You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Hi,

My younger sister(21) is just about to finish her nursing degree (expecting a 2:1) and she wants to move to Australia (Brisbane in particular) as soon as possible but doesn't know how to go about it.

I know you can get a working holiday visa for 12 months but would that allow her to work in nursing? ideally she would like to get a nursing job as soon as possible so she can build up her experience.

Does anyone know if she can gain her work experience in Australia and if so, what are her options?

Thanks

Steve

Guest Guest26012

She would need to apply for a grad programme as a newly qualified nurse! She needs to contact hospitals directly to see which ones are offering grad programmes to overseas nurses. It would all depend on where in oz she wants to be.

She can come on a WHV but could only work for 6 months with one employer. She will also need to be registered with AHPRA .. which she won't be able to do until she qualifies

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest Guest26012
She can come on a WHV but could only work for 6 months with one employer. She will also need to be registered with AHPRA .. which she won't be able to do until she qualifies

I agree Ali, she could come on a whv. The only prob with this is that she would have no post grad experience and she would be working in acute areas ( in the hospitals ), and would be expected to know her stuff. Scary for a newly qualified nurse! That's if she would even be allowed to register with agencies with no post grad experience?

I know that there are been a couple of people employed in older Adult on WHV (fixed term contract), but don't know if they have had experience or not. I think (personally), it's always good to get 12 months under your belt of being a qualified nurse ... big step up from being a student to being an RN

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest Guest26012

Totally agree Ali! Maybe come and work in aged care and then look for sponsorship or grad placement?