Older Kids

nickywes

Hi all. Can anyone help here. We met with a migration expert today and discussed myself, hubby, 22, 21, 15 year olds migrating to the Perth area. He said we would have no problem with us and the youngest child as he is a bricklayer and youngest is still at school. The oldest two however would have to apply separately and there would be no guarantee that they would get in with their skills not being in demand (clubbing every night is not classified as a skill!!!). We desparately want to go but not without them. His answer would be that they come out with us on a 1 year holiday visa, then 1 year working visa and then go on from there, hopefully with the end result that they would eventually get a visa. He said that they would eventually be able to stay as our closest relatives able to get a visa to stay. Does anyone know anything about this and the various ways that they could be eligible.

Also, generally how much would it cost us to take a labrador with us in total. Advisor suggested we leave him behind but I just couldn't imagine leaving him. He advised us that it would be approx £1,500-2,000, is that right?

Would be grateful for any help please.

It is so much easier when the children are younger, I wish we had done this years ago.

We have children aged 16 and nearly 21, they both said they did not want to come initially, now the 16yr old is happy to go to uni as the course she wants to do is there and the entry is not so competative as over here.

the 20 yr old is still not happy but has stopped saying I am not going!

We have been told that the 21 yr old will be included on our visa as he is at uni and still dependant on us for shelter. He will go into his 3rd year in Sept and may do a MA year, so as long as we have the visa approved by next June we should be OK and he will be happy to come as it is a natural separation from his mates (hopdfully!!)

Maybe your two oldest could go back into full time education?

what if they dont want or can't go with you? what will you do?

I hate the thought of being so far away from any of my children

take care

Kazz

Hi there

Thanks for your reply. It is really worrying me about the 2 girls as they also really want to go. I myself do not want to go unless they come with me as I really can't imagine leaving them here and saying bye then we are going to live in Australia. I know people say that they are older now and should be self sufficient, which I agree with, but I don't want to live in another country without them. If they were still at College, Uni etc it would have been easier and apparently now they cannot go back to full time education over there as they have both been working and paying taxes for over a year.

We are going to apply for the visa anyway and somehow or another they will come with us, just not sure how yet, I can't believe that Australia would say that we could get in but not the kids. Will look into it. Trouble is that they are now a bit panic stricken thinking that they possibly would not get a visa in the long run. God knows what to do, one thing for sure is I would not just leave them here. What a dilemma.

Have you already started the process and where would you be looking to move to, area wise?

Hopefully speak again soon

Nicky

It is so much easier when the children are younger, I wish we had done this years ago.

We have children aged 16 and nearly 21, they both said they did not want to come initially, now the 16yr old is happy to go to uni as the course she wants to do is there and the entry is not so competative as over here.

the 20 yr old is still not happy but has stopped saying I am not going!

We have been told that the 21 yr old will be included on our visa as he is at uni and still dependant on us for shelter. He will go into his 3rd year in Sept and may do a MA year, so as long as we have the visa approved by next June we should be OK and he will be happy to come as it is a natural separation from his mates (hopdfully!!)

Maybe your two oldest could go back into full time education?

what if they dont want or can't go with you? what will you do?

I hate the thought of being so far away from any of my children

take care

Kazz

Hi Nicky,

it is a huge dilemma, people kept telling me he is old enough, got his own life, he could choose to go a live anywhere in the world once he leaves uni etc which I know - BUT that would be different to me 'abandoning' him here to start a new life thousand of miles away :cry:

We decided to start the process then make the big decisions as they come up

hoping ot get over on a gov sponsored skilled visa as I think I have the right qualifications for the childcare coordinator category, have had this confirmed verbally be a Victorian gov person at an expo but will not trust it until the skills assessment is through.

We are hoping to settle in or around Melbourne as my sis is living there and going for permantent residency and my Dad loves it out there so will be spending a lot of time there too.

Hiccup at the mo is that I cannot get hold of my secondary exam results, not in the house or Dad's house

so have sent off to exam board, only to be told (after 5 weeks :evil: ) that I applied to wrong board :evil:

I am now applying to what I hope is the right board for my GCSE and CSE results, BUT the GCSE results could be with any number of boards :evil:

(deep breathing) I am calm, I am calm, I AM CALM :lol:

Oh and I will be 45 Nov 2007 so there is no time to waste

take care

Karen

Guest scoop

Hi Nicky

Thoughts are with you hun x

Try talking to other agents just to clarify your position and see if there are alternative ways around it? Most will give you a first free consult.

With regard to your lab. I'm not able to leave my three behind even though it will cost a fortune. You're looking at about £3000 - £3500 depending on the size of the dog. Try http://www.jets4pets.com they have been getting very good write ups on forums.

Hope this helps hun.

Good luck with your plans.

SCoop

x

Thanks again, it really does help to talk to others about things when it is so confusing.

We are definitely getting it started and same with us no time to waste and I just think we would always regret not doing it later on in life.

The eldest girl is now saying that she is worried about not getting any sort of career up and running until she is about 27 as it would take a couple of years for us to get a visa initially, then they would be on a year long holiday (which I am sure would suit them just fine), then onto the next year as a working visa etc etc. Now if she were training to be a brain surgeon or suchlike I could understand but a bank customer service advisor is hardly high powered career stuff. Not only that, as long as the 2 of them have enough money for their wild weekends work seems to come second. I will just have to be very diplomatic with our discussions I fear!!!

I will post more on this subject as and when I hear anything.

Thanks again

Nicky

Hi all. Can anyone help here. We met with a migration expert today and discussed myself, hubby, 22, 21, 15 year olds migrating to the Perth area. He said we would have no problem with us and the youngest child as he is a bricklayer and youngest is still at school. The oldest two however would have to apply separately and there would be no guarantee that they would get in with their skills not being in demand (clubbing every night is not classified as a skill!!!). We desparately want to go but not without them. His answer would be that they come out with us on a 1 year holiday visa, then 1 year working visa and then go on from there, hopefully with the end result that they would eventually get a visa. He said that they would eventually be able to stay as our closest relatives able to get a visa to stay. Does anyone know anything about this and the various ways that they could be eligible.

Also, generally how much would it cost us to take a labrador with us in total. Advisor suggested we leave him behind but I just couldn't imagine leaving him. He advised us that it would be approx £1,500-2,000, is that right?

Would be grateful for any help please.

Hi there again

Just read your message about exam certificates and realised that they will probably ask for mine too, as we will be under my husband's application. Where the heck do we apply to get a copy of those from as it is a lot of years since I was at school? I am also the same, born and bred in England (lucky I know!!) to English parents.

We have now started the ball rolling with the initial application, is there anything that I should be trying to obtain, i.e. certificates, that would help to speed the whole process up?

Thanks

Nicky

Hi Nicky & Karen,

It sounds like a bit of a mess I guess, but it's not as if there's no way they can go with you. It may get a bit complicated, but surely it's worth it in the long run?!

As for the exam certificates, that's annoying me too. We've had to apply for my wife's certificates because although it's my application, apparently she has to prove that she can speak English. Being born in England to British parents and living her whole life in England is not enough apparently!! And the exam boards are not being that helpful and making us have to wait 4 weeks for a reply to possibly find out that you have to apply to another one instead, and another 4 weeks, etc, etc. Hopefully they'll respond by the end of next week......

Good luck to both of you,

Dazz

Guest Nelson

Hi Guys.. I have read this thread with interest. In our case, I telephoned my secondary school and simply asked them to write a letter confirming that I attended the school between this and that date and that the curriculum had been taught in English. I left school decades ago(!) but they had the information to hand! Also, my children are half Korean so I had to get letters from their school confirming that the curriculumwas taught in English. In my husband's case, I asked his employer to vouch for his English language capability and there was never any come back on that. I would just make a few phone calls to the schools and not fret about any exam certificates at secondary level. NVQ's and degrees are obviously a different matter though.

Hope this helps!

Krista

Thanks for that, I was panic stricken wondering how to get these from my school. Even though it is still there I left such a long time ago I wasn't sure they would still have records, well maybe in slate!!

Nicky

Hi Guys.. I have read this thread with interest. In our case, I telephoned my secondary school and simply asked them to write a letter confirming that I attended the school between this and that date and that the curriculum had been taught in English. I left school decades ago(!) but they had the information to hand! Also, my children are half Korean so I had to get letters from their school confirming that the curriculumwas taught in English. In my husband's case, I asked his employer to vouch for his English language capability and there was never any come back on that. I would just make a few phone calls to the schools and not fret about any exam certificates at secondary level. NVQ's and degrees are obviously a different matter though.

Hope this helps!

Krista

Archived