Is it worth spending life savings to get to Australia?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Ptp113
It has nothing to do with been homesick , there are plenty of things I love about australia, I love sydney , I love the waeather in spring and autumn , I love the bush and find it very peaceful ... I will clarify my statment further then In comparison to the Uk Australia is not full of "lush greenery"

Then take a short drive to the Southern Highlands to learn how wrong you are. It's "lush greenery" puts much of the U.K to shame

Oh come on , diversity compared to what ..... I am comparing this to Europe ... diversity really !!!! are you talking deserts and rainforests.

It is not everywhere .....

So I finish by saying I do love Australia and maybe I am having a bad night ill give you that BUT dont let people come here thinking it is all beaches and kangaroos and lush green fields cause its not.

One funny thing about Aus is that they will make a tourist attraction out of a pile of rocks , dont know why I added that just popped into my head.

If you are coming then come and if you love it great lets swap houses !!

Guest Ptp113
Oh come on , diversity compared to what ..... I am comparing this to Europe ... diversity really !!!! are you talking deserts and rainforests.

So I finish by saying I do love Australia and maybe I am having a bad night ill give you that BUT dont let people come here thinking it is all beaches and kangaroos and lush green fields cause its not.

One funny thing about Aus is that they will make a tourist attraction out of a pile of rocks , dont know why I added that just popped into my head.

I own an old dunny in blighty, would that be a fair swap?

Guest lisa crowe

Australia is a great place, but unless ya loaded I wouldn't personally recommend anyone uping sticks to live here....Do either of you have a skill that is sought after here in Oz? We came over on a 457 sponsered work visa x

We sold up everything for our big move, we are a family of 5 and headed off to nsw..

Whilst there and before we went, we researched hard, my oh applied for numerous jobs in the state we were living and further a field.. it's harder when you have no income coming in and living off your life savings, watching it just vanish on rent and food etc, We could have stayed much longer and go through the storm and ignored our kids unhappiness, but if was still unable to find work we would have been screwed, we wanted to be able to return home with money in the bank and find us a home so that the kids would feel secure quickly. And not living at the inlaws house for months and months...

I would say if you do decide to go.. try and get a job before you go, if you can afford to validate first then use that trip to secure work if you can, that way you will have a income straight away.

Then take a short drive to the Southern Highlands to learn how wrong you are. It's "lush greenery" puts much of the U.K to shame

The southern highlands is great and you are right it is very green but it does not compare to part of cornwall or yorkshire COME ON GET REAL that really is a silly statement !!!!

I would say there is certainly more diversity in UK/Europe. That exists between lifestyles,closeness to lingual and cultural diversity,food and regional differences. Now this may not be of interest to many but I really can't see how it can be disputed.

dont see the point in moving to Australia if you want it to be exactly like the UK, save yourself the plane fare......

nothing works unless you put in the effort.....

I know !! moving to the UK from South Africa was a huge challenge... but we made it work, now I really appreciate many things about the UK. IF I held onto South Africa and wanted it to have moved with me, I would be miserable here in the UK....

We sold up everything for our big move, we are a family of 5 and headed off to nsw..

Whilst there and before we went, we researched hard, my oh applied for numerous jobs in the state we were living and further a field.. it's harder when you have no income coming in and living off your life savings, watching it just vanish on rent and food etc, We could have stayed much longer and go through the storm and ignored our kids unhappiness, but if was still unable to find work we would have been screwed, we wanted to be able to return home with money in the bank and find us a home so that the kids would feel secure quickly. And not living at the inlaws house for months and months...

I would say if you do decide to go.. try and get a job before you go, if you can afford to validate first then use that trip to secure work if you can, that way you will have a income straight away.

Very important. No one should assume Australia is some job wonderland. My advice would be which I stated already is that the one of the couple with job prospects comes alone and checks out the market.

Pointless coming spending your hard earned savings with little at the end. Your talking of a life time change not a six month adventure travelling in Africa. Best to get it right and give oneself less stress.

dont see the point in moving to Australia if you want it to be exactly like the UK, save yourself the plane fare......

I know !! moving to the UK from South Africa was a huge challenge... but we made it work, now I really appreciate many things about the UK. IF I held onto South Africa and wanted it to have moved with me, I would be miserable here in the UK....

I didnt come here voluntarily and life has a way of throwing you curve balls , Im not miserable but I am going to get a sign for my car thats says

"Before you say to me If you dont like it go back home - trust me if I could I would"

I put in a massive ammount of effort I have two children born here and so I cannot put all these feelings onto them. But for me to say this is home would be a lie , its sad very sad .

Edited by Wishful

Perhaps different incentives at play here. Plenty leave RSA for issues other than the reasons many Brits may decide to leave.

The southern highlands is great and you are right it is very green but it does not compare to part of cornwall or yorkshire COME ON GET REAL that really is a silly statement !!!!

NZ seems like a nice holiday destination, would say it beats the UK hands down for natural beauty....

Yorkshire is a dire place to live, sorry to those living there, but life is not easy up that way.... and how often did you get out an about on those dark wintery days when you lived here ? Did you actually travel much in Europe ? did you take advantage of those 80 pound flights ?

most people I know do not ! they go to work, get to the pub on the weekend and have there 4 weeks a year holiday.

In Australia I loved the fact families would go to the beach in the evening with a bottle of wine and get fish n chips, watching the sun set, really good vibes... and for the price of fish n chips, PARKING IS FREE !!

make it work and Australia is a wonderful country to live....

Keep looking back and you will torture yourself...

Perhaps different incentives at play here. Plenty leave RSA for issues other than the reasons many Brits may decide to leave.

true, perhaps it may be easier for Brits to leave for a new life in Oz,

South Africa is an amazing country, and many do NOT want to leave !!! but there are issues there that cannot be ignored... it was hard to accept the UK, coming from a place you really don't want to leave ! but its possible if you have the right attitude... sink or swim nje ...

I didnt come here voluntarily and life has a way of throwing you curve balls , Im not miserable but I am going to get a sign for my car thats says

"Before you say to me If you dont like it go back home - trust me if I could I would"

I put in a massive ammount of effort I have two children born here and so I cannot put all these feelings onto them. But for me to say this is home would be a lie , its sad very sad .

sorry to hear that bro, I sincerely hope you find some good and it begins to overshadow what you dont like about Australia .... Its good to be happy/content when your raising a family...

NZ seems like a nice holiday destination, would say it beats the UK hands down for natural beauty....

Yorkshire is a dire place to live, sorry to those living there, but life is not easy up that way.... and how often did you get out an about on those dark wintery days when you lived here ? Did you actually travel much in Europe ? did you take advantage of those 80 pound flights ?

most people I know do not ! they go to work, get to the pub on the weekend and have there 4 weeks a year holiday.

In Australia I loved the fact families would go to the beach in the evening with a bottle of wine and get fish n chips, watching the sun set, really good vibes... and for the price of fish n chips, PARKING IS FREE !!

make it work and Australia is a wonderful country to live....

Keep looking back and you will torture yourself...

OK im done here , lived in yorkshire for 18 years and it is a beautiful county , also lived in cornwall and london. Yes I did travel .

Most people here do exactly the same only there are few decent pubs where you can actually take your family.

Few people ( on a regular baisis) go to the beach with a bottle of win and fish and chips ..... come on you are painting an unrealistic picture.

I think Australia is a great place for some but please tell it like it is ....

true, perhaps it may be easier for Brits to leave for a new life in Oz,

South Africa is an amazing country, and many do NOT want to leave !!! but there are issues there that cannot be ignored... it was hard to accept the UK, coming from a place you really don't want to leave ! but its possible if you have the right attitude... sink or swim nje ...

I love RSA last time there in 2005 actually wanted to stay. I know many Saffies whom took a look at Australia and decided against. Often cite more freedom there. While others love it. There are many similar things. UK is hard going for most Saffies for sure.

Saying that if you are a Brit living a reasonably comfortable life with job,kids connections with no great reason to leave home especially when never viewed the country nor a job to go to and kids in tow,as well as limited funds I do feel that folk should be aware of possible pitfalls.

Edited by flag of convenience

Guest Shell15
........In Australia I loved the fact families would go to the beach in the evening with a bottle of wine and get fish n chips, watching the sun set, really good vibes... and for the price of fish n chips, PARKING IS FREE !!...

Now your talking..it is exactly what i cant wait to do!! And the free parking is a bonus..