Police Checks

Minxey

Hello All,

Preparing documents before I apply for my 176.

Reading that they require police checks for every country living in the past 10 years. I lived in Greece 9 years ago, will they still require this? Also, I worked on cruise liners for a year at the time based in Miami, will I have to contact USA aswell even though I was just based there, and not living there?

EEK!

Thanks in advance for help! :biggrin:

If you lived in Greece for at least 12 months, then you will probably need to get a PCC from them. As for the US, I'm not sure. Were you working for an American company and did you have a residence in Miami? If so, you may need to get an FBI PCC as well (which takes forever).

Yes, I lived in Greece for two years. I did work for an American company, but didn't have a residence address as was based on the ship, even though it was based in the states, would I still have to apply? Ok, think I should go ahead now and try get this done for Greece and the UK in the meantime.

You may wish to check with DIAC to be sure, but I think that if you were working for an American company and living on a boat docked at an American city for at least 12 months, you would probably need to get FBI PCCs as well. Did you have a US work visa for this job?

When applying for a 176 visa from offshore it is reccommended tht you wait for a CO until you get your Police Certificates - or at least wait until you have lodged your application. As your first entry date is dependent on the earliest date of police checks or medicals.As for the Certificate from the US, how long did you work for the company? Do you remember the dates that you were actually onshore in the US, if it is more than 12 months total you will need a FBI check which can take 2-3 months therefore doing it now will help.

Thanks for the advice. Actually come to think of it now it was only for 8 months at at time. I received a visa that allows you to work in the States only onboard the vessel and not on shore. So, thinking that it was only for 8 months, I reckon I don't need this for my application? I can however in the meantime apply for the certificate for Greece and the UK?

If it was only 8 months, then you don't need the US PCC. As lebourvellec mentioned, I would wait on the UK PCC until you've at least lodged the visa application. As for Greece, I don't know how long it takes to get those -- you might want to look into that. If it takes months to obtain, you might want to start now.

Thanks for the advice. Actually come to think of it now it was only for 8 months at at time. I received a visa that allows you to work in the States only onboard the vessel and not on shore. So, thinking that it was only for 8 months, I reckon I don't need this for my application? I can however in the meantime apply for the certificate for Greece and the UK?

My OH had a similar visa for the US - he works in the Oil and Gas and would board the ship in US and worked in Gulf of Mexico, he would have spent the same about of time about 8 months, we were not asked for US police check.