Is it worth spending life savings to get to Australia?

Guest The Pom Queen
I knew what I said would be taken the wrong way & personally by some on here. For the record, I am not saying that people who return to the UK are the 'type' I described in my previous post. What I am actually saying is that people that are the 'type' I described in my prvious post are not likely to settle in any new country.

Some people on this site are so precious & jump to the conclusion that posts are about them when clearly they are not.

Well maybe careful wording would stop people jumping to the wrong conclusion :wink:

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I knew what I said would be taken the wrong way & personally by some on here. For the record, I am not saying that people who return to the UK are the 'type' I described in my previous post. What I am actually saying is that people that are the 'type' I described in my prvious post are not likely to settle in any new country.

Some people on this site are so precious & jump to the conclusion that posts are about them when clearly they are not. Some people seem to go out of their way to get offended by posts on here.

Of course you have to do what is best for your family & your hapiness & what suits your own personal circumstances. Otherwise none of us would ever move anywhere.

No, I don't go out of my way to be offended. You'll find this is my first post of the sort. I just stand up for myself.

And for the record, I didn't jump to any conclusion about the post being about me. Why would it be about me, we have never exchanged posts as far as I am aware. For me, it's the end of the matter.

No, I don't go out of my way to be offended. You'll find this is my first post of the sort. I just stand up for myself.

And for the record, I didn't jump to any conclusion about the post being about me. Why would it be about me, we have never exchanged posts as far as I am aware. For me, it's the end of the matter.

So you are just standng up for yourself but you didn't assume I was talking about you?

Agreed, lets end the matter. BTW, I wasn't talking about you.

So now YOU are generalising that everyone who goes to Spain act like those from the TV show Benidorm :no:

No not at all. I've been to Spain, including Benidorm, heaps of times myself and I know I don't act like the people in the TV series and if I came across a bar or hotel like that I would get out as quick as possible.

What I'm saying is there are a FEW English people who go to Spain and then expect it to be like England with sunshine. From my earliest memories of going, in the early 70's there were always a minority that would be having breakfast and saying "where's my full English" or the beer here is s#@#, or why can't you talk English, or wearing their local teams football shirt everywhere, or just plain getting pissed and causing trouble. Seeking out places with other English people in so they felt "at home". Not only seen this in Spain it's been every European country I've been to.

Benidorm is taking the poms abroad thing to the extreme to get a laugh but there has to be some sort of truth to it, otherwise the writers wouldn't have got the idea in the first place. Bit like all the Germans getting up early and putting their towels on the loungers and then the Brits turning up when they've reached Brit getting up time and throwing the towels in the pool and using the loungers anyway. Before you say I'm generalising again I've seen it happen. Not saying everyone does it, it's a minority and It's probably a minority of Germans that think putting a towel on a sun lounger at 6:00a.m. in the morning is going to reserve it for the rest of the day, but it does happen.

No not at all. I've been to Spain, including Benidorm, heaps of times myself and I know I don't act like the people in the TV series and if I came across a bar or hotel like that I would get out as quick as possible.

What I'm saying is there are a FEW English people who go to Spain and then expect it to be like England with sunshine. From my earliest memories of going, in the early 70's there were always a minority that would be having breakfast and saying "where's my full English" or the beer here is s#@#, or why can't you talk English, or wearing their local teams football shirt everywhere, or just plain getting pissed and causing trouble. Seeking out places with other English people in so they felt "at home". Not only seen this in Spain it's been every European country I've been to.

Benidorm is taking the poms abroad thing to the extreme to get a laugh but there has to be some sort of truth to it, otherwise the writers wouldn't have got the idea in the first place. Bit like all the Germans getting up early and putting their towels on the loungers and then the Brits turning up when they've reached Brit getting up time and throwing the towels in the pool and using the loungers anyway. Before you say I'm generalising again I've seen it happen. Not saying everyone does it, it's a minority and It's probably a minority of Germans that think putting a towel on a sun lounger at 6:00a.m. in the morning is going to reserve it for the rest of the day, but it does happen.

I think you are spot on Paul and have seen what you are talking about happen many times, also it is not a few English tourists you see but thousands all in the same resorts.

It's a small price to pay to live in the best country on earth!

i have a house in oz ......have i been back ...no .

iam well travelled , without question europe leaves australia and america , standing .

Pity about the euro ,

weve history , culture , art ,scenery , the 2 great cities of the world Paris and London . warmer weather if you want it ......its all here.

keep dreaming

i have a house in oz ......have i been back ...no .

iam well travelled , without question europe leaves australia and america , standing .

Pity about the euro ,

weve history , culture , art ,scenery , the 2 great cities of the world Paris and London . warmer weather if you want it ......its all here.

keep dreaming

You might have added "in your opinion". I've been to London and Paris in fact lived and worked in London for about a year. Didn't like it one bit. Paris was just another big City with all the big city problems. In my opinion that is.

Living the dream.:cool:

Guest Ptp113
Why's that cartertucker? Haven't you ever seen those types over in Spain? Didn't you watch Benidorm? We watched the first couple of episodes and then it stopped being funny and just seeming sad and a little too close to the truth.

Benidorm was to close to home to watch after a few episodes. Why the Spanish haven't pushed the poms into the sea is a mystery, but then they are desperate for the money.

Hi

Don't burn your bridges, it may work out, but it would be terrible if Oz isn't for you. Good idea to send OH first to get some savings behind you. Shipping alone is very costly and flights back if need be.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

You might have added "in your opinion". I've been to London and Paris in fact lived and worked in London for about a year. Didn't like it one bit. Paris was just another big City with all the big city problems. In my opinion that is.

Living the dream.:cool:

So much more to do here .......more choice ......more availability ......its where everything happens ......in the last couple of weeks .....the jubilee ......now the euros ......then the olympics .......cant beat it ......

So much more to do here .......more choice ......more availability ......its where everything happens ......in the last couple of weeks .....the jubilee ......now the euros ......then the olympics .......cant beat it ......

By the way " paris ,just another big city " .............ha ha ha ..............the most ridiculous thing i have ever read on this board .

Paris has it all .........style ....class .....art .....the city by which all others should be judged .....thats why it has been voted the worlds No 1 city by travellers ,

The French have much to be proud of .

I would swap all of that for an ice cream and dip in the ocean....... any day of the week....

Guest The Ropey HOFF
OK telling it like it is. I lived in Derbyshire and Lancashire all my life, on either side of the snake pass. Yes, gorgeous countryside within a stones throw BUT if you somehow manage to get nice weather and you try to head up there it felt like half the UK had the same idea and after sitting in traffic jams for half the day you finally arrive at where you thought would be nice to find that there's nowhere to park, the place is overrun by all the other visitors, you go in a cafe with kids and they don't want you in there too long taking a table up that someone without kids might come and spend more money.

I see your comments about the diversity of Europe and the ability to get the 20 quid flights. How many people actually do this on a whim though? You still only get 4 weeks a year off and most people I know still in the UK are doing exactly the same as we used to. Have your couple of weeks in Spain, Portugal, Greece for guaranteed sun and spend the rest of the year saving up for the next time you can get away.

Living here we already live in a better place than we would be paying to get to from the UK. We live 10 mins walk away from a glorious beach and spend lots of time down there. We know heaps of people who go down and watch the sunset in one of the numerous parks along the coast. To be honest the Friday night and weekend pub culture is nothing like the UK. Maybe because there aren't as many pubs and maybe because there are other things to do. I certainly don't buy the thing being able to take the family to the pub. Fridays was a strictly guys out with their mates and girls the same kind of atmosphere. Not for taking out the family. I wouldn't want to be taking my kids to a pub anyway.

So I don't think it was an unrealistic picture of Oz. It's available and can be done without it being expensive either. Not to say everyone will like it, I know some people who don't like the beach one bit and couldn't be bothered taking the family there with a bottle of wine to see the sunset, they would rather sit in the house watching soccer on foxtel. But to say it's an unrealistic picture is just not realistic.

Great post mate.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
just about to watch my very first episode of Benidorm... ! love this forum

I love it in Benidorm and we like the programme as well, Benidorm is loud and brash, in your face, loads going on and i like it loud and lively ...... Just like me, lol.

:mask: <--- me in stealth mod mode AGAIN

Is there any chance of heading back to the actual topic and perhaps offering the OP some advice rather than bickering about Paris, London or a TV show.

Thanks in advance.

Guest AKA63029

I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if I am repeating someone here.

But to a degree it is an 'intangible' IF you have never been to Australia before for any length of time.

With hindsight I would willingly spend what I had left in order to get back to Australia, but like I said that is with hindsight. I know 'most' of the pitfalls and expect certain things, but of course this is only based on experience.

It would be easy of me to say 'Yes, Go For It', but this an opinion based on experience and a slight 'bias'.

All you can do is go by research, research and more research and hope you have made the right decision.

I truly hope you find what you're looking for, and the very best of luck to you.

Cheers Tony.

Edited by AKA63029

Have you been to NZ? I have, and as much as I love and miss Scotland, there is no comparison............NZ is much more "majestic" and diverse. Where did you visit in order to draw comparison...............if you have visited?

All over NZ, I think Scotland is more stunning, all to their own hey.

Donning my mod hat again.....

Let's get back to topic please.

The OP asked some questions and the thread somehow got highjacked by Paris, London and a place called Benidorm and scenery in NZ and goodness knows what else!

I've asked a few times now and have removed a couple of posts that were made after my last post.

Thanks

No. The grass is always greener. There are things I love about Australia, but it ceases to amaze me how its cities get voted the best places to live in the world. Stay in the UK and use the money to put your kids though university or something.

Guest Ptp113
No. The grass is always greener. There are things I love about Australia, but it ceases to amaze me how its cities get voted the best places to live in the world. Stay in the UK and use the money to put your kids though university or something.

You don't get it. They want to live, not just exist!