Guest Guest69235

Potential health risks of being a vegetarian

...it can make you fart a lot too. Nonetheless, the carbon footprint of a vege-diet must be pretty good?

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Guest littlesarah

It is possible to live healthily without eating meat, but it takes more thought to ensure a balanced diet that provides the necessary nutrients.

Shoving lots of meat into one's gullet at the expense of vegetables is none too healthy either!

Guest Guest69235

We are all essentially in agreement. The point I am trying to convey is that effort needs to be spent on ensuring a balanced diet. A vegetarian or vegan diet doesn't automatically translate into healthy living.

I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years and don't worry at all about 'balancing' my diet. In fact my diet is very unbalanced. However in my entire working life I have only had to take one day off work due to ill health.

While it is possible I just have a strong constitution I think it is odd that the people who 'warn' me about how unhealthy my diet is (and spent a lot of time and energy worrying about their own diets) are sick on a semi regular basis.

It's unfortunate that the vegetarian movement have shot themselves in the foot too with all this talk of balancing proteins, combining nuts and tofu at every meal or some such thing. It's been proven to be rubbish but the idea still sticks. Most vegetarians are ovo-lacto anyway which is of course animal protein. It's not as if vegetarians are keeling over in the streets on a regular basis is it? I believe Indian culture is mostly vegetarian too?

Anyway, the upshot of it is, I was veggie for four years and was perfectly healthy. Since I started eating meat again, oh, about a decade ago my health has steadily declined. Nothing magical about the health benefits of eating meat. Having said that, it's blooming delicious and I have no plans to stop eating it.

-CrimsonPetal

A vegetarian or vegan diet doesn't automatically translate into healthy living.

Yes. And neither does a meat eating one.

-CrimsonPetal

My friend used to be a vegetarian. She went to study human nutrition and started eating meat again, saying it was too expensive ( but possible) to replace all the nutrients that meat-eaters get. I like my steak.:wink:

IELTS: L 9, R 7.5, W 8.0, S 8.5 overall 8.5

Visa lodged June 27th!, CO July 26th

AHPRA sent July 2nd, LOE August 1st

Guest scrumpy

Ever butcher I have ever met is a very jolly chap indeed, a little plump but none the less happy and full of life.

Pop into a health food shop and you will meet some skinny drawn person who probably will not live any longer but it will sure feel like it!

Guest Guest69235
Yes. And neither does a meat eating one.

Agreed whole heatedly. I never said it does!!!

Guest Guest69235

OK here's a further thought. If all humans became vegetarians, how would we manage the wild multiplication of domisticated cattle?? They breed like crazy you know!!! Just interested in knowing everyone's thoughts here...

My daughter was a veg for a while but being a type 1 diabetic was advised that it was not a good diet for her to follow. So she now eats a lot of fish and white meat.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Although I only eat chicken or fish with no red meat I do understand that vegatarians do suffer from missed nutrients , read loads. Of articles and meat eaters and. Veggies on average live as long as each other.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..