Is it worth spending life savings to get to Australia?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
You don't get it. They want to live, not just exist!

to be fair about it, i think the OP has little option really, their life savings is dwindling, because the hubby can't find work, the only other good idea, is to try and find work further south in the UK, but thats not going to be easy at all.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with this. From the sounds of it really doesnt sound like its going to get any better for them here, so whats the options... Stay in the UK run out of money eventually probably if no more work is found or take a chance. I've saw people on here saying they've managed to do it on a smaller budget so maybe they wouldnt have to use all their savings afterall, just a thought. It would help a lot if they could secure work before moving aswell

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I agree with this. From the sounds of it really doesnt sound like its going to get any better for them here, so whats the options... Stay in the UK run out of money eventually probably if no more work is found or take a chance. I've saw people on here saying they've managed to do it on a smaller budget so maybe they wouldnt have to use all their savings afterall, just a thought. It would help a lot if they could secure work before moving aswell

wise words from someone so young and you never once mentioned .... benidorm, lol

wise words from someone so young and you never once mentioned .... benidorm, lol

lol your mad. Well its true, they have their visas and have spent all that money so maybe they just have to take the chance. Either way the money is probably going to disapear tbh. I wish them all the best, they still have a while left on their visa so they have a while to decide

Guest Cathwotherspoon

I would say to the OP go for it. It would be a good idea for your hubby to go on ahead and find work and a home then you could all follow on. My daughter and son in law have now been in Oz 4 years. They left Glasgow with nothing but 2 suitcases and of course their 18 month old son........... It was not easy at first as my daughter was on a student visa - hairdressing - which was withdrawn from the skills list just before she qualified so a very difficult time. All in all though they got through it, are glad they did it, and woud not change anything, and they now have another wee boy. My parent visa application has gone in so in a year or so I hope to be with them.

Cath

well just my thoughts on your dilemma, i was 2 years in Perth, I am a chippie, in my time there, the majority of my work was with steel, the same principles as timber(well sort of) but you use the same hand skills, and you use your brain the same way as well, what it all comes down to in my opinion, is how you adapt to the types of work that there are jobs in. I am going back (once the bloody visa goes through) and have had 2 job offers for work this week from Perth.

My old boss there had a saying, work your ass off during the week and enjoy the weekend with the family.

I know its a huge decision to make and only you can make it.

I do think maybe send your OH out first and stay in a hostel, that is where you pick up work in the trades, make work contacts and give it 6 months if you can.

Best of luck with what ever you do.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I would say to the OP go for it. It would be a good idea for your hubby to go on ahead and find work and a home then you could all follow on. My daughter and son in law have now been in Oz 4 years. They left Glasgow with nothing but 2 suitcases and of course their 18 month old son........... It was not easy at first as my daughter was on a student visa - hairdressing - which was withdrawn from the skills list just before she qualified so a very difficult time. All in all though they got through it, are glad they did it, and woud not change anything, and they now have another wee boy. My parent visa application has gone in so in a year or so I hope to be with them.

Cath

really great post, best of luck.

Sure what they won't be living if spend savings and can't get appropriate work. Indeed with kids in tow it would prove highly stressful. Far better one comes out and tests the waters. Coming out with limited funds,life savings at that which won't probably go far just doesn't seem a sensible move to me.

The move is supposed to be for a betterment of living conditions not added stress. I not aware that we have knowledge of the type of employment the OP will be seeking. Regardless of the assumption that work is there for the asking this is far from the experience of all folk. With kids it's not quite the free come what may attitude which is necessary the best line to take.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

the hubby is a joiner and he will have to do his research and try and find somewhere where work is available, does anyone on here know where joiners are needed to help this family?

the hubby is a joiner and he will have to do his research and try and find somewhere where work is available, does anyone on here know where joiners are needed to help this family?

Afraid not but it would be a shame if this family came out on a whim and it didn't work out with employment. Even a few months unemployment could wipe out their life savings not to say dreams. Best to move with some caution as although the job market may seem rosey from UK it can be tough going here as well.

Far better the one of the couple with the better job prospects comes out first and sniffs around for something.

If you had done some research you would have known Perth can be boring, and is isolated and expensive. Still don't understand why a pom wakes up one day and decides "Let's move to the most isolated part of the most isolated nation on the planet". Kinda weird that.......

PTP113 - your comments are the most unhelpful I have read on this board. You rarely post anything helpful in this section and it seems all you want to do is kick the boot in with your condescending comments to people/families who are REALLY struggling in many ways.

I can see your comments about struggling to understand our choices but you don't HAVE to understand anything about our situation. The OP asked for thoughts and opinions and I gave mine - I didn't ask for your opinion on whether you felt we had done our research or not. I have lived in other places in the world, not quite as remote but still remote and managed quite fine thank you unlike you who openly admits they had their head up their backside for the first few years in this country. I would say in that case it's not MY behaviour that is weird as you stated...

By the way please don't call me a Pom - I am Scottish so if you feel the need again to highlight my nationality in some way please use my preferred choice.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Afraid not but it would be a shame if this family came out on a whim and it didn't work out with employment. Even a few months unemployment could wipe out their life savings not to say dreams. Best to move with some caution as although the job market may seem rosey from UK it can be tough going here as well.

Far better the one of the couple with the better job prospects comes out first and sniffs around for something.

It isn't working out for them here in the uk and there seems little hope for them long term there. No one is saying it is Rosey' over in Australia, but from their current position, there must be areas that ARE better, i agree it would be a good idea, for the hubby to come out and find work first, so again ..... does anyone have any idea where this might be, Australia is a huge country and unemployment is extremely low in places.

It isn't working out for them here in the uk and there seems little hope for them long term there. No one is saying it is Rosey' over in Australia, but from their current position, there must be areas that ARE better, i agree it would be a good idea, for the hubby to come out and find work first, so again ..... does anyone have any idea where this might be, Australia is a huge country and unemployment is extremely low in places.

Ok dont come to WA we are worse off

It was seek.com that i went onto, i typed in joiners and just did a search for the whole of oz and just over 22jobs came up. Theres other websites to look at ofcourse

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Ok dont come to WA we are worse off

Unemployment figures for WA are at 3.8% the Uk is 8.4% and the further north you go, the higher it is.

Well they have a place to live and I think in work? Coming to OZ with limited savings and no job and kids with the cost of living here is a brave move indeed.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Well they have a place to live and I think in work? Coming to OZ with limited savings and no job and kids with the cost of living here is a brave move indeed.

I think they said, he was in and out of work and their life savings were dwindling away and your right, its a big risk to emigrate with no job to go to, but again i think they said the hubby would go out first and see if he could find work, i think its the best idea, doesn't mean it will work, but its not working out back home, so its better than nothing IMO.

I think they said, he was in and out of work and their life savings were dwindling away and your right, its a big risk to emigrate with no job to go to, but again i think they said the hubby would go out first and see if he could find work, i think its the best idea, doesn't mean it will work, but its not working out back home, so its better than nothing IMO.

He probably wouldnt have to go to the other side of the world to find a better situation - perhaps they could try looking a little closer to home. Much cheaper option.