moving to Newcastle, NSW....HELP

Guest english

Hi MOC212, just wondering if you know wether that schooling fees has to be paid upfront or wether you can pay in installments?? Only just realised today that we would need to pay school fees! We were originally looking at Perth you see but 457 sponsorship not so readily available as in NSW.

Many thanks,

Hannah.

Hi, we got our fee waived as my husband wasnt earning enough to pay it but you can also pay in instalments. All they need is proof of income, not whar you have in savings.

Josie

Guest yoyobeaker

Hi all, my family and I are moving to Newcastle mid July. We are looking to live by the beach and was wondering what Port Stephens area was like for a 2 and 4 year old.

Thanks K

Guest Ptp113
Hi all, my family and I are moving to Newcastle mid July. We are looking to live by the beach and was wondering what Port Stephens area was like for a 2 and 4 year old.

Thanks K

Best beaches in Australia!

You could look at Catholic schools which are cheaper but you would need to be catholic.

No you wouldn't - many Catholic schools take non Catholics - my sons attend a Catholic school and we're non Catholic. If they have a place, then there's a good chance you'll be accepted. If there is a waiting list then Catholic families come first.

Guest H9hna
You could look at Catholic schools which are cheaper but you would need to be catholic.

No you wouldn't - many Catholic schools take non Catholics - my sons attend a Catholic school and we're non Catholic. If they have a place, then there's a good chance you'll be accepted. If there is a waiting list then Catholic families come first.

Many thanks Bob1....could I ask: Is it a huge difference in price between the catholic and non catholic?? also: do your children fit in well being non catholic?

Thankyou, H9hna.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lewd Vicar

Relieved to hear so many positive things about Newcastle. Our visit there for my interview was short but sweet.

My 457 was lodged on Monday and I will be working in Rutherford. My better 1/2 will be looking for work so will probably be looking to live somwhere between the 2 until we are settled.

Hopefully bump into some of you once we are on the ground.

Guest lemongirl

Hi all, we're moving to Newcastle as well! Due to flu out Aug 2nd, I can't wait, I'm so excited! I've never been to Newcastle, but DH is Aussie, and it's where he grew up. By some fantastic stroke of luck, he's been offered a terrific job there. He raves about the place. I think we'll end up living in Warner's Bay/Lakelands area. 25 minutes or so away from central Newcastle, and right on the lake :) The houses look really big, seems you get a lot more for your money there.

Guest Lewd Vicar

(B)limey, my 457 came through in 24 hours, so time to light the blue touchpaper.....

Does anyone know if Raymond Terrace is OK? It's within daily cycling range for me (Rutherford), but closish to Newcastle for my OH for job hunting. We've got a 4 yr old boy, so would be looking for convenient nursery provision too.

Ta.

Guest lemongirl
(B)limey, my 457 came through in 24 hours, so time to light the blue touchpaper.....

Does anyone know if Raymond Terrace is OK? It's within daily cycling range for me (Rutherford), but closish to Newcastle for my OH for job hunting. We've got a 4 yr old boy, so would be looking for convenient nursery provision too.

Ta.

According to my hubby who grew up near Newcastle, the only "bad" places are Gateshead and Windale. All the other suburbs are nice enough.

According to my hubby who grew up near Newcastle, the only "bad" places are Gateshead and Windale. All the other suburbs are nice enough.

Ha Ha Ha! We live in gateshead! But not had any trouble, our street is nice and quiet :)And we weren't in any position to be picky so we took the first house that we got, which was the 2nd house we applied for.

We did see some baaad houses whilst looking though so bear in mind that if it looks rough then it probably is :))

Raymond terrace is about half hour drive from rutherford, so not sure about the cycling, does your oh half drive or would it be public transport? I have just moved here 7 weeks ago from scotland so i can help with my very limited knowledge so far, can't help with nursery i'm afraid.

Guest Lewd Vicar

Hi gconnolly

We're coming out from Edinburgh :-D

We both drive, but will be shipping one car and buying/leasing one so will be a single car family for a wee while. Cycling will be a way of losing a few lbs of insulation and leaving the car for OH to job hunt.

Fair miffed I'll not be able to ship coments of the drinks cupboard out...better get to work on the laphroig, glenmorangie doublewood....

How are you finding it?

Yes cycling would be great for that, and ideal once the summer kicks in. Although it was 20 degrees today not bad for winter. My email is gpc_87@hotmail.co.uk if you have any more questions? With regards to your oh job hunt i would look into setting up an oz email address and update the cv before coming over...... sites like Seek, Careerone, jobs.com.au are some my oh used she has had some luck using those sites. Having transport is a major bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

No experience but there is good info on the best schools at:http://bettereducation.com.au/school/secondary/nsw/nsw_top_secondary_schools.aspxWe are moving from Edinburgh in October. Trying my hardest not to blow my brains out at the next 14 weeks of Pishin' rain to bear but I think I will manage! There is something nice on the horizon to keep me going! Have a 4 and 2 (almost) year old so we're looking at schools. The website above will also give you info on primary schools but Newie Grammer is Private. Mereweather is selective and about as good stats wise.Best of luck!Sx