Foreign competition for OZ companies

Guest Guest69235

Guest Guest69235

Reading around on the forum, it seems companies like Aldi and power playes like Steve Wozniak are seeing opportunities for beating the established players (most of them would be local I guess)... and the government seems to be of the mind that there is some foul play involved in the local market. SO, do you think the government should open the market for foreign companies??

Personally, I am ALL for protecting weak sectors... as long as the protections are enshrouded in legislation that force the businesses to work towards recovery (rather than knowingly remaining weak and enjoying the protections). But in many cases, Aussie companies are well placed to compete with global players... they just need to make themselves more nimble and competitive... and they have the talent and resources to do it. Opening up the market would force the local companies to start thinking out of the box... and one avenue for 'getting even' would be aggressive targeting of foreign markets. That would make Australia a global brand... which would be a very good thing.

What do you say???

Guest sh7t man no way

australia is a very insular place--they dont realy like those foriegn type countrys in there market place--mind you they dont mind selling there wealth to the chinese--strange one that me thinks

Guest Guest69235
australia is a very insular place--they dont realy like those foriegn type countrys in there market place--mind you they dont mind selling there wealth to the chinese--strange one that me thinks

Its not going to remain for too long... the world is increasingly becoming inter-dependent... I read just today on smh.com.au (I think) that the Aussie Dollar has been falling because of fresh concerns in Greece... that's a connection most wouldn't make. They'll have to get their act together sooner or later.

Guest sh7t man no way

only against the american dollar ref (aus dollar)--shame its not against sterling-beware of greeks bearing gifts

Guest Guest69235
only against the american dollar ref (aus dollar)--shame its not against sterling-beware of greeks bearing gifts

Actually, it might be that the Aussie is weakening... or it might be that the USD is regaining its lost strength. Gold is down (in USD terms) which is indicative I think. If the USD keeps its strength till end of September... AND the PKR doesn't slide... this is going to be VERY good for my move to Australia... parochial I know but just couldn't help that teensy bit of glee... :biggrin:

Guest Guest69235

I'll keep my eyes peeled... :biggrin: :wink:

Actually, it might be that the Aussie is weakening... or it might be that the USD is regaining its lost strength. Gold is down (in USD terms) which is indicative I think. If the USD keeps its strength till end of September... AND the PKR doesn't slide... this is going to be VERY good for my move to Australia... parochial I know but just couldn't help that teensy bit of glee... :biggrin:

Correct. It isn't so much that the AUS dollar has strengthened, but that the pound and US have weakened. Mainly due to several rounds of QE. As the Euro is looking shaky, traders are pulling out of it and buying pound and dollar again. If the Euro does start to unravel, expect to see the rate of AUS weaken a lot against the pound and US