What is Toowoomba like for families????

Dansi

hey, me and my partner mover to toowoomba december 2012 and we love it here. my partner works in oakey which is 25/30 minutes drive away but we wouldnt live there as we think toowoomba is the place to be in terms of things to do and amenities. to be honest i wouldnt want to live anywhere further than toowoomba because we enjoy going to the beach and we like it here as everyone is friendly and there are a lot of nice places to live in toowoomnba outsiide of the city, especially in south toowoomba like centenary heights and kearney springs, we live in harristown and couldnt be happier. we pay 270 for a three bedroomed house with a garden, garage and 3 bathrooms and its great. too much room for the 2 of us :) in terms of the bad things i would just say the cold weather thi time of year... woke up this morniing and it was 5 degrees. but as it gets further iinto the day it gets warmer. we went to brisbane the other day and when we left toowoomba it was 14 degrees, then we went down the mountain it was 27! i think if we lived near the coast we would probably get bored of it so its nice to live in a little town with everything you need and be able to drive a few hours to the each to get away. if you have any questions just drop me an email.

zoe and dan xx

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys,

It's nice to hear from the people that have relatively recently moved to Toowoomba, and it sounds like a great place. I will be speaking to my prospective employers later on today so hopefully will have some news for you all, and even more hopefully may be able to meet up one day hehe.

Anyway all have a good day, work beckons :dull:

Simon

Thanks guys,

It's nice to hear from the people that have relatively recently moved to Toowoomba, and it sounds like a great place. I will be speaking to my prospective employers later on today so hopefully will have some news for you all, and even more hopefully may be able to meet up one day hehe.

Anyway all have a good day, work beckons :dull:

Simon

To back up what the previous posters have said, if you move here on a 457 visa, you will be resident for tax purposes and pay the same tax as everyone else.

80k supports two adults VERY comfortably in Adelaide, including lots of luxuries like travel, nice accommodation walking distance from the CBD, eating out often etc. I would say it should be fine for a family, though putting your daughter through university on a 457 will be very expensive as you'll get hit with international fees, and I somehow doubt she'll be able to live at home and save costs this way, as presumably uni in Toowoomba doesn't do marine courses

It's great to hear from the people actually living in Toowoomba right now....such positive outlooks....

Do let us know how it goes for you & your family Dansi.....& later - I for one would be quite happy to put you in touch with friends of mine in a very nice part of Brisbane who have two girls of the same age as your elder daughter who have just begun their 'uni' life....

(gushy caution) you guys are so awesome (ok i'm done) but seriously there is some great info on this thread, and i am all but convinced that toowoomba is the place for us, just need the right answers from my prospective employer now. The tax is great news, as you say, more disposable income. Don't forget I was only asking how it would be on my wage and not taking overtime into account at that, when the OH gets a job, uni etc will be affordable.

cheers all

Simon

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Really pleased about all the great reviews, i didn't believe what i had read before, from just one person ..... Not you Connie, lol

Sounds like a lovely place to me, i still prefer to be near the coast, but if thats not what you want, Toowoomba sounds a really nice, laid back place to live, best of luck everyone.

It does sound really nice, and not too far to plan weekends at the beach..... Dan is already on Baillee Henderson Hospital website searching for her job, and thanks to Bobj the oldest is on a uni website planning her life out. No pressure on me then, lets hope that my prospective employer comes back with the right answers and my sponsorship goes ok lol..

I can see me in a couple of years with a Boat on the drive on a trailer ready to be taken down the road to brisbane :wink:

Cheers

Simon

NAH - Get your priorities right Dad - the Landcruiser & Horse Float will be on the property loooooooong before the boat !!!!

Hal leaving Diana's.JPG

... On a (slightly!) more serious note - isn't it great though, that all these 'Poms-In-Ozzers' can share their knowledge, information, impressions & opinions about any given area on this forum....

I wish there had been something like this when I first went to Australia .....

Hal leaving Diana's.JPG

Edited by Galahad

Thought I would post an update.....

The company that are still in the process of offering me the role, have now secured a new contract on the east coast, so it is more important now than ever that we get things moving, I will be receiving my new 'updated' Letter of Offer this week for my consideration.

Lets hope my VISA app doesn't cause any issues and is passed quite quickly eh..

Simon

Hi just thought i'd post as we now have internet :) We moved to Toowoomba 3 months ago, we live in Highfields hubby, me and 4 children. Before we moved all i did was research and panic, as every good post about something, areas schools etc there was a bad post, god i didnt want to move at first lots of what ifs and doubts, we gave up alot in the uk but after 3 months here it was completley worth it :) We have moved home, and thats exactly what it feels like here, we love it kids love it, its amazing you really do fall in love with australia.

it is the hardest thing you'll ever do and it isnt for the faint hearted but as i always maintain you only have one chance of life so live it! We have viewed the move as just a house move, we wanted to settle into normal life as soon as possible, and thats why i think were home, its not a holidasy or luxury beach lifestyle, its just home! You have to mentally adjust to a slower pace, why rush we moved for a change of lifestyle and thats what we have, its very different from the uk but thats why we moved!

Toowoomba is a beautiful place to live, no humidty, 2 hours from the most amazing beaches in the world, although we havent been yet lol! but we have a lifetime, a drive to brisbane. It has plenty of school private and public, fantastic shops, parks well everything really. and like every place in the world there are good and bad places to live, good and bad people, good and bad schools! Make your own mind up is my advice to anyone wanting to move to oz, the only way to know if you like it is to move here and live it! What suits one person wont suit another so read peoples posts with an open mind!

We self packed are own container and shipped it ourselves, no problems with customs, they didnt even check every box! We came through customs at airport with food i forgot to declare, not a problem, flights blood long though and very tiring! We living on hubbys wage, no lafha and no benefits, rent $390 for a modern 4 bed house in highfields! Foods no more expensive than uk, meal plan and not wasteful! Life will get easier and i wouldnt change a thing, it was definatley the right move for us.

getting the kids set up for school is expensive, as you have to buy all school books etc, medicare easy to do, getting a sim you need id and passport thats a bit off a bugbear! It takes a while to get telstra etc, slower pace which is frustrating when you've lived in uk lol!

I cant think of much else at moment but just felt i had to post, we love it here and look forward to buying a home in the near future once we have residency! Oh shipping stuff, bring everything, not thats its major expensive but its just a headache moving the other side of the world then having to shop for basics! Oh and we have rediscovered Aldi, love it i think i was to brand conscious in uk, but then there was more variety and competition!

Anyway good luck for the future x x

Hi just thought i'd post as we now have internet :) We moved to Toowoomba 3 months ago, we live in Highfields hubby, me and 4 children. Before we moved all i did was research and panic, as every good post about something, areas schools etc there was a bad post, god i didnt want to move at first lots of what ifs and doubts, we gave up alot in the uk but after 3 months here it was completley worth it :) We have moved home, and thats exactly what it feels like here, we love it kids love it, its amazing you really do fall in love with australia.

it is the hardest thing you'll ever do and it isnt for the faint hearted but as i always maintain you only have one chance of life so live it! We have viewed the move as just a house move, we wanted to settle into normal life as soon as possible, and thats why i think were home, its not a holidasy or luxury beach lifestyle, its just home! You have to mentally adjust to a slower pace, why rush we moved for a change of lifestyle and thats what we have, its very different from the uk but thats why we moved!

Toowoomba is a beautiful place to live, no humidty, 2 hours from the most amazing beaches in the world, although we havent been yet lol! but we have a lifetime, a drive to brisbane. It has plenty of school private and public, fantastic shops, parks well everything really. and like every place in the world there are good and bad places to live, good and bad people, good and bad schools! Make your own mind up is my advice to anyone wanting to move to oz, the only way to know if you like it is to move here and live it! What suits one person wont suit another so read peoples posts with an open mind!

We self packed are own container and shipped it ourselves, no problems with customs, they didnt even check every box! We came through customs at airport with food i forgot to declare, not a problem, flights blood long though and very tiring! We living on hubbys wage, no lafha and no benefits, rent $390 for a modern 4 bed house in highfields! Foods no more expensive than uk, meal plan and not wasteful! Life will get easier and i wouldnt change a thing, it was definatley the right move for us.

getting the kids set up for school is expensive, as you have to buy all school books etc, medicare easy to do, getting a sim you need id and passport thats a bit off a bugbear! It takes a while to get telstra etc, slower pace which is frustrating when you've lived in uk lol!

I cant think of much else at moment but just felt i had to post, we love it here and look forward to buying a home in the near future once we have residency! Oh shipping stuff, bring everything, not thats its major expensive but its just a headache moving the other side of the world then having to shop for basics! Oh and we have rediscovered Aldi, love it i think i was to brand conscious in uk, but then there was more variety and competition!

Thank you Libbysmummy,

its really good to hear from someone that has recently been through what I am about to put my family through.

I am really liking the look of the Toowoomba area, and just want things to get moving now.

Cheers and hope it all stays as good as you seem to find it.

Simon.

• 1 month later...

What about the chocolate cottage? and the seafood Pizza at la fresca is gorgeous....

• 2 months later...
Guest 17gardiner

Its sounds great :biggrin:

My partner as landed a dream job in Toowoomba and im hoping to be able to join him with my two boys early next year. Unfortunately my ex husband doesnt want the children to go, even though he doesnt have anything to do with the children.

So im trying to provide as much info as possible why moving the children to toowoomba would be a great place for them to live.

I agree we should all live life and I believe that this opportunity for me and my two boys will be a fantastic life experience.

If you have any more info on activities and education for children I would be very gratefull. (My boys are primary school age)

Thanks

Well it seems all the positive posts on this thread bear the most truth about Toowoomba.

I have been here a little under two weeks now and already feel at home in the city.

I have just signed the lease and paid the bond on a nice 4 bed 2 bath house in Glenvale (20 minute walk to work), I have a choice of 4 schools for my youngest but all look good on the stats. Probrably going to go with Glenvale state school as it is closest and less religious.

It seems that everywhere I go someone has a smile and a big bright 'Hallo', and I don't think I have encountered any grumpy shop staff. Oh and supermarkets....they pack all of your shopping for you, wasn't expecting that hehehe.

The eldest is out looking for jobs at the moment, she is just going to look for something to get her by for the first 18 months or so, then we will be applying for PR (thats the plan anyway) which will make College/Uni a lot easier.

2012-09-16 13.22.48.jpg Here is the view looking over the top of my new house towards Highfields.

2012-09-16 13.23.00.jpg And tehn looking the other way to the west of Toowoomba.

All I can say to anyone considering Toowoomba, is that it is a lovely place, quite quiet so bear that iin mind when considering. But the shopping is good, and there are a few nice bars. most people are very helpful, and there are loads and loads of schools and colleges.

Some places are a little industrial, but hey aren't they everywhere now and at least they are localised in Toowoomba and not just dotted everywhere.

The Carnival of flowers is about to get underway here, and there is a bit of a buzz around the Queens Park area of town (which is truly beautiful by the way). But from what I have seen, there is a buzz around most of the parks on the weekends anyway with families using the facilities to have a damn good day out.

Anyway, anyone considering Toowoomba, please feel free to drop me a line. I may be without internet for the next week or so, but telstra have told me that I should be online within a week of moving in on Tuesday so I won't be away for too long, besides I still have my mobile to reply to PM's. I also do not pretend to be an expert on the place as there is only so much you can see in two weeks, however I will try my damndest to help where I can.....

All the best

Simon

2012-09-16 13.22.48.jpg

2012-09-16 13.23.00.jpg

Guest 17gardiner

Highfields looks good place. I think we will be south of the city. Im from a small village with only one shop and two pubs, so I dont think it will be too quiet for us. Ive collected alot of info on the schools, (mainly the state schools) I was quite suprised at the size of the schools. My boys present primary school in the uk only as 100 pupils. Do you know If there are any other fees for state schools other than buying books and uniforms.

kind regards

Highfields looks good place. I think we will be south of the city. Im from a small village with only one shop and two pubs, so I dont think it will be too quiet for us. Ive collected alot of info on the schools, (mainly the state schools) I was quite suprised at the size of the schools. My boys present primary school in the uk only as 100 pupils. Do you know If there are any other fees for state schools other than buying books and uniforms.

kind regards

Not as far as I know but I will have more info in the next couple of weeks. Keep an eye on this thread.

Cheers

Simon

I am so excited about Toowoomba, it is my city of choice so far. All these positive posts make me so enthusiastic to get out there!

Did you have much competition for the rental Dansi?

Hi justthought i'd reply regarding rentals, i was shocked the first time i went to a viewing, there was about 15 other people, they show groups of people at the same time. When you arrive i would go round to the agents and fill in forms gives you a heads up and they'll have meet you and have an idea what your looking for. It seems to be a lot harder to get a property in say rangeville or middle ridge these are good areas in south toowoomba, look for yourselves though as i listened to much to what other people said and it just wasnt the case when we arrived. Oh and we found the big estate agents can mess you about a bit, so maybe try some smaller independent agents, thats how we got our house in highfields.

Hi justthought i'd reply regarding rentals, i was shocked the first time i went to a viewing, there was about 15 other people, they show groups of people at the same time. When you arrive i would go round to the agents and fill in forms gives you a heads up and they'll have meet you and have an idea what your looking for. It seems to be a lot harder to get a property in say rangeville or middle ridge these are good areas in south toowoomba, look for yourselves though as i listened to much to what other people said and it just wasnt the case when we arrived. Oh and we found the big estate agents can mess you about a bit, so maybe try some smaller independent agents, thats how we got our house in highfields.

Very useful information, thank you!

• 8 months later...