How much would i need to start up in OZ??!!

smw

I know its a bit late to worry about this as we have made the decision to emigrate now, but how much would we need to bring with us to live on, pay rent up front...basically we dont think we will have loads of money to bring with us and are a little worried!

Have people started with nothing or a little money, or do we need to bring a decent amount, say 5-10k?

Any help would be appreciated

Steph

:confused:

Guest Helchops

Oh steph...

It totally depends on your standard of living ideals. Some ripple stay in hostels, others hiltons & others private houses.

Many people go with very little, camp, find work and flourish. Others go with equity from their house sale and spend it all in three months.

Anyway, my point is you will make it work for you!

Hi Helchops,

Thanks for the kind words, we dont have an luxurious lifestyle by any means, but we were worried we would get there and just not have enough to get by whilst looking for work. We think we might leave our house and rent it out as we dont want to sell it straight away, so we would have very little saved up. My other half is careful (tight!!) with money, so we should be ok.

Thank you

Steph

Oh steph...

It totally depends on your standard of living ideals. Some ripple stay in hostels, others hiltons & others private houses.

Many people go with very little, camp, find work and flourish. Others go with equity from their house sale and spend it all in three months.

Anyway, my point is you will make it work for you!

Pounds or dollars? £10k might be enough to get you started provided you have a job very quickly. Anything less than that will be a struggle when you take into account things like initial accommodation, rental bonds, up front payments, insurances, car purchase, licences, communication, uniforms (for kids at school) etc etc. There wont be much fat there though and I know of people who have gone through $10k in a few weeks without really trying. Some states require you to have $25k for the primary candidate and $10k per additional family member in accessible money.

We came out with about £10k and coped absolutely fine. As everyone has said it depends on your standard of living. We stayed in a very (very) cheap hotel when we arrived, bought a cheap car ($5k) and we decided to rent in a cheaper (half the price!!) area outside of the city (Central Coast) and do the commute.

We bought our furniture and home bits off 2nd hand off sites like Gumtree, factory 2nd stores or cheapy stores like BIG W, Kmart and Fantastic Furniture.

About 6 months in we were both comfortably earning and spending dollars and started to upgrade cars, furniture etc.

If you are happy to just live with the basics when you get here you will be absolutely fine.

Best of Luck

Danielle

Ok I'm new around here and have a bunch of my own fears and questions. So with that prefaced here's my suggestion. And this is somewhat dependent on where you plan to live and what you plan to do. Rather than get your own place straight away, there is a really cool website http://www.helpx.net/ Its like woofers, if you know anything about that. But Helpx is geared more towards stays in regular households than farms. It's a great way to meet really nice Aussy families who can help you greatly with people they know, use of their vehicle and free accommodations. You may feel uncomfortable staying at someone else's home, but usually its a great and mind widening experience. Best thing would be to try it in the UK, there are some amazing places people have to offer. This also gives you a profile with recommendations, which makes it easier to be excepted by others on the site. You'll still be required to have enough cash to get you in Aus, but this might make your budget go a lot further and more importantly make new friends and possibly get you a foot in the door to a new job.

Best of luck

R

A lot depends on how quickly you find work.

I came out here with a family if six on 4k, but with my redundancy pay of 10k to follow.

I also came on my own, and ended up being here 4months before the rest of the family came out.

Job hunting went well and I found a job within 48hrs, but had to wait a month to start. Infound a short term let (in bondi beach front!!!) for $600 for six weeks which got me going (on gumtree)

It was tight, deposits for house and even basic stuff added up as the container wouldnt be here for 6months. All in, it is only easing off now we are at the end of the first year.

Coming here with $5-10k is very doable. But with caveats, you need work fast, you also need to be able to compromise early on. If I could have shared a house, I'd have saved but I'm too old and grumpy for that.

Hi Danielle,

Thanks for the help. It does sound possible then. We dont have a fancy lifestyle with nice cars and expensive goods, so if we manage to secure jobs we should be ok. Have struggled before on nothing, so should be ok!!

Cheers

Steph

We came out with about £10k and coped absolutely fine. As everyone has said it depends on your standard of living. We stayed in a very (very) cheap hotel when we arrived, bought a cheap car ($5k) and we decided to rent in a cheaper (half the price!!) area outside of the city (Central Coast) and do the commute.

We bought our furniture and home bits off 2nd hand off sites like Gumtree, factory 2nd stores or cheapy stores like BIG W, Kmart and Fantastic Furniture.

About 6 months in we were both comfortably earning and spending dollars and started to upgrade cars, furniture etc.

If you are happy to just live with the basics when you get here you will be absolutely fine.

Best of Luck

Danielle

• 2 months later...

This is my first entry on this site and wondered if people would be happy to share their knowledge of how they will gain entry/visa.....if they are unskilled? I have some money but not sure sure how to get there?

cheers

This is my first entry on this site and wondered if people would be happy to share their knowledge of how they will gain entry/visa.....if they are unskilled? I have some money but not sure sure how to get there?

cheers

what do you do? Some people are not formally skilled as such but they may be able to get sponsorship for a 457 visa

what do you do? Some people are not formally skilled as such but they may be able to get sponsorship for a 457 visa

Hi Verystormy

Im a Social Worker in child protection but as I only hold a Diploma I am not eligible to work in Oz as their criteria is a minimum of Degree standing. I have explored all options here to enhance my qualification and its not doable due to the time I qualified so I need to look at other ways of getting in.