Strata fees?

Hi all, I'm having a bit of a panic attack - we are moving to Sydney 2 weeks on Friday and have budgeted $650 pw for an apartment. I know we have to pay rates and utilities on top of this but what are "strata" fees? Does everyone renting pay for these? I've only seen it on a few older properties?

Can someone please let me know what these are and how would I find out if a property were looking at has these fees?

Many Thanks

James

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm not sure who is responsible when renting, Petals may know, but Strata/Body Corp can be very expensive in some places.

I know when we had tenants we paid the body corp for them.

As has been said tenants are not liable for strata fees or rates. However if each apartment/unit has a separate water meter then the tenant pays for water. If there is only one meter for the whole block landlord has to pay.

With commercial leases its different, the tenant pays all rates, insurance, strata, land tax etc.

Petals, that's correct for Victoria, but it may be different in NSW.

It might be worth contacting TenantsNSW: http://www.tenants.org.au

I've taken a quick look at their fact sheets and there's one about renting a strata property (http://www.tenants.org.au/publish/factsheet-13-strata-scheme-tenants/index.php), but there's nothing in it about who pays the fees.

I'm a landlord in NSW and I don't charge tenants strata fees, nor do I know of any landlord charging strata fees. In 30 years of reading real estate ads I've never, ever seen any ad for a rental that states strata fees are payable on top of the rent.

Is the OP sure she saw it on a rental ad? They're commonly included in for sale ads, of course - but I've never seen strata fees mentioned on a rental.

Can we have a link to where you've seen it?