Sounds to good to be true!

Steveathome

Hi people, I have spoken to a lot of people regarding the move to Australia. Always the same answers about how wonderful it is and all that! Is there anyone that can paint a realistic outlook on life over there so that we can get a reality check before we make a decision?? Costs of general day to day living, etc?

Also anybody recommend a good agent to help with the visas??

Cheers

Steve:eek:

best thing for you to do is go through all the posts here, thats quite a generic question

we are leaving in Nov, one way flight

we used visa bureau - took all the stress out of the application process

best thing to do is go on holiday there before you pay all that money

Hi Steve,

We've taken the plunge and will be moving over in about six months. We've been to Australia for the past three years and have seen some steady increase in prices, but on the whole I think if you shop around you get the majority of items much the same as here in the UK. It was odd things that I found expensive, like yoghurt and orange juice, but some of the fruit I found cheaper. On the whole it hasn't put us off making the leap. I sense when you are earning dollars it will seem less expensive and maybe some of the things you have here, you don't have there as they maybe more expensive, but then you find other items which you don't have here and are cheaper.

We are also changing and going from two incomes to one as part of our move which in itself may be a shock initially especially as my wife likes her shopping, but again this hasn't stopped us wanting to move.

As regards visas. We used Sort out My Visa who were based in Bicester and found them very good. They weren't the cheapest, but the most important thing for us was they took the burden off us and got the most important things we needed - Our visas. We still had to supply tons of paperwork, but it was worthwhile. I think our visas cost circa £4-5,000 for a family of three after paying agents fees, medicals, DIAC fees etc etc. It's not the cheapest, so you have to be sure you want to make the move.

I would just recommend making a trip to where you want to go too before taking the plunge. We wouldn't be making the move if we hadn't been a few times, seen the major cities and felt comfortable we could make the move. We have no family, but have some friends in Melbourne and Sydney which will be a bonus when we feel homesick.

More than happy to help where I can.

Rich

Edited by richselina

Guest Nickyjrowland

Hi Steve,

I would say if you have a straight forward application then I would do it yourselves rather than use an agent, we did it ourselves and got a visa grant in 9 months with no hiccups along the way. You just have to be organised. If you have any concerns though, medical conditions, step children, criminal convictions I would consider an agent.

Good luck with it all!

Nicky

Hi Steve,

I would say if you have a straight forward application then I would do it yourselves rather than use an agent, we did it ourselves and got a visa grant in 9 months with no hiccups along the way. You just have to be organised. If you have any concerns though, medical conditions, step children, criminal convictions I would consider an agent.

Good luck with it all!

Nicky

With the imminent changes to the skilled program (SkillSelect, new visa subclasses) you should be prepared to do research into your strategy - and not be wholly reliant on the opinions of those who have gone before.

Or engage a migration agent who is across the new requirements.

Note: The new legislation impacting skilled visas and business skills visas has now been published: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2012L01105/Download

Best regards.