Is it worth spending life savings to get to Australia?

Guest Shell15
... go to the beach with a bottle of win and fish and chips ..... come on you are painting an unrealistic picture.....

..you have never done this :elvis: unrealistic :elvis:

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK you know what come ........ dont take my word for it just come and see for yourselves , I have NO vested interest in lieing about any of this . I wish someone had been honest with my parents when we came.

All the best to everyone who is coming here hope it works out for you xx

OK im done here , lived in yorkshire for 18 years and it is a beautiful county , also lived in cornwall and london. Yes I did travel .

Most people here do exactly the same only there are few decent pubs where you can actually take your family.

Few people ( on a regular baisis) go to the beach with a bottle of win and fish and chips ..... come on you are painting an unrealistic picture.

I think Australia is a great place for some but please tell it like it is ....

Sitting in a pub in Whitby eating the largest fish with chips(far cheaper than Oz) by the harbour even on a wet evening was pretty magic also. We do have the same by the beach here in Perth perhaps several evenings a year....also great watching the sun sink over The Indian Ocean.

Then I love Cornwall as well. Some magic places there. I can find good equally in both places couldn't say either better.

In Australia I loved the fact families would go to the beach in the evening with a bottle of wine and get fish n chips, watching the sun set, really good vibes... and for the price of fish n chips, PARKING IS FREE !!...

When we lived on the coast we did this every Friday night. If the weather was bad we sat in the car and watched the surf pound onto the beach. Kids used to feed the seagulls half their chips.

Happy memories :smile:

Guest Shell15
OK you know what come ........ dont take my word for it just come and see for yourselves , I have NO vested interest in lieing about any of this . I wish someone had been honest with my parents when we came.

All the best to everyone who is coming here hope it works out for you xx

I think your having us all on luv!! Seriously..I dont believe your really posting from experience but as a joke..lol

Guest Shell15

same freckles..on a sunday afternoon as a family we would go to the beach with a kg of fresh king prawns and a loaf of fresh bread and buy a large protion of chips and sit 'on the beach' watching the world go by. Mum and dad would open a bottle of wine..it was bliss, they really are my best memories. I think a certain poster has 'wishful' thinking trying to wind us up..it nearly worked lol

We spent our life savings getting to Perth and less than 6 months later we are going back. Bored is not the word. I had more exciting times on a wet, miserable day in the UK. I think I have dont most of the tourist attractions now... If you are being tempted by the beach then you need to consider how often you would actually go there and that also needs to take into account whether or not you would be able to secure a rental in your desired location. School, work, appointments, it all still has to go on regardless of the weather. You have to ensure you know what your aims are. If you are tempted by the sun then yep that worked for us too until we had quite a number of days where it was just too hot to go outside.

If you have the money to come out first to explore and check out the job situ - where unemployment in Perth is currently 5.1% and not 3.whatever quoted earlier (it was reivsed up the way in May from an expected 5.0%) - then that would be a better idea.

I know there is lots of people who talk up Oz due to their positive experiences and that is their right but for some of us it is FAR from positive for many reasons and you just need to bear in mind that if you are to give it balanced consideration.

We spent our life savings getting to Perth and less than 6 months later we are going back. Bored is not the word. I had more exciting times on a wet, miserable day in the UK. I think I have dont most of the tourist attractions now... If you are being tempted by the beach then you need to consider how often you would actually go there and that also needs to take into account whether or not you would be able to secure a rental in your desired location. School, work, appointments, it all still has to go on regardless of the weather. You have to ensure you know what your aims are. If you are tempted by the sun then yep that worked for us too until we had quite a number of days where it was just too hot to go outside.

If you have the money to come out first to explore and check out the job situ - where unemployment in Perth is currently 5.1% and not 3.whatever quoted earlier (it was reivsed up the way in May from an expected 5.0%) - then that would be a better idea.

I know there is lots of people who talk up Oz due to their positive experiences and that is their right but for some of us it is FAR from positive for many reasons and you just need to bear in mind that if you are to give it balanced consideration.

do you think 6 months is a long enough period to try make it work ?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
do you think 6 months is a long enough period to try make it work ?

Australia isn't for everyone, most like it, i have posted the link before, not many dislike it, most of those who come back do so because they miss family and a lot return back to Australia after returning to the UK. Australia is a massive country, with huggings of things to do, I have never been bored in my life.

Edited by The Ropey HOFF

NZ seems like a nice holiday destination, would say it beats the UK hands down for natural beauty....

Yorkshire is a dire place to live, sorry to those living there, but life is not easy up that way.... and how often did you get out an about on those dark wintery days when you lived here ? Did you actually travel much in Europe ? did you take advantage of those 80 pound flights ?

most people I know do not ! they go to work, get to the pub on the weekend and have there 4 weeks a year holiday.

In Australia I loved the fact families would go to the beach in the evening with a bottle of wine and get fish n chips, watching the sun set, really good vibes... and for the price of fish n chips, PARKING IS FREE !!

make it work and Australia is a wonderful country to live....

Keep looking back and you will torture yourself...

Scotland beats NZ hands down for stunning scenery also.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
We are looking to moving to Perth and we may have to sell the house. Russ works for the NHS are they are shutting a lot of wards and he has had to go down a grade to find work, we plain to go to Oz on an employer sponsor visa, would not do it without having a job to go to.

Best of luck.

true, perhaps it may be easier for Brits to leave for a new life in Oz,

South Africa is an amazing country, and many do NOT want to leave !!! but there are issues there that cannot be ignored... it was hard to accept the UK, coming from a place you really don't want to leave ! but its possible if you have the right attitude... sink or swim nje ...

Many do want to leave including my brother and his family from cape town, all houses have to be gated with iron railings on doors and windows he says and you do not leave your door unlocked on any car journey, he has to go to jo,berg for work and says it makes him sad to see the derelect hotels and former restaurants than now stand empty and trashed, affrkanners will stay but south Africans who ar not affrkanners are leaving in droves.

The view from signal hill having a Brie beats anywhere....lekker

Edited by Perthbum

:mask: <---- me in stealth mod mode

Pssssssssssst

This thread has rambled off topic a few times but it'd be nice to try to get back to it or at least to stay on it a bit more :)

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

[quote=Wishful;1935855334

Few people ( on a regular baisis) go to the beach with a bottle of win and fish and chips ..... come on you are painting an unrealistic picture.

Errr...Check out Mindil Beach, NT.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255066-d300351-Reviews-Mindil_Beach-Darwin_Top_End_Northern_Territory.html

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Ptp113
The southern highlands is great and you are right it is very green but it does not compare to part of cornwall or yorkshire COME ON GET REAL that really is a silly statement !!!!

Nope it isn't. Parts if it are more U.K like than the U.K itself. Exeter, Robertson, Sutton Forest, Bundanoon, etc where the only thing that gives it away is that blue Aussie sky of a colour you don't get in blighty. Not surprising though when it was British settlers who colonised most of it.

Guest Ptp113
I didnt come here voluntarily and life has a way of throwing you curve balls , Im not miserable but I am going to get a sign for my car thats says

"Before you say to me If you dont like it go back home - trust me if I could I would"

I put in a massive ammount of effort I have two children born here and so I cannot put all these feelings onto them. But for me to say this is home would be a lie , its sad very sad .

I didn't come here involuntarily either but it's definitely home. I hated it for years but I eventually pulled my head outa my backside and changed my attitude (had a bit of help ther, but that's another story).