176 Lodged June 2012

Guest Kimberlyusa

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best wishes to Dazzmatazz, SaraC, dalawton, fultonclan and walvia for your big moves! Wishing you all the best and look forward to hearing how you get on Downunder!

7 weeks till we fly to validate our visas and oh, so really wish it could be the big move. Just need to be patient (not one of my best traits!).

Here's wishing you all a brilliant 2013 in Australia!

Hi everyone! Haven't been on for ages we've been so busy!

Quick update....our flights are booked and we fly out to Perth on 3rd June! Yikes! Our dream begins in 4 months!!

Good luck my dear,,,,we have waited so long for the Meds to be finalized and know it is the time to face your dream

Hi everyone,,, just an update I booked my ticket on 3rd of May....wish me luck

by the way, why not we consider writing a new thread and share information regarding our first steps in Australia in general and Western Australia in particular(as many will go there)?

Hi everyone! Haven't been on for ages we've been so busy!

Quick update....our flights are booked and we fly out to Perth on 3rd June! Yikes! Our dream begins in 4 months!!

fantastic news i wish u all the best and look forward to hearing how ur doing! I havent been on for ages either, we have booked our validation trip for may 2013 the oh has started to apply for jobs now so hopefully he will get offered something? Failing that we are going to save some more then make the move may 2014.

good luck

Elaine x

Good luck to everyone who has made the move / making the move soon - I can't believe you've managed to get everything organised so soon! We're off to Perth next week to validate our visa, we're so excited and cant wait to have a look around. If everything goes well, we're hoping to make the move later this year. Keep the updates coming as it's nice to hear what stages everyone's at Clare x

Only been popping on here every now and then and WOW lots of people are getting so close to the big move/reccie trips.

We are 'leaving on a jet plane' on 12th March and can't wait!

Been doing car boot sales to get rid of things we no longer want, got another one this weekend. Really need to start cleaning the outdoor things, it's something I seem to be putting off all the time but there's not much time left!

Already started with our goodbye parties and have got a few more left.

Good luck everyone :biggrin:

There's this thread that's like a check list of things to do/follow if you're moving to Oz. It's very detailed...does anyone have a link, please?

I can't find it anywhere and I don't know why I failed to bookmark it when I first came across it.

I've found this one, it's not the one I was thinking of but it's quite extensive

http://www.*****************.com/migration/faqs/moving_lists.asp

If I find the one I was initially thinking of, I'll let you know.

There's this thread that's like a check list of things to do/follow if you're moving to Oz. It's very detailed...does anyone have a link, please?

I can't find it anywhere and I don't know why I failed to bookmark it when I first came across it.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/feedback-announcements/37024-really-useful-do-list.html

From a sticky on one of the forum topics.

Congrats and good luck to everyone who is about to make the move - and to Dazz who already jumped :biggrin:. We are still waiting :cry: hoping to get visa in time to go at least for vacations before August - AHPRA expires 1st of the month and I don`t feel like sending a million papers again for a new application:dull:

Hi all!

Thought I'd update you as to where we are. We got our visas at the end of July and hubbie flew out on 30th December. The kids and I flew out on 21st Jan (nightmare flight - never again will I travel with 2 toddlers on my own!). Hubbie sorted out a rental before we arrived but we had to stay in a furnished apartment for a week before it was ready. If you want to make money in Perth, furnished apartments for short term rentals for immigrants are the way to go! I would advise anyone going in the next 6 months to find one online and book it for at least 6 weeks to allow you to sort out a rental.

We had hoped to be able to sort a rental out before coming but in Australia the agents are not allowed to rent a property out to anyone who has not viewed it. We also had to offer $20 extra per week and to pay 3 months in advance in order to secure the rental. Apparently at every rental in the $450 - $600 per week range, there were between 20 and 30 people viewing, so it is a tough market.

We've been in our rental a couple of weeks and I like it. We have no furniture yet - it's been at the port for the last 3 weeks. We therefore are on camp beds and airbeds, have 2 chairs and a plastic table and chairs for the kids to eat off. We got rid of our computer desk before we arrived as it was broken so we bought a new one and are using that to eat off. Fortunately, in our luggage on the plane we put plates, knives, forks, spoons and cups. We have had to buy more saucepans but we have refused to buy things we already have. Thus we are having a marvellous time camping! We don't have air-con or a pool but it will do us until we can find our "forever home".

My husband got a job after his first interview which was good. He started a couple of days ago. I've met up with agencies in the last week but much of the time has been spent trying to settle the children into daycare. They have just realised that this is not a long holiday, we are staying, so we are having a few meltdowns of the toddler variety. It's fine until it happens in the middle of woollies!

I'd also suggest that if you want to get your kids into private schools that you get their names down on waiting lists now (if you know where you want to live and which schools you want them to go to). It is a real palava otherwise and the waiting lists seem to be as long as my arm. However one of the kids has got into kindy at the local state school so we can walk there each day which is nice.

I love it here. I am ever so happy! I am so glad that we did it and we came. It was very scary and I felt permanently sick in the three days before I got on the plane. However it didn't go "bounce, bounce, bounce" as it did on our last flight and we only had one medical emergency - so I felt we got off lightly!

Wishing everyone who is coming out soon best of luck! If anyone who is here would like to meet for a coffee or a beer at some point, give us a shout!

BW!

Carolyn

Hi all!

Thought I'd update you as to where we are. We got our visas at the end of July and hubbie flew out on 30th December. The kids and I flew out on 21st Jan (nightmare flight - never again will I travel with 2 toddlers on my own!). Hubbie sorted out a rental before we arrived but we had to stay in a furnished apartment for a week before it was ready. If you want to make money in Perth, furnished apartments for short term rentals for immigrants are the way to go! I would advise anyone going in the next 6 months to find one online and book it for at least 6 weeks to allow you to sort out a rental.

We had hoped to be able to sort a rental out before coming but in Australia the agents are not allowed to rent a property out to anyone who has not viewed it. We also had to offer $20 extra per week and to pay 3 months in advance in order to secure the rental. Apparently at every rental in the $450 - $600 per week range, there were between 20 and 30 people viewing, so it is a tough market.

We've been in our rental a couple of weeks and I like it. We have no furniture yet - it's been at the port for the last 3 weeks. We therefore are on camp beds and airbeds, have 2 chairs and a plastic table and chairs for the kids to eat off. We got rid of our computer desk before we arrived as it was broken so we bought a new one and are using that to eat off. Fortunately, in our luggage on the plane we put plates, knives, forks, spoons and cups. We have had to buy more saucepans but we have refused to buy things we already have. Thus we are having a marvellous time camping! We don't have air-con or a pool but it will do us until we can find our "forever home".

My husband got a job after his first interview which was good. He started a couple of days ago. I've met up with agencies in the last week but much of the time has been spent trying to settle the children into daycare. They have just realised that this is not a long holiday, we are staying, so we are having a few meltdowns of the toddler variety. It's fine until it happens in the middle of woollies!

I'd also suggest that if you want to get your kids into private schools that you get their names down on waiting lists now (if you know where you want to live and which schools you want them to go to). It is a real palava otherwise and the waiting lists seem to be as long as my arm. However one of the kids has got into kindy at the local state school so we can walk there each day which is nice.

I love it here. I am ever so happy! I am so glad that we did it and we came. It was very scary and I felt permanently sick in the three days before I got on the plane. However it didn't go "bounce, bounce, bounce" as it did on our last flight and we only had one medical emergency - so I felt we got off lightly!

Wishing everyone who is coming out soon best of luck! If anyone who is here would like to meet for a coffee or a beer at some point, give us a shout!

BW!

Carolyn

I'm very happy to hear that,,, you are helping us to overcome the stress and anxiety of immigration.... as Man thinks of leaving his home land and immigrating overseas, he feels uncertainty.

you gave me personally hope and made me very energized to go. I will arrive next May, wish me luck :)

and keep in touch with us

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thehoe5

Hi all,

just a quicky, does anyone know what we need to do about new passports? Both our daughters needed new ones so we sorted it before we go as we didn't want them to run out in Aus but will the visa need updating? Is there a form or something we need to fill out?

If anyone has done this could you let us know,

TIA x

• 2 weeks later...
Well I cannot believe our time in the UK is drawing to a close. Tickets booked and flying out to Perth on the 11th June........CANNOT WAIT!!!

Good luck for your move!

We fly in 10 days to validate and then back to the UK to make the final decision (down to OH once he had a look at job prospects) and then its a go plan our big move...