Guest Emma2307

Guest Emma2307

My Husband and I would like to move to Australia, we have 3 children ranging from 14yrs old to 1yr. My Husband is a qualified electrician and I am a magazine editor, we are currently both self-employed.

Realistically I can continue to be the editor of my magazine for 6-12 months from overseas, therefore my income can still continue during that time.

I am puzzled as to the best way to come over to Australia, my Husband would be the one that could get us the points - Is it best for him to get a job before we go? How do we go about looking for a job for him? I understand that he would be an electricians mate until he got an Electricians Licence in OZ.

Does anyone know if I would be allowed to continue running my business in the UK whilst gradually setting up the same business in OZ?

I have read so many different sites, all giving me slightly different advice, so now I am confused. I would love to hear from anyone who can give us some advice, in particular a sparky who has a similar family set up as ours and how they made the move.

Thanks. :smile:

Hi and welcome, i went on a 176 visa which is what i think is the best way forward.They are desperate for electricians tho there method is different and he would likely have to train for a while, you need a chat with an agent, all info is here just do a bit of research with the blank box at the top of the page, best o luck

My Husband and I would like to move to Australia, we have 3 children ranging from 14yrs old to 1yr. My Husband is a qualified electrician and I am a magazine editor, we are currently both self-employed.

Realistically I can continue to be the editor of my magazine for 6-12 months from overseas, therefore my income can still continue during that time.

I am puzzled as to the best way to come over to Australia, my Husband would be the one that could get us the points - Is it best for him to get a job before we go? How do we go about looking for a job for him? I understand that he would be an electricians mate until he got an Electricians Licence in OZ.

Does anyone know if I would be allowed to continue running my business in the UK whilst gradually setting up the same business in OZ?

I have read so many different sites, all giving me slightly different advice, so now I am confused. I would love to hear from anyone who can give us some advice, in particular a sparky who has a similar family set up as ours and how they made the move.

Thanks. :smile:

I would have thought skilled migration is the way to go for you. I don't think it very likely that your husband will find a job / sponsorship as an electrician, not least because he wouldn't even be licences to work as an electrician in Australia. Hence skilled migration, you get the visa first and don't need an employer sponsor.

You can do what you want when you get over there, so there would be no problem continuing your current work remotely.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Emma2307

Thanks for all your feedback. We have arranged to see an agent and I have found this website really useful! Thanks for your best wishes, we are aiming to move out to OZ once my eldest son has finished his GCSE's - seems wise to get the ball rolling now. :smile: