Start up costs?

Guest diegodanny

Guest diegodanny

Dear Friends,

Can anyone advise on the set up costs upon arrival in Oz? What would be a realistic figure for a family of 3 to get settled? Are their any angencies that can offer us a half way stop for accomodation (FF HOUSE) while we wait to rebuild our possesions and wait for our shipping to arrive.

It seems so daunting arriving with an infant child and suitcases! I'm loosing sleep about our initial arrival, if I was 10 years younger and did not have the responsibility of my infant son the process would be easier to grasp!

Can anyone pass on their arrival experience? Give advice? Offer realistic figures relative to recent migration?

Thank you

We are a family of 4 (our girls are 3 and 1) from London and we arrived in Perth in February 2012 with only $15,000. I managed to find a job on my 3rd day and bought a 2nd hand car for $5000 in our second week. We shipped over about 8 boxes but no furniture. We found a good clean 3 bedroom rental property for $400 per week. We've had to buy all new furniture, including a fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, couches, dining room table, drawers, beds and appliances and other stuff as well as tools for my trade. We have pretty much nothing left so now its a matter of slowly building up some savings again. Its been a bit nerve racking living off just my wage but we absolutely love it here. The weather is near perfect, the open space and beaches and the general relaxed vibe is brilliant. We knew it was going to be a bit tough in the beginning but its been worth it.

Good luck

Paul

Guest Guest66881
We are a family of 4 (our girls are 3 and 1) from London and we arrived in Perth in February 2012 with only $15,000. I managed to find a job on my 3rd day and bought a 2nd hand car for $5000 in our second week. We shipped over about 8 boxes but no furniture. We found a good clean 3 bedroom rental property for $400 per week. We've had to buy all new furniture, including a fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, couches, dining room table, drawers, beds and appliances and other stuff as well as tools for my trade. We have pretty much nothing left so now its a matter of slowly building up some savings again. Its been a bit nerve racking living off just my wage but we absolutely love it here. The weather is near perfect, the open space and beaches and the general relaxed vibe is brilliant. We knew it was going to be a bit tough in the beginning but its been worth it.

Good luck

Paul

Excellent reply and post mate, good on ya as they say here:biggrin:

Guest jtrd

We've been here since January, our rent is 900/wk, nursery is 350/wk, school fees (catholic school) 600/term, groceries 4-500/month (family of 4) but we live in Sydney - I think how much you need really depends where you'll be settling.

one thing I would say after spending £4500 shipping our whole house, this is the one thing I wouldn't do again unless I could send it along time in advance as we were so uncomfortable for about 2 months with next to nothing and wasted too much money on cheap stuff just to get us through to our things arriving.

hope all goes well for you!

Guest diegodanny

Wow Paul, that is encouraging, good on you buddy, we are leaning toward Perth, I would be interested in learning more from you!

Guest scrumpy

Did you find plumbing work? If so tell me about it, go on as Im a plumber stuck in UK trying to sort visas out

Cheers

Good luck

Paul

Thank you for sharing this info :biggrin: I'm feeling extremely relieved to know it can be done! When/if we get our visa we'll be taking around $15-17K with us to Perth (family of 4). We have also decided not to ship the entire house/cars over but instead to send a few boxes and start again over there. The only other thing I'm considering doing is sending the hubby over before the rest of us in the hope he can secure a job/rental and have all the basics in place before the rest of us arrive, however not sure how I feel about the flight with 2 young children and all that luggage on my own :eek: hmmm, something for us to think about though.

Shelly x

A couple of tips for those not coming with much.

Ikea do a kit of 1st home things. In it are all the kitchen things you need to get started such as knives, pans and things and I think it's about $200. We still use lots of it now 4 years later.

Fantastic furniture do sets where they will put together all the basic furniture needed for a room or even a house very cheaply. It's not the greatest stuff but enouh to tide you over for a couple of years