Visas expire end 2013... Cost of actually even getting to Australia - advice please???

Ok... I am starting to think we can't even afford to get there so what is the point in worrying myself sick over not being able to afford the rent/school/health insurance/food/bills n all that jazz...

My other half def has rose tinted specs on about the year we spent in Melbourne as it was a working holiday, the exchange rate for £1 to AUD$2.50 and we rented a furnished apartment in South Yarra! We will never be in that position again and our 176 visas run out December next year. I am terrified as we have 2 kids and no money. Our house is one of 4 for sale in our street alone and the last house to sell was a repossession that went for 30,000 under market value :( We really need to make some money from the house sale so renting while we're emigrating isn't really an option...

Sorry, I digress... I have been looking into the cost of even making it to Australia (state sponsored by Victoria so heading to Melbourne) and am just wondering if anyone can tell me how much it cost to get there recently and how much you advise we should have since we have to support ourselves until we get an apartment/house and find full time employment.

Getting the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids under 4) around £4,000 air fare.

Shipping a 20ft container with essentials that we can't afford to buy when we get there eg tv's, furniture, tools for hubbies work) £6,000

Then we have to buy a car when we get there too... That will be a 2nd hand car plus insurance etc...

Then I have to think about furnished accommodation for a couple of months while we try to get settled and find work...

I will have to budget for bills and everything.

I actually don't think we can afford to get there now. Or if we get there we will arrive, buy the car and pay the bond for apartment rental then that's it. No money left :(

Any advice PLEASE please PLEEEEEAAASSSEEE! Looks like the reality is about to hit home and we're not going to get there. We are about to apply for a child visa for the new baby which will cost around £1,000 too since we have been waiting for things to get better before making the final move and we are just as stuck as we were 4 years ago when we got the visa and the markets crashed :(

I am depressed and a bit :arghh:

Please help :twitcy:

Not sure if it helps as it depends where you're going to, but our 20ft container to Adelaide is only costing us £4k not 6, and it's possible to get it even cheaper if you haggle. Cost of flights will depend on when you fly (avoid December), but ours for July are costing £2.5k for me and two kids. Husband paid about £700 for his to fly in June - certain times of year attract a premium and if you can avoid UK school holidays and the Christmas period it's cheaper. Again rental will depend on where you're living, but if you check out realestate.com.au this should give you some idea of what rentals cost in the area you are looking in.

We've been talking about moving to Oz for about 10 years (hubbie is Australian) but have only just decided to make the move now. We keep saying we would have been much better off if we'd moved a few yesrs ago when the exchange rate was much better but we weren't ready to go then. Sometimes these decisions aren't just about money, although it is easier for us as we have family out there we could live with if we were desperate.

Good luck

Nicola

Thanks Nicola.

You are right - it's not about the money but feeling ready to go. I have to say we have been ready to go but not actually managed to do anything about it out of fear of the unknown but now the visas are going to expire it's like a big push to go. We don't want to have to go through the whole visa application again so are going to go for Child Visa 101 for new bubs and just go for it...

Thanks for the tips. We haven't sold the house yet so haven't actually managed to get to the stage of getting a few quotes then haggling so I will def keep that in mind.

I am just one of those people who wants to know what is going to happen next in minute detail and then even if you have something mapped out it never goes the way you planned it anyway. There are always unexpected hurdles that we have to get through... I just want to be realistic about how much it is going to cost and make sure we have some cash left over for when we actually get there.

I remember back in 2005 we had pretty much chosen a fab apartment in the CBD, got the keys and everything and loved it then realised it was a long term lease when we only wanted 10 months or so n ended up forking out double for a smaller apartment (in a fabulous area we can never afford now!) cos it was "short term" since it was under 12 months lease! The bond was huge too... Just these things that pop up unexpectedly are easier to deal with when you are a young couple with full time work but as a family of 4 and I am home with the kids it just seems to becoming impossible to imagine being able to afford it...

Then again I can't work out how we can afford to live here in our UK house either so.... I don't know what to do :arghh:

There was a similar thread about the other day about costs.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/152484-how-much-would-i-need-start-up-oz.html

Regards to the 101 visa - you just need to time this wisely when you put in the application to when you are looking to make the move, and when your own visas expire. Medicals and PCC are usually requested soon after you lodge application for Child Visa, child visa takes about 5-8 months to process - therefore sometimes it will not leave you much time to validate within the 12 months after medicals or PCC.

One way flights seam a bit expensive - for an quick idea on price Glasgow - Melbourne with Emirates (farest in time can go on their site is May next year) 2 Adults and 2 children (2-11 years) would be around £2350 one way. Also Emirates have standard 30KG luggage allowance.

Self packing a container brings the price down also.

If you can take less than a 20ft container consider sharing one perhaps? Might work out cheaper still if you just take the basics and buy second hand or something for some stuff once there. We planned to take everything and have now decided to take only the basics even though we'll have to replace some stuff once we get there.

Flights can be gotten for cheaper if you shop around and book in advance. It might mean an indirect route also with an overnight stop over (airline pays if this is the case) and I know Japan Airlines used to come in cheap for this sort of thing. Or look at RTW deals that have you stopping in Thailand or Malaysia for one stop and Aus the next and then just don't use the rest of the ticket onwards. You can still get RTW tickets for a cheap price compared to one way direct.

Nothing is going to change much in 12 months here in the UK. I can't see the housing market improving vastly or anything I'm afraid.

If you really want to go, cut your losses, save all your pennies and head to Aus. It might be tough going once there but if your OH can go on ahead and find a job it might help? He could stay in a cheap hostel till he has income and so on and as soon as he is working you guys could head over. That's what I'd be doing in a similar situation, if really wanting to be in Aus. That way you'd also have a better idea of what you need to ship etc and could hopefully save you some cash in the longer term.

Hi

It might pay to for go the house contents removal and buy as and when you can over there, there are rental companies which provide a complete house package you could rent furniture whilst saving for items, check other removal companies your quote seems very high my 3 bed house contents were quoted at half yours in a shared container.Look at globehunters web site for flights they appear to be the cheapest at present below £700, family medicare insurance at around $200 a month. I am looking to take around £4000 buy a second hand car for $2-3000 and and the rest use as bond and first months rent, although having a job to go to is a big help to be able to keep up with all the payments once there, hope all works out and you get over there soon

Guest JK2510

We flew out within 3 wks after getting our visas....flights were booked about 2.5 weeks in advance and we paid £2.5k for 5 of us....3 adult fares and 2 kids. That was with Singapore airlines...one stop...but like others have said perhaps 2 stops sometimes are cheaper.

Edited by JK2510