and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest markjames81

Cost of Exporting & Importing Cars

Guest markjames81

Hello again guys

Following on from my previous thread about car insurance, I have been looking at the cost of buying a motor in Australia compared to England at a rate of 2.25

I think that you pay a lot more in Aus for a car compared to the UK.

So i am now looking into exporting a car from the UK. But I have to factor in the associated costs to see if it would be worth while or not.

Can any who has gone through this experience give me a guide as to the costs associated

along with time scales

Thanks in advance

Mark

I think the popular answer to this question is noone goes through with it because of the cost.The taxes at this end really bang the price up so look into it carefully.There are quite a few threads if you click search at the top ,they will give you a good idea

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

We were going to bring our car with us and we looked into it long and hard. In the end we decided against it due to the import taxes here.

Deb xx

Guest markjames81

Not encouraging signs so far then

I have worked out that I could get a 2004 30k miles Subaru Impreza WRX STI with prodrive performance pack, which is not available in Aus for £14K which at a rate of 2.25 is $31k. Now a similar car in Aus. would be around 42K.

Now I have a top end budget of around $40K to get a car which leaves roughly $9K or £4K to export it.

Will this be enough.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, i was looking at the same thing myself so i contacted our agent and she sent me the customs paper work covering what to do and its not good news. I only got as far as the import tax wich is a massive $12000 and if its a second hand car wich for us would most def be the case it has to be so clean you could eat your dinner of it and thats not just the paint work its the engine, tyres the lot. I have no idear what the shiping cost would be. Im glad the weathers good over in Oz because im going to be doing a lot of walking.

Guest John Sydney

Importing cars - an other problem is parts - if they don't sell the car or model in Australia getting parts will be a major cost. - Also Insurance (comp) would be thro the roof. What I think you you do is when you first arrive buy a ex Government Car at auctions these cars and generally about 2 years old with a max of 4o k on them so they are still covered by the Manufactures warranty - these cars a cheap and drive it around until you are settled then buy your dreams

Guest Impatient

John

great idea to get started, sounds pefect for my first 'Ute! Got any good links to Auction sites?

Imp

Guest markjames81
Hi Mark, i was looking at the same thing myself so i contacted our agent and she sent me the customs paper work covering what to do and its not good news. I only got as far as the import tax wich is a massive $12000 and if its a second hand car wich for us would most def be the case it has to be so clean you could eat your dinner of it and thats not just the paint work its the engine, tyres the lot. I have no idear what the shiping cost would be. Im glad the weathers good over in Oz because im going to be doing a lot of walking.

ok $12,000 is a bit too much with shipping costs on top of that. good god 12k. i could buy 2 cars for that in oz. thats rediculous. thanks for thr advice polkey. i will nip this in the bud early and waste no more time.

Guest John Sydney

Government Auctions

I found this site - but there must be others just type in "Car Auctions" into Google better add the City or State your interested in

Hi Guys, sorry for jumping in but my son had sent this one and there seems a lot of cars here, hope it helps

Carpoint.com.au

For transporting cars see the sticky thread on transport and shipping forum here. You must have owned it and driven it for 12 months to qualify as a personal import. For some cars it is worth it. Iron Chef is yer man.

So many wineries ......so little time :yes: