Whats it like to live in cairns

Guest linc

we live in the uk and have done so for 10 years, previously lived in melbourne for 10 years, I have an Australian Passport and my wife is a midwife so we are thinking of coming back to Aus, but do not want to live in a big city,we fancy living in cairns,

Would love to hear from anyone who is living in cairns or surrounding area, re whats it like , jobs, schools etc

Regards

Linc

I dont live there yet but cant wait. There is not to many heading that way i'm afaid there is someone on the forum whio occassionally pops in her name is asylon.

We are looking at sending our kinds to cairns State High School mainly because it has a football programme.

Would really like to live in the North of Cairns near the beaches but South is a bit cheaper also the places in North Cairns dont usually come in the right catchment area.

I got to know quite a few nurses who are there or heading out there to work at the base hospital they are loving it.

There is a lot of building work going on in Cairns and people we know who live there are saying that people are moving up from Brisbane to escape the drought.

People who live there seem to love it and i'm sure I will to :yes:

thanks for the reply, I worked in cairns 15 years ago and it was brill, and I know things have changed, but how much I don't know.

We are expecting to go late next year, when do you expect to arrive, are you a nurse?and have you got a job lined up.

Linc

Hope to be there before May.

No i'm not a nurse but most of the people I have got to know who are going there are.

I am a mum full time at the minute having a wee break from work for the past few years I know i';m lucky.

Apparently things have changed a lot with all the building work but people are saying that about most placed.

Hubby is pipe fitter/ welder and a lot more besides.

Hello, the elusive asylon popping by.

We live in Port Douglas, 1hr north of Cairns. I absolutely love it here. We originally intented living in Cairns but my husband landed a job up here so here we are.

Only been here about 3 months so still in the honeymoon period but I think it's going to be great for our children. Can't remember the question, too much red wine. Was down in Cairns today, love it. Not too hot, even now in the wet season, though everyone tells me it's going to get worse. No mozzies if you live in the right area, loads if you live in a swamp. And amazing natual beauty. And heaps to do, especially for the kids. The stinger season stops you going in the sea for over half the year but there are heaps of fresh water swimming holes and of course the lagoon, which is brilliant, and free.

Hi Wardy. All still good. Any specific questions please ask, when I'm sober. Might find it a tad rough in Cairns, but thats just because I'm now used to Port where crime doesn't happen. Not a patch on most UK cities, but there is the odd late night bashing incident. It's mostly just full of harmless backpackers and Japanese tourists, they are lovely. Have a friend with boys who are finding it hard to fit into Cairns High, getting the old " Pommie B******" stuff. But thats just boys being boys.

Ax

Forgot to say, the people up here are just lovely, I feel more at home here than I ever did in Twickenham and we were there for 5 years. Realy easy to fit in.

And did I mention the tree frogs

Ax

Guest fairbloodydinkum

Cairns nth and sth would be one of the most beautiful places in the world...from waterfalls to rainforest to coral bays...beautiful....

as long as you don't mind the heat....it can be a killer...:)

Too right, it's amazingly beautiful. Yes it's hot, but honestly, it's fine, swam in the river today for a cool down, icy cold, crystal clear and just gorgeous. We sleep with the fan on now, have done for the last couple of weeks. Up to the start of December it wasn't too hot at night. Been up to 37 degrees in the last month, very unusual aparently, but mostly it's hovering around 32 which is fine so long as there is a breeze, which there usually is. I'll let you know how bad it gets once the wet season realy kicks in after Christmas, so far no problem.

• 5 years later...
Guest damon79

They are right about Dec to March, it can be a trialing time.

I found that the wet season is very different than what it used to be. Weather patterns are changing everywhere, including the tropics.

Then again, you make the small sacrifice of a few months of crazy a year for absolute bliss for the rest of the year.

They are right about Dec to March, it can be a trialing time.

I found that the wet season is very different than what it used to be. Weather patterns are changing everywhere, including the tropics.

Then again, you make the small sacrifice of a few months of crazy a year for absolute bliss for the rest of the year.

You can read more about (LINK REMOVED ADMIN.

It's sad that you're so desperate to publicise your website that you've joined this forum in order to resurrect 5-year-old threads...:wink:

Archived