register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Wilcer

Prospective Marriage Visa Advice

Hi all,

Our PMV has been granted with a deadline of 5/9/12 which is great news. However, my partner has some concerns over the "wedding" details.

We are considering having a small, intimate ceremony for the 2 of us with 2 witnesses to legalise our marriage prior to having a more extravagant ceremony with family and friends in the future. BUT, she is concerned that a small wedding day wont have the meaning or emotion that it should. Unfortunately the visa deadline dictates that we must get married by 5/9/12 in order to stay together in Australia and this is proving a worry for her.

Any advice is much appreciated......

Rent a Crowd :wink:

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

I thought that the visa expire date on a PMV that you have quoted was to get married and LODGE your partner visa by the date so you can stay in the country?

Guest GeorgeD
I thought that the visa expire date on a PMV that you have quoted was to get married and LODGE your partner visa by the date so you can stay in the country?

This is correct!

Once you get married, you are still on the PMV...to remain in Oz you need to apply for another visa, such as the Spouse Visa, to keep you there legally. You will then be entitled to a bridging visa while you await the decision.

To the OP...other people have done the legal bit quietly, and then had a bigger ceremony further down the line for friends and family.

Wilcer, my partner and I are in the same predicament at the moment. Having had a series of difficult/unforeseen (non-relationship) challenges since we have been together on the visa we are rapidly approaching the end of the visa. We will most likely have the same small ceremony and have something more extravagant later. However, with the set backs we put off our first intended wedding date and now we both feel an enormous pressure with the date looming and are trying to find out about extending our PMV or moving to a de-facto. Does anyone know if this is possible? With exceptional circumstances?

Many thanks!

Timeline:

Visa Sent 15th July, Meds Done 18th July, Confirmation/CO Assigned and extra docs requested 19th July...waiting!

Hi all,

Our PMV has been granted with a deadline of 5/9/12 which is great news. However, my partner has some concerns over the "wedding" details.

We are considering having a small, intimate ceremony for the 2 of us with 2 witnesses to legalise our marriage prior to having a more extravagant ceremony with family and friends in the future. BUT, she is concerned that a small wedding day wont have the meaning or emotion that it should. Unfortunately the visa deadline dictates that we must get married by 5/9/12 in order to stay together in Australia and this is proving a worry for her.

Any advice is much appreciated......

You must comply with the terms of your visa and if that states ypu need to get married by a certain date then ypu should make plans to do so. Your first idea sounded perfect for the situation, I think your OH needs to get her had around it. The day is about your vows, the rest is a party.

We video'd the registry office ceremony, then showed it at both our wedding receptions (one in Australia, one in UK). Worked for us, and sooo much less stress on the day without having to ALSO worry about making sure the reception was all organised.