.gif

Guest bernie

Hi Geoff

Sorry mate for late reply, been trying to motivate myself into work mode!!

Yep I agree it was quite tough as we said at 8pm that evening! I heard from Steve, he also passed so I expect it was 100% pass for all. They could definately improve on the practical for the next lot.

We are in the process of the visa at the mo.

I think this year is certainly going to be full of action and preparation!!

I am waiting for the Offshore Record which I am sure will have full details of how we coped under the spot light!

Was reading an article recently, and it would seem that there is a strong motion to do away with the vetassess system for trades since the new Oz government has come in.

Will comms more soon mate. Please stay in touch

Wishing all the best for 2008 to you and your family

speak soon, Phil

• 2 months later...
Guest iaint

Hi

just thought i'd reply to discussion point. This is not intended to put anyone off coming to australia, but i think you need to know what to expect when you arrive, especially if you are bringing a family.

I passed the prcatical assessment in birmingham in december and iam now here in adelaide australia. I was under the same impression as yuour self. Do all the work before i arrive here. How wrong was I!!!!!!. I went to the SA licensing offices in adelaide with my OTSR and to my shock and disbelief they had never heard of Vetassess!!. They informed me I needed a TRA certificate and the wiring rules to apply for an A Licence. They said they would look into this and get baack to me, which they didn't. I went back a week later and had the exact same response!!. This time i managed to speak to a supervisor who said that she had just spoken to the TRA and that they were still excepting applications. I informed that the process changed last september!!!!. Basically the upshot of all this is that the process changed SEVEN months ago but nothying as been put into place yet!!!!!!.

They offered me a C licence in the interim which is basically a 1st year apprentince!! I politely turned this down. Meanwhile I have been in touch with vetassess who have been apologetic. They said that i have arrived too soon to which i informed them it wsa seven months since you changed the process!!

They have now informed me that i have to go back to college to do the following courses at my own expense. (I passed all modules in the practical assessment in Birmingham)

AS/NZ Wiring rules = $1150 (including books and studying at PEER TEC)

Occupational Health & Safety

Electrical Safe Working

Electrical Installation-protectice methods & devices

Electrical Installation-design & equipment

Electrical Installation-testing and verification

Now i haven't put the cost of the other courses because not to my amazement none of these courses have been set up yet!!

As a rough guess, I would estimate about $600 each. SA licensing body in the meantime got back in touch with me and offered me a b licence which is the equivalent of a third or fourth year apprentice. - As well as doing the above courses, you will need to gain 12 months work experience before you can apply for an A licence (an A licence is the licence you need to be earning full wages, most employers (nearly all) ask for an A licence! i.e, with a B licence you will be on less money (apprentice wages) whilst financing the above courses and if you have a family supporting them.

All the jobs that are advertised here ask for an A-licence and employers want you to be unsupervised. This is particularly difficult to go to interviews and advise potential employers that I have a B licence when I'm up against other migrants who've been through the TRA process and now have an A-licence - as all you needed to do if you had a TRA certficate was to do the wiring rules. Also if you are wanting to do alarms and data work or work for yourself you will have to go back to college to do a licence for each one of these.

I am now waiting for these courses to be set up. Hope this helps, if anybody wants to know anything else, drop me a mail at twiggi_69@hotmail.com

Guest iaint

Hi

just thought i'd reply to discussion point. This is not intended to put anyone off coming to australia, but i think you need to know what to expect when you arrive, especially if you are bringing a family.

I passed the prcatical assessment in birmingham in december and iam now here in adelaide australia. I was under the same impression as yuour self. Do all the work before i arrive here. How wrong was I!!!!!!. I went to the SA licensing offices in adelaide with my OTSR and to my shock and disbelief they had never heard of Vetassess!!. They informed me I needed a TRA certificate and the wiring rules to apply for an A Licence. They said they would look into this and get baack to me, which they didn't. I went back a week later and had the exact same response!!. This time i managed to speak to a supervisor who said that she had just spoken to the TRA and that they were still excepting applications. I informed that the process changed last september!!!!. Basically the upshot of all this is that the process changed SEVEN months ago but nothying as been put into place yet!!!!!!.

They offered me a C licence in the interim which is basically a 1st year apprentince!! I politely turned this down. Meanwhile I have been in touch with vetassess who have been apologetic. They said that i have arrived too soon to which i informed them it wsa seven months since you changed the process!!

They have now informed me that i have to go back to college to do the following courses at my own expense. (I passed all modules in the practical assessment in Birmingham)

Electrical Safe Working

Now i haven't put the cost of the other courses because not to my amazement none of these courses have been set up yet!!

As a rough guess, I would estimate about $600 each. SA licensing body in the meantime got back in touch with me and offered me a b licence which is the equivalent of a third or fourth year apprentice. - As well as doing the above courses, you will need to gain 12 months work experience before you can apply for an A licence (an A licence is the licence you need to be earning full wages, most employers (nearly all) ask for an A licence! i.e, with a B licence you will be on less money (apprentice wages) whilst financing the above courses and if you have a family supporting them.

All the jobs that are advertised here ask for an A-licence and employers want you to be unsupervised. This is particularly difficult to go to interviews and advise potential employers that I have a B licence when I'm up against other migrants who've been through the TRA process and now have an A-licence - as all you needed to do if you had a TRA certficate was to do the wiring rules. Also if you are wanting to do alarms and data work or work for yourself you will have to go back to college to do a licence for each one of these.

I am now waiting for these courses to be set up. Hope this helps, if anybody wants to know anything else, drop me a mail at twiggi_69@hotmail.com

Hi

Electrical Safe Working

This is quite worrying, we are in the process of doing our paper based assessment ready to send off for Hubby being a sparky, if when we arrive he still has to do these courses to obtain licence A its a bit costly, and lengthly too as only getting a wage on apprentice level isn't much to support a family. Considering the change from TRA to vetassess increased so much cost wise for the out come to be no diffenet when you arrive, It all seems a bit wrong, i'm a bit reluctant to apply for vetasses just yet after reading your post.

Bit unsure what to do ?????????

Guest bernie

So sorry that this has happened Iain, it sounds like a worry and not acceptable when the whole systems gives the impression that the vetassess allows you to do the ground work here and work straight away in Aus. Is this just South Australia, as I have heard different states vary? Can you go higher on this? It certainly isn't clear that further courses should be undertaken that end and seeing as we have been the guinea pigs on the new vetassess assessments surely we have a right to give our feedback. It's crazy that they haven't heard of vet. there and a worry. We are happy to back you up!

Guest iaint

Hi

I have sent an e-mail to Vetassess last thursday, complaining about the situation, also asking if there is any financial help towards these courses but they are yet to reply. When i spoke to her last week she said a letter oulining the gap training was attatched to the Offshore Technical Skills record, but i told her that the one that was posted to me and the one that i picked up in melbourne from there offices didn't have this attatched. Did you guys get this attatchment? I also said i would be informing newspapers etc and chat foums so people are aware before they come over.

I am led to believe that all states are the same in regards to the modules. I would contact the licencing authourites in which ever state your going to seek advice.

I'm still in shock myself as i was led to believe that doing the practical in the uk would mean that i wouldnt need to do anything other than the wiring rules when i arrived. I thought the only gap training i would have to do was if i had failed any part of the practical, but i got 100%.

will keep you all posted

Iaint

Guest sneaky

My point of view is ,Save yourself the hassle of the assesment in the uk and apply for your ARTC cert. Theres no cost if you have passed the TRA.

You can then apply for your Permit to work when you arrive in Oz.

Everyone has to do the ECL001 course to get your licence when you arrive, Theres no need to do the practical in the UK, just seems like a waste of time and extra stress.

Hope this helps

My point of view is ,Save yourself the hassle of the assesment in the uk and apply for your ARTC cert. Theres no cost if you have passed the TRA.

You can then apply for your Permit to work when you arrive in Oz.

Everyone has to do the ECL001 course to get your licence when you arrive, Theres no need to do the practical in the UK, just seems like a waste of time and extra stress.

Hope this helps

Hi, If you haven't passed the TRA isn't this the only route to go to get skills assessed as a sparky?

Regards

Guest bernie

Hi Iain

Thanks for the info mate. Can't believe you're already out there!! I contacted Geoff last night (who was also on the course same as us) about your problems, and to be honest, it sounds to me that vetassess is a complete waste of time and money. It's a shame that you have to go through all that process, pay to stay in Birmingham for the night, paperwork that you go through etc all for nothing!!! And yet it is the only route you can take to get a perm visa.

Yes we both got the letter and it basically says that you need to take all those courses, buy all the books etc, and work for 12 months with an employer to get experience.

Can you keep me up to date mate because I think I'm going to try and stink up a fuss if I can!!!

Take care bud, please stay in touch..... Phil

Guest bernie

Hi again Iain

Just looked into the vetassess paperwork, and it does state that gap training is required for those modules outlined, but that this is to be given by an RTO. Further, experience is gained through working with an employer for 12 months.

A second document that I have also states that as a provisional holder we are allowed to undetake electrical work under supervision. A provisional holder is someone that has been issued the off shore record, and awarded the Certificate 3 in Electrotechnology Electrician, (which is what we were issued). For SA the permit to work is 'restricted electrical workers registration' issued by the office of consumer and business afairs.......

Sounds a b..... nightmare, so I will be contacting the Elec Safety Office for QLD, and find out what the score is.

Chin up mate...

Phil

Guest joeloaded

Just saw this on workplace.gov.au site for trades people.

• AUD $300 for ARTC application
  • AUD $270 for trade test (if required)
  • AUD $130 for replacement of a lost certificate
  • No application fee is required for an initial ARTC application from Australian residents whose skills have been successfully assessed by TRA for
  • migration purposes

Trade skill test if Required Why if required do you not have to do a skills test?

Hey Hi All,

Can i ask just started looking at what is needed to work as a sparks over in Aus.I thought it was straight forward when you arrive you do a Written test to proof you knowwhat your on about and that was that.I appear to be misinformed.Is this the same if you has a electrical company to sponser you?

Cheers for any Help

Heading to Brinsbane Hopefully!!!!!!!

Hi, i may too be wrong here as getting a bit confused with it all now but

I spoke to dep of immigration to see if hubby needed skills assessed thru vetassess if being sponsored, their response being No only if applying for perm residency would you need your skills assessing, unless your employer or recruitment company request it, its den to their discretion. So if your being sponsored on 457 you dont actually need skills assessing unless requested to do so, however i think you will if its perm sponsor visa.

Hope this helps.

P.S just to be nosey who are sponsoring you? we too have looked at this route

Kind Regards

Guest shar07

Hi all this is a complete nightmare, do you reckon after passing Vetassess you have to get ARTC, it seems this way even though I thought the whole point of Vetassess was to avoid this. We are booked in for the April assessment and will still have the hassle of ARTC it seems. What a complete waste of money.

Guest bernie

Hi

Yes, sorry to say that you get no ARTC from Vetassess. Yep, I agree, a waste of time. Perhaps when you do the practical, you can speak to the assessor and find out exactly what the point is in doing the practical.

Going to have a drink or two or threeeeeeee

x phil

Guest joeloaded

Cheers for reply.

Done a little more looking and making sense of it all.

does look abit better just not sure if i have to do an assessment.Will probably have to like you said.

Thanks for that.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chris_mac

Hi Bernie, Great post again! Did you have any experience on DOL starters with remotes etc. I have never done one. Mainly domestic work. Can any spark do one? Is it hard or simple? Do they ask to see the calibration cert?

regards

Chris

• 5 months later...
Guest susie one

Hi phil, congratulations on geting your visa, now you can chill , it didnt take you long from the last time i looked at your forom,you were upto passing your test well done just 5 months to get your visas, my hubi is electrican and is very nervos of his 2nd test in blackburn oct this year as he failed his in april, i was wondering if you can shed some light on the motor part of the exam as my hubi dont work on that type , he works in houses etche beens geting books latest 1 is electrical installation work just to revise on,also did you find outanything on the elec safety for qld and what the score was, do you know anything about doing a course in oz when you arrive in oz, and how long is the course and how much, i looked on 1 of your answers to another guy that everyone has to do a course ecl001 is that correct then you get your licence, its like getting blood out of a stone trying to get info from our agent she tells us were not on that stage yet so we dont need to worrie at mo, but as this is our future we need to know what lies ahead of us, anyway all the very best of luck your going same place as us, im a reg childminder hope to carry on this there, good luck, sue and ian

Guest susie one

Hello Bernie & indeed anyone else out there that can help me!!! I need a circuit diagram for a Single phase DOL Motor with a remote start and emergency stop......tried to find one with no luck,need to revise this for the trade test at the end of this month...any help will be gratefully received...Thankyou,( Husband of Susie One)

Guest chris_mac
Hello Bernie & indeed anyone else out there that can help me!!! I need a circuit diagram for a Single phase DOL Motor with a remote start and emergency stop......tried to find one with no luck,need to revise this for the trade test at the end of this month...any help will be gratefully received...Thankyou,( Husband of Susie One)

ADS8 - Circuit Diagrams

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

TRA Retuned Oct (Skill path D removed)

Re-applied Vetassess 01.01.08

Vetassess Paper Assess Passed 10.04.08

House up for sale 28.03.08 sold 14.04.08 (3 weeks, crikey)

Vetassess Practical 15.07.08

Practical Passed 11.08.08

176 Visa Application submitted 11.09.08

DIAC Acknowledgement 24.09.08

Sent Police checks 27.08.08 - Recieved 06.09.08

Archived