register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest micwheat

Moving to Perth from USA-help needed

Guest micwheat

Hello all, we are a family of two moving to perth next month end. we are super excited :)

Just wanted to get some info about rentals and cost of living. we will be working in downtown perth I suppose. So which place would be a good neighborhood to live in, based on rent, transportation to downtown etc factors..?

Also, can someone give info about which cell phone network is used mostly in perth and how does the contract work. can we take a 2yr contract and take an iphone (for ex) like in usa. Just trying to understand the process. Any help is appreaciated

Edited by micwheat

Hi

We have a few members in WA so im sure you will pick up lots of tips by reading this section of the forum. A ggod site to look at rental properties (and availability) is www.realestate.com.au .

With mobiles we find in QLD unless your inner city see which provider has the best coverage in the area you move to, as some offer great packages but dont work out great if you struggle to get any coverage whilst at home..

Good Luck with the move

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest Steve and Paula

Just wanted to say hi since I'll be moving with my family in a few months from Canada (an hour away from Toronto)! Nice to see that there's others moving from North America and I won't be the only one with this accent! Where in the States are you from? All the best with your move.

Paula

Hi there!

My husband and I moved here from Northern Ireland (I'm originally from California) about a year and a half ago. We were glued to these sites before trying to get as much info as we could.

We both have iphones, but got them unlocked before we left and then just got pay as you go sim cards from optus. We have the $30 a month plan and do call the US and UK quite a bit. We rarely have to top up early. Make sure to take advantage of facetime and skype too. That helps keep all the costs down.

The easiest way to get into the CBD (downtown) is by train. There are quite a few train lines that run through Perth and is really easy to get around.

There are tons of nice suburbs around Perth. It really does depend on your price range. That website realestate.com.au is really good. There's also gumtree.com.au. That one is kind of like the craigslist over here. We have bought loads of stuff off there, but they also have jobs and people looking to meet friends. They have the same thing in the UK and I actually met a few girlfriends through the site there.

I hope all that info helps! I love it here and have no plans to live anywhere else :biggrin:

:jiggy:

If you haven't got any kids then I'd try as rent close to the city as you can afford rather than suburbia - fun areas with a bit of life about them - Leederville, Mt Lawley, Fremantle, East Perth, Northbridge, Subiaco Claremont. If rents are too high there try Joondalup.