Sheepskin rugs etc - any advice on shipping

drsurf

Hello all,

I have looked at the AQUIS list of items of interest and it seems that most of my household effects will be of interest!

Can anyone advise about the shipping of the following items - have you shipped them successfully?

sheepskin and cowhide rugs (commercially tanned)

shells

african wooden masks

is there another thread that I've missed which would help me?

thanks!

Guest jeffner1974

HI,

Sorry, i have no advice for you just bumping his up as i'm interested in any answers as i have a few items like this myself.

hopefully someone will come along.

surely though your shippers (if you've got round to that yet?) should be able to advise you better on what you can/can't take and how it'll be wrapped ect

jen

Guest The Pom Queen

As the rug will have been treated I can't see you having any problems, I will check for you just in case but it won't be until they open tomorrow.

I have a big woollen rug due to be seen by AQIS on wed (20/6) so hopefully it will be OK - ironically it's made in new zealand from NZ wool, bought in UK, now shipped to Aus!

The wooden masks - I've taken one through airport quarantine before & they checked it thoroughly to see if it had any holes or cracks in the wood; mine didn't so they let me through. Apparently, if it did, they could have fumigated or destroyed.....

Really not sure on shells....

I have been informed that the sheepskin needs to have a standard mark (like British Kite mark type thing), We have 3 sheepskin rugs (one bought in aus the last time we were there!), but only one has a stamp on the back, so we are only taking that one, the Aussie one and the other one will be left here.

We asked one of the shippers about our shells (we have a large collection from around the world), his first reaction was no way, but when I stressed the sentimental value he suggested that each one would have to be identified by name and country and all cleaned.

We have cleaned them by soaking in a bleach and water mix and then polished them with mineral oil (this is what they do in shell shops) and hubby has the long project of identification:wacko: Although we have decided to take them with us on the plane and talk them through customs, instead of shipping.

Guest The Pom Queen

This was the reply I received from Liam at PSS

Hi Kate

No Problem, basically Importation of products from endangered species is prohibited but other products are subject to inspection and treatment if necessary. In my experience anything such as fur coats and sheepskin rugs would normally be refused entry or incur a hefty fumigation/treatment charge. We recommend to all customers that they check with the Department of Agriculture, fisheries and forestry, I have attached a brochure above and web links below for the customer to read and also contact details for DAFF, I would recommend that the customer emails DAFF before shipping.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

Full details on restricted and prohibited imports are available from the Wildlife Protection Authority web site

www.biodiversity.environment.gov.au/wildlife

or

http://www.ea.gov.au/biodiversity/trade-use/cites/index.html

Best regards

Liam

• 9 months later...
Guest isis1mcc

I boxed up wooden African mask and figureheads as well as lambs wool cushions African animal hide rugs and sent it to myself from UK to au and just declared what was in the boxes, as far I could tell they boxes never even got opened and arrived safely.

No, we didn't wash our rug. It is probably 2 meters by 3 meters - way too big. Customs looked at it but didin't pull it out of its tea chest (probably because they knew there was no way they'd get it back in again as it took up the entire box and was bulging everywhere!). We bought it second hand off someone in Deal (by the sea for those who don't know) so it even had sand in it. In fact, a couple of months after unpacking it in Aus, I was stabbed whilst walking on it and discovered a fish hook!

We also shipped lots of camping equipment (tent, walking poles, hiking packs, walking boots etc), ski equipment, some tools and parts (including a fuel pump). Everything was declared, customs did look but we didn't need anything fumigated.

• 7 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience of fumigation costs? Everyone mentions how expensive it is, but I have no idea of what the actual cost would be? 

Can anyone give any indication about fumigation costs if I ended up in that situation? I've got about 7 sheepskin rugs to bring with me, would be sad to leave them behind!