and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest grolly

Moving to Brisbane (probably Cleveland area) in July

Guest grolly

Hi

After a year and a half we have finally got our visas granted! Flights booked for 22nd July - can't believe it! :biggrin:

We'll initially be staying with family in Thornland. We have been thinking of Cleveland as a potential area to live. Our main criteria are that we can walk to the seafront and nearby restaurants/bars/shops etc. We have two dogs so want to be near places we can walk them. I do a lot of running so would like some nice places to run.

Whilst we don't have jobs yet, chances are we will be commuting into Brisbane. I've heard it is about 1 hour from Cleveland on the train. Is this about right?

If anyone has any feedback on Cleveland, or general tips for moving it would be great to hear.

Liz

Hiya congratulation on getting your visa, we are in the process of appling for ours, so hope next year this time i will be as happy as you are!! we hoping to move to smithfield, Qld. hope you get info on area before you go and all the best for when you go.

Ps (you're actually travelling on my son's b'day)! x

Tan

Bayside is lovely, should be just right for you and your wishlist :biggrin:- lots of my friends live there and yep, about an hour train commute about right! Good Luck and enjoy!!

RahRah :biggrin:

175 lodged 21/12/09, QNC applied 04/01/10 - approved 07/04/10, CO 24/02/10, Visa Grant 29/04/10. Arrived in Oz Nov 2010.

Guest grolly
Bayside is lovely, should be just right for you and your wishlist :biggrin:- lots of my friends live there and yep, about an hour train commute about right! Good Luck and enjoy!!

Sounds like we will like it there then!!

We'll be looking for a rental when we get there. We have two small dogs (jack russels). Do you think we will have a problem finding a pet friendly rental? Would like something fairly modern but appreciate this might be restricted by having our dogs. What do people think?

We have been in Thornlands for 7 months now, we bought our dog out here from the UK, no problems in getting a rental as long as you dont want a pool as well !!!

For some reason, all the places we looked at that had a pool wouldnt allow pets (of any sort) not sure why ????

Cleveland is lovely and yes is about an hour commute to City.

Good luck with your move, never know we may bump into you while out walking the dogs !

Guest grolly

Might see you in Thornlands as we'll be living there initially! We are going to be staying with my husbands sister who lives there while we job and house hunt.

Are they ok about you having the dog in the house? Someone mentioned that they like you to keep the dog in the garden, especially when you are out?

A lot of them say that the dog must be kept outside, just agree to it. We let our dog in the house when she wants to come in, but to be honest she doesnt want to come in too much as it is cooler outside for her. When we were in the UK she hated being outside on her own, but now when we let her in after 10mins or so she is waiting by the door to go out again. This includes sleeping outside at night too. She has become a real outside dog now, considering she will be 10 in August !