ginger

Moving off a 457 visa onto pr

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone can give me some solid info on becoming a PR. I have read about a few ways to do this (ie: employer nominated) but am struggling with understanding the costs to me of each process. I have a wife and 3 young children also. Could anyone ouline costs etc... please. Even a rough ballpark figure would be a good starting point.

We have only been here 9 months so that may limit our choices.

Thanks in advance ginger

The rules have changed lots this last year or two and im really not on costs, i did however think you had to do at least 2 years on a 457 , but i could be wrong there too,lol.. Have you rang an agent to see what they think the cheapest and easiest way for you to get PR is?

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

I will speak to the guy who did my 457 but just thought that some people on here can help me decide.

Thanks Cal

This may help a litte. Bottom left corner. PR.jpg

PR.jpg

Hi,

I am currently in the same situation - I am 99% sure that you can only apply for PR once you have been here two years.

I will start working on the application in a couple of months time, as it takes a few months to pull together all the paperwork necessary

HTH

Nic

If you are eligible, then you can apply for PR anytime, there are several types of PR visas, but they will be changing on 1st July.

The staying for two years thing is so that you can apply for employer sponsored PR without needing to do a skills assessment, the two years may also be necessary for people who need more points for experience.

Thanks, I 'think' I am going to look into getting skills assessed and see what the costs are etc....

ginger

Really? Possibly a slightly dumb question, but how do I know if I am eligible?

Do I need to go to an immigration agency to investigate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

first place to look would be www.immi.gov.au have a read up on the types of visas available for skilled migrants. If you have any questions about specific terminology etc you know where to find us.

Or you can go to an agent. make sure they're MARA registered. they'll be able to give you the answers specific to your situation much quicker, but may cost you money.

Hi,

I am currently in the same situation - I am 99% sure that you can only apply for PR once you have been here two years.

I will start working on the application in a couple of months time, as it takes a few months to pull together all the paperwork necessary

HTH

Nic

Unfortunately you are not correct. Firstly PR is not a status you can apply for, you apply for visas gor Australia and some are permanent visas and some are temporary. If you qualify for one of the permanent visas youcan apply for it at any time regardless of how long you have beem on the 457. Conversely if you do not qualify for one of the permanent visas, two years on a 457 won't help.

The only relevance to two years on a 457 is it negates the need for skills assessment for the ENS visa, anything else is a myth.