Does it make sense to get skills assessed ahead of visiting? (IT, Perth, ACS)

benlast

Morning/afternoon/evening all

Situation: we're in the process of deciding if moving to Perth is the right thing for us. I'm an IT bloke (25+ years of consultancy, software development and systems engineering), and thus I've been looking at getting my skills assessed by the ACS (ASCO 2231-79 for a subclass 175 visa). We're going out to Perth in March 08 on a visit to family/recce trip and I'm wondering whether it makes sense to get my ACS assessment ahead of that trip, so that I could talk to potential employers.

Against that is the expense of the assessment: if we end up not moving, that's several hundred quid spent.

There's a little bit of time pressure here also: I'm 43 in January, so I'd have about a 18 months or so to get a visa application in if I leave it until after we visit.

So: how do employers (especially those in IT) tend to view this? I've heard comments like "don't bother talking to them without a visa because they'll only tell you to come back when you have one". I guess a fair amount depends on the IT/software/new media job situation in Perth...

Any comments/advice/experience welcomed!

Thanks

b

Guest BullcreekBob

G'day

Having your skills assessed by the ACS might be required by your visa application. However I don't know of, nor have I ever heard about employer giving a **** about ACS qualifications. What will matter to an employer is your degree, your experience and you.

I suggest you come over for your holiday and have a look around. While you're here talk to a few employers in your area of expertise. If one of them want to sponsor that'll be fine too. If no one wants to sponsor you, then look at other visa options and having an ACS skills assessment.

I first joined the ACS in 1980 and in more than 25 years of short term contracting or consulting no one has EVER asked about my ACS membership.

Guest Impatient

Depends:

if you know that your skills will be recognised by ACS then leave it until you are sure you want to press on, if you are not sure, then get it done soonest so that you don't set off on a dream without being sure it can be a reality. After all, it is only a coupl hundred notes....

Having your skills assessed by the ACS might be required by your visa application. However I don't know of, nor have I ever heard about employer giving a **** about ACS qualifications. What will matter to an employer is your degree, your experience and you.

Hi Bob; thanks for that. Yeah, I see the ACS purely as the skills assessment body for the visa, no more than that. Same as the BCS really... in 25+ years in this game BCS membership's never been relevant at all.

...if you know that your skills will be recognised by ACS then leave it until you are sure you want to press on, if you are not sure, then get it done soonest so that you don't set off on a dream without being sure it can be a reality. After all, it is only a coupl hundred notes....

Cheers... actually it's more than a couple of hundred (unless I do it all myself); the agent I'm talking to will do ACS and the Visa all together... and the ACS are allegedly buggers to please so I'd rather have the agent's help. But you make a good point; when compared to the cost of the visit it's pretty cheap!

Others (on other forums) have pointed out that the ACS can take ages to do their thing, so getting started early is a good plan. I guess I just need to make sure that I control costs and pay as I go (which I can do) so that there's not a huge sunk cost if the final decision is not to go.

Thanks, all

b

Your main application needs to be in before your 45. No-one can judge the time it takes for the whole tra and visa to be processed. Don't underestimate the length of time it will take you to get your tra stuff together - members on here have said it can take weeks/months to get everything together - plus you're coming up to xmas hols so no one is going to be doing much before new year. I say Get Cracking!!

Ali

Archived