moving to Newcastle, NSW....HELP

Guest english

Guest english

My hausband has been offered a job in Newcastle and we have to let them know by friday 11th May if we would like to take them up on the offer. Can anyone let me know anything about Newcastle?

Cost of Living,

lifestyle,

what to do with two kids aged aged 9 and 6,

which areas to look to rent in,

Anything would be appreciated as its such a big decision and we dont know much about Australia........

Thank you, Louise

Guest PBandJ

Well I can't help with the info- but wanted to say hi as we are in the same boat! We had visas granted Dec 2011 and just this week we accepted a job in Belmont, so we will be heading to Newcastle/surrounds in July with a 9 yr old girl and a 6 yr old boy. I too am now school/ area hunting etc etc etc. Interested to hear what replies you get- and we should stay in touch if you decide to take the plunge! Good luck!

I've never lived in Newcastle and there was a time when I looked down on the place - sorry Novocastrians for being a snob - but I have reformed. Along the Hunter Riverfront there has been much re-development and I was very impressed with all the restaurants and bars. Newcastle has a nice 'old town area' and beaches very close to the CBD too.

Look, it a city of about 200,000 to 250,000 not unlike where I come from in the UK - Southampton - so life can't be too bad there, and Sydney is about the same distance, possibly a bit further that London is from Southampton, if you want to go to shows/theatre.

I would not worry - I'd be very happy to move there now.

ps look on www.domain.com.au for some info on house/flat prices/rentals. I think the Sydney Morning Herald has a Newcastle version too.

[h=3]Newcastle News, sport and weather | Newcastle Herald[/h]

http://www.theherald.com.au/Similar

You have all the facilities you'd expect - hospitals, uni, etc, closer to Hunter Valley too than for Sydneysiders and nice coastal places like Nelson Bay.

I like it

Decent sized, honest town, it has its rough end but plenty that isn't rough. Economically it's only going to keep strengthening at the rate they are developing mines in the Hunter - there is a *massive* port expansion in the pipeline in Newcastle which will bring in the $

Nice old town bit, loads of facilities, as said it's close to the Hunter which I think is beaut countryside, also nice coastline round there - and much less busy and much less expensive than Sydney to boot (so living near the beach or a really short drive away is realistic whereas for many in Sydney it isn't). If you do want a day out in the city the train takes a couple of hours I think, similar time to drive, so quite possible to get to Sydney if you feel the need

We have a biggish project up in the Hunter and most on it live in Newcastle or Maitland and love it up there. They love the fact they're paying about half the rent they would be in Sydney as well........

Newcastle is a decent enough sized city, shopping is largely concentrated at Westfield Kotara and Charlestown. There are plenty of nice cafes and restaurants concentrated around Beaumont Street. Nicer areas to live are around Hamilton, Kotara, New Lambton Heights, Merewether and Adamstown, rougher areas are Mayfield and Islington, but even houses in these areas are starting to be renovated. There are plenty of lovely beaches in Newcastle and the surrounding area, including Stockton beach which you can 4WD on. Port Stephens and the Hunter Valley wineries are within an easy 1-2 hour drive. We lived in Newcastle for 2 years and didn't experience too many really hot days. Winter can be quite cool and wet. For the kids, like most Australian towns lots of sports, surf life saving, the beach, shopping.

Guest english
Well I can't help with the info- but wanted to say hi as we are in the same boat! We had visas granted Dec 2011 and just this week we accepted a job in Belmont, so we will be heading to Newcastle/surrounds in July with a 9 yr old girl and a 6 yr old boy. I too am now school/ area hunting etc etc etc. Interested to hear what replies you get- and we should stay in touch if you decide to take the plunge! Good luck!

Hi ya. My husbands company will apply for visa once we give them our answer. How long to they roughly take to come through? We still trying to figure out if we will be financially secure if we come over. Such a big decision to make in one week!

Guest english

Thanks everyone for your replys. I have gone through and made notes so hopefully we can make an informed decision!

Louise

Guest PBandJ

We are also really grateful for your feedback- thanks so much all. Hoping to arrive before end of July and settle kids into schools. Both the independent schools- Newcastle Grammar and Hunter Valley Grammar Schools look excellent as do the local primary schools in Merewether, Minmi and New Lambton- if we are able to get them in those???! Can't wait to get out there now! Next job flights and short term rental....

And let us know if you decide to take the opportunity Louise!

Edited by PBandJ

I live out in cessnock and despite only being here for a couple of months am really liking the hunter/Newcastle region. Whilst the cost of living is IMO slightly higher than the UK I measure everything as a percentage of my salary and am slightly better off, the beaches in Newcastle itself are wonderful. My only critism of the area would be the roads, not enough of them and the ones they do have are shocking!!

Guest PBandJ

We visited Sydney in December and thought the roads there were pretty bad! Thanks again for Newcastle info.

Newcastle not the place for me ! Nelson Bay very nice but boring after a while ! Newcastle is a very industrial area for coal etc, lot's of investment going around the docks area but I would n't work there ! I think you really need to visit there before accepting a job there ! We all have our own opinions and only you can decide if it's right for you !

Guest km75

We were hoping to get work in the Newcastle area, and if we were lucky enough to secure work we were looking at East Lake Macquarie, specifically, Caves Beach and Blacksmiths area. Newcastle is a lot more affordable than the big cities and has undergone a lot of redevelopment in recent years. I would jump at the chance of living there!

Newcastle is a decent enough sized city, shopping is largely concentrated at Westfield Kotara and Charlestown. There are plenty of nice cafes and restaurants concentrated around Beaumont Street. Nicer areas to live are around Hamilton, Kotara, New Lambton Heights, Merewether and Adamstown, rougher areas are Mayfield and Islington, but even houses in these areas are starting to be renovated. There are plenty of lovely beaches in Newcastle and the surrounding area, including Stockton beach which you can 4WD on. Port Stephens and the Hunter Valley wineries are within an easy 1-2 hour drive. We lived in Newcastle for 2 years and didn't experience too many really hot days. Winter can be quite cool and wet. For the kids, like most Australian towns lots of sports, surf life saving, the beach, shopping.

well said aussie abroad.

we live in maitland 1/2 hr drive inland (west) of newy. so 30 mins to the 2 above mentioned shopping centres and 30mins in the other direction to the hunter valley gardens and vineyards. it also places us at the top of the main freeway to take down to sydney (approx 2 hrs) and close to the new england highway which takes you up to coofs harbours and eventually queensland and surfers paradise (approx 8-9 hrs drive and home of the themeparks) ive drove quad bikes over stockton beach dunes (by an organised company) great fun. the resturants ive visited have been fair priced and clean. the irish pubs are lively (and sell beer in pints) the beaches are breath taking. spent australia day 2 years ago at nobbys beach in newy amazing day.

now i dont wish to speak out of turn but its down to personal choice where to live, if it was me i would be looking to have my home at least 15 - 20 mins out of newcastle. im sure others will post some of the better suburbs.

wherever you end up, we wish you all the very best :)

• 2 weeks later...

hi PBnJ,

We moved to jewells, near belmont (5min drive) in january and got my 10yr old daughter into a really good local school and she is loving it, it is Jewells primary and they take students from the belmont area.

For house hunting I would look at Belmont north and Jewells, or even Redhead as it is next to the beach and just gorgeous.

Any questions about the area just feel free to ask . xx

Josie

Guest MOC2012

Louise

We are heading out to Sydney in July, but a couple of points may help:-

- the company I am going to work for use an agent to process all the visa applications. They submitted ours last week (Tuesday) and they arrived back this morning. Much quicker than I thought.

- With regards cost of living, even though I am getting an improved Salary, I do not think we will be any better off. I was advised that you should try and get double your UK salary in dollars. ie £50k UK, $100k Australia. (Its not about money for us, its about quality of life)

- It is a massive decision, and all I would say is do not underestimate the impact it will have on family (excluding husband & kids). We have had many wobbles, and with each "dark" moment we have had to ignore all the outside influences, and kept coming back to the same question. "Will it be a better way of life for the immedaite family". It has alwasy been Yes

- I presume you will be coming out on a 457 visa, which means you will have to pay for schooling ($4500 per child per year)

- We have had quotes for furniture moving from £7k to £10k (8 to 10 weeks). You are able to rent furniture while you wait.

- Flights for family of 5 - Cheapest BA from Heathrow at $4100, but we will be using Emirates at £4500 from Manchester.

If you have any other questions, happy to help

Guest Ptp113

2nd best place I have lived in Oz and only just 2nd best. Best beaches, great wineries, top horse country etc etc. Place has a great vibe too. Definitely one of the best places to live here imo.

Guest PBandJ
hi PBnJ,

We moved to jewells, near belmont (5min drive) in january and got my 10yr old daughter into a really good local school and she is loving it, it is Jewells primary and they take students from the belmont area.

For house hunting I would look at Belmont north and Jewells, or even Redhead as it is next to the beach and just gorgeous.

Any questions about the area just feel free to ask . xx

Josie

Thanks Josie, flights now booked for 24th July, and OH starts work in Belmont on 5th September. So it's really happening! Have noted the locations for when we get there. Just found out that Newcastle was voted as one of the top 10 cities to live in last year! Guess all you Novocastrians knew that already...! looking forward to it x

Guest Ptp113
Thanks Josie, flights now booked for 24th July, and OH starts work in Belmont on 5th September. So it's really happening! Have noted the locations for when we get there. Just found out that Newcastle was voted as one of the top 10 cities to live in last year! Guess all you Novocastrians knew that already...! looking forward to it x

They do. We also used to water ski on Lake Macquarie and pull up at Wangi RSL, which is on the water, for an icy beer then ski back to Toronto. Used to scuba dive at night at Belmont Swansea bridge on the tide change, great memories.

Guest H9hna
Louise

- I presume you will be coming out on a 457 visa, which means you will have to pay for schooling ($4500 per child per year)

Hi MOC212, just wondering if you know wether that schooling fees has to be paid upfront or wether you can pay in installments?? Only just realised today that we would need to pay school fees! We were originally looking at Perth you see but 457 sponsorship not so readily available as in NSW.

Many thanks,

Hannah.