Transferring credit card balance from UK - any chance?

Hoops

Hello everyone!

I am having a bit of a problem with my UK based credit card - I have fallen into the usual trap of intending to pay it all off before the special 0% rate ended - and failed.

I am on a residence visa but have only been here since January. I have a good credit rating in the UK - don't know if that makes any difference here? I am not eligible for another UK based credit card b

ecause I don't live there but also it seems I can't transfer a UK balance to an Australian credit card.

I am supporting 2 people on my modest salary so I can't afford to pay it off quickly and I owe about 3000 pounds. In the mean time the interest rate on my debt is now 27% and within a few months we will have

to go home because it will be so extortionate we wont' be able to afford to live. Help! Any suggestions?

Rachel

Guest guest71686

I would say its impossible to transfer the balance but i'm by no means an expert. When I got here last year I was advised to wait 6 months until getting a credit card here once they see pay going in regularly its fairly straightforward. UK credit rating is irrelevant in OZ in my experience.

I think it may be a case of moving money home despite the bad but improving exchange rate

"I would say its impossible to transfer the balance but i'm by no means an expert. When I got here last year I was advised to wait 6 months until getting a credit card here once they see pay going in regularly its fairly straightforward. UK credit rating is irrelevant in OZ in my experience.

I think it may be a case of moving money home despite the bad but improving exchange rate"

Hi can1983 , Thanks for the info - If i had any money to move home I would move it!

On a more positive note, my sister who is in the UK spoke to the UK post office on my behalf and they said I can apply for their credit card if I have a UK address - which i do as I have a house which I am renting out to a friend.

So I will give that a go. If it is successful i will post on here in case anyone else is in a similar position.

Cheers

Rachel (Hoops)