Guest sadiesmum

$19 for a paperback book!

Guest sadiesmum

Ive just been doing some cost comparisons on the things I buy the most in the UK and I couldnt believe how expensive books are!

If I get time I read about 4 books per month so one of favorite hobbies is going to cost me a fortune!

Id hate to admit it but Im thinking of getting a Kindle if it saves me money. Does anyone know how much ebooks are in comparison?

Thanks

Ive just been doing some cost comparisons on the things I buy the most in the UK and I couldnt believe how expensive books are!

If I get time I read about 4 books per month so one of favorite hobbies is going to cost me a fortune!

Id hate to admit it but Im thinking of getting a Kindle if it saves me money. Does anyone know how much ebooks are in comparison?

Thanks

I think amazon does a special deal every day for around a pound. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_161849367_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000577623&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=04HH82Z51G4AK2NXNH14&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=270713247&pf_rd_i=341689031

Book depository also delivers free delivery world wide. http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

(RSMS 187) RCB 26.09.2013, Nomination 14.10.2013, Visa re-lodged 27.10.2013 non DRC. Child and Family Health nurse. Low risk country. Nomination and Visa both granted 03.12.2013. :jiggy:

Guest sadiesmum

Thank you! All is not lost! :)

Yeah, the price of books here is silly

Buy a Kindle or other e-reader. You can buy e-books off the UK or US Amazon sites, or (if you're that way inclined) find ways of getting them for nowt. Getting books sent here is the next best option

On no account buy books in shops. These places need to go out of business

:wink:

Thanks

Im the same as you but as my kids are grown up and i have more time so can get thru 3 or so books a week. Since start of year ive bascially been stocking up on books to ship out, any special offers or passing charity shop,then im in there buying. I also thought of a kindle but in my ickle fantasy world i worry about taking a kindle to the beach or even better my own pool (i know in my dreams)lol. Here in the uk i read a lot in the bath (vino in hand) so again worry about kindle. I also like the feel of a book.

Libraries are free and well frequented in Aus. My oh and my mother both use the library extensively.

I am not a book reader but my friend buys all hers at the Sunday markets and in op shops.

Actually its not just the books are dear, finding a book shop is now harder as a few chains are no longer around.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Just don't buy them and they will soon all close down.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

There are cheap bookshops around where paperbacks are only $5, so all is definitely not lost.

Offshore partner visa sent 2/6/10, signed for 3/6/10, money taken 7/6/10, CO acknowledgement 9/6/10, PR Visa granted 28/9/10, Arrived in Brisbane 5/11/10 and loving life again :biggrin:

Guest melanie79

i remember when i was there that new books cost a fortune. i have fond memories of going into the 2nd hand bookshop in randwick. you can bring your old book in then for a small fee swap it. it was all the rage as ozzies love to recycle!!! and suprisingly there was alot of new releases as the backpackers use to sell their books on.

I regually buy books from UBD and they are not too bad price wise.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

I also thought of a kindle but in my ickle fantasy world i worry about taking a kindle to the beach or even better my own pool (i know in my dreams)lol. Here in the uk i read a lot in the bath (vino in hand) so again worry about kindle. I also like the feel of a book.

They're pretty robust - not nearly as fragile as a computer or a smartphone or something. Obviously dropping them in water isn't going to do them a power of good but the beach is fine

The key thing is to make sure you get one with an e-ink screen - it makes all the difference in terms of eye-strain, battery life and ability to read in bright light. They really are just like looking at printed words on a page

The convenience of being able to stick hundreds of books on the one simple device that fits in your jacket or bag, and the ease/cheapness of downloading e-books makes up for anything else IME. I used to like the "feel of a book" but it honestly never crosses my mind now

I was shocked at the price of books here.

You really do have to shop around and compare, I fancied reading Fifty Shades of Grey so looked in my local book store and it was $17.95 for a small paper back, I went to Big W and bought it there for $9.95.

I also use second hand book shops, I also take some of the old stuff I have and trade in, this then makes them slightly cheaper, they don´t give you much for them, but if they are so so books and you don´t want them clogging up the book shelves it is worth it.

I also took 2 large boxes with me (shipped) as I like to collect thrillers and some of them I don´t want to part with, such as my Patterson´s and La Plante stuff.

Shop around and as PP has said a Kindle is probably a good idea, my MIL loves hers, but I prefer a book, but that is me, there is something about a paper back, particularly a new one. Maybe I will end up with a Kindle but for the moment I am sticking with my old habit. :wink: And has Petal´s has said there are libraries, which I might investigate myself at some stage.

Guest guest36187

Kindle books can be really dear too. Gt kindle on the iPad here, I check out which is cheapest, kindle or actual book and get that!!

I get books from book depository - much cheaper. Also my hubby just bought me a Kobo e-reader, but i'll still be making trips to the library - can't beat holding a book!!

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

When I've seen the libraries in Oz, the books tend to be very clean and new. I used to belong to the book exchange in Dianella - not sure if it's still there.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

I heard from somewhere (sorry can't remember where) that apparently amazon is looking to open a proper Australian site (not just kindle). Fingers crossed...

otherwise, libraries, or e-books (I'm still plowing through the hundreds of older books that are available for free).

Guest Guest31881
I heard from somewhere (sorry can't remember where) that apparently amazon is looking to open a proper Australian site (not just kindle). Fingers crossed...

otherwise, libraries, or e-books (I'm still plowing through the hundreds of older books that are available for free).

It was reported in the papers that Amazon were in Australia a couple of weeks ago on a fact finding mission for warehousing with a view to starting up an Australian version of Amazon.

It was reported in the papers that Amazon were in Australia a couple of weeks ago on a fact finding mission for warehousing with a view to starting up an Australian version of Amazon.

That's probably where I heard it then :)

I don't know where you will be living but we have an excellent library system throughout this state. It includes ebooks which are downloadable free if you are a library member. You may find the same wherever you settle.

Some great advice here .... I am a real bookie and though I do use a kindle, I never get the same pleasure from it as I get when I curl up with a paperback.

Books here can be extortionate but I shop around ..... I use the charity shops, the library, the discount book shops and also the book exchanges in our area.

17/6/09 - Lodged 175, CSL ........ Visa Grant - 28/1/10 ........ Arrived in Brisbane - 2/7/10 :jiggy:

Guest Guest16631

...........lifeline the red cross and sometimes the local library have a book fest.............where hundreds of books are put out usually in the local hall and are sold for very little money...........advertised by your local council and charity shops..........a good time to stock up...

I thought they were expensive because of Australian Copyright Laws which are now strangling Australian book retailers 'cos they have to peddle Australian versions that folks can get from Amazon in where-ever for a fraction of the price.

Personally, I love 'proper' books - one's that I can use to smack my 11 yo round the lug-hole with when he gives his ma cheek. I get them from Amazon or the Book Depository. I sometimes get around to reading them too.:wink:

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Guest sadiesmum

Can book clubs be found in Oz? Thought it would be a good way to meet people and swap books. I'm like a lot of your and love holding a book, I also like collecting a library of them so prefer to buy than borrow. I do tend to borrow my daughters books though, are childrens books good quality in OZ?

I went to the charity shop in the uk and bought lots of books at 4 for £1 and shipped them over but whilst I was waiting for the container to come I did find some cheap book shop, they all had English priced stickers on and couldn't believe it was cheaper to buy imported books than any others.

I thought they were expensive because of Australian Copyright Laws which are now strangling Australian book retailers 'cos they have to peddle Australian versions that folks can get from Amazon in where-ever for a fraction of the price.

Ah! You mean "Australia in futile and counter-productive protectionist policy non-shocker"??

Who'd 'a thunk it?