Apply for 176 (WA SS) or 175, what are the risks, what happens after 1July2012?

Guest Allena

Guest Allena

Dear all,

I would really appreciate any advice on this:

I have received WA SS 2 days ago. It's time to apply now but I have some doubts what is the better option.

If I apply for 176 visa, we'll get it in 1-2 months, almost no risks but we'll stick to the WA state. I like Perth, but somehow planned to get Master degree in Sydney first and maybe then settle in a smaller town.

If I apply for visa 175, I won't have to stay in any state, we'll be independent in all matters and can study in Sydey. However, what bothers me the most is what happens with 1st July on our doorstep? I am an accountant and the profession is on the risk-list and maybe excluded on 1st of July from SOL. As soon as I have launched the visa before 01/07 they will have no right not to consider the application but they may downgrade the visa to Priority Group 5 and we will wait for ages. Is my understanding correct?

Please help. Can't find anything saying what happens to those who have applied before new rules in place.

Guest Allena

I feel annoyed that even my agent can't give any advise on my question :( does DIAC has an e-mail or do they give any consultations by phone?

Guest Longtime Lurker
I feel annoyed that even my agent can't give any advise on my question :( does DIAC has an e-mail or do they give any consultations by phone?

It would be great if DIAC did advise Migration Agents in detail of any changes they are planning, but the reality is they do not. I imagine Migration Agents only have access to the information DIAC put into the public domain. If I were a Migration Agent I am not sure I would be willing to advise clients how things might change if I had no official information to back it up! Frustrating when you know DIAC must have formulated their processes by now.