Demerit points

Guest guest17301

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww sorry Fi, no but seriously now this is my opinion, the newer cars are so quiet and when you are doing 60kmp it seems really slow, I remember my old car and when I was doing say 70 I felt like I was zooming along.

But I do believe people who drive around alot for work have a higher chance as there are so many speed cameras around and I guess if you drive around a big area you have a very high chance of getting caught. I am not saying I don't go over the limit a little bit .

I will be honest and have to say I do 50 or 60kmp where ever it says and I never go over 40kmp in the school zones I have a fear of someone running out I know it sounds silly but in the lower speed limits I am very careful. When I am on the freeway I admit I might be closer to 110kmp and in an 80kmp zone I might nearly hit 90 but I do try to be careful most of the times. My Da droves around all over Perth for his job and has had a few over the last 10 yrs. I hope I made you feel beter Fiona xxxx

Cheers Laney xx

Edited by Irishgirl1

Guest guest17301
I think double demerits are unfair, but I don't think the roads are too slow. 80km is about 50 mph

But its only 80 kph on some huge roads!! In semi rural areas, 70 in some cases! I think you get pressured by other drivers to put your foot down too...

I have noticed, especially along the warringah(?) freeway from sydney city <-> north shore, most drivers are going above the limits albeit ~5-10kph. To keep up with traffic flow, its very difficult to maintain legal speeds.

Guest guest17301

I drive all day in my job, if I'm in an unfamiliar area its easy to go over without realising..am not the most observant driver on the road....the coppers dont give me an inch when I flash my badge! Swines....

I have noticed, especially along the warringah(?) freeway from sydney city <-> north shore, most drivers are going above the limits albeit ~5-10kph. To keep up with traffic flow, its very difficult to maintain legal speeds.

It's the hills in Sydney that make driving *at* the speed limit or below difficult......on some roads (Roseville Bridge on Warringah Rd, Archbold Rd in Lindfield/Killara spring to mind) it's virtually impossible to keep down to 60 when you're going down a 1 in 5 hill with people up your exhaust pipe I reckon. Never seen any cops there though

It's the hills in Sydney that make driving *at* the speed limit or below difficult......on some roads (Roseville Bridge on Warringah Rd, Archbold Rd in Lindfield/Killara spring to mind) it's virtually impossible to keep down to 60 when you're going down a 1 in 5 hill with people up your exhaust pipe I reckon. Never seen any cops there though

I know exactly what you mean, it doesn't help that I haven't figured out the difference between a police car and taxi until I'm almost on top of them :laugh: UK police cars are more obvious, with fluorescent markings.

What do you mean by this? I thought you had to change to Aus licence after 3 months.
Not sure about every other state but in NSW, you have to have been in Australia for an unbroken period of at least 6 months, therefore I will never get an Oz licence as I leave here every 3-4 months to go back to the UK for a couple of weeks, what a crap system that is!!! Can't even drive the fire truck and we are short on drivers been to the RTA and policy is policy, I now know why they still have wooden bridges here.....

Guest guest17301
I was caught speeding within 20 minutes of arriving , have been caught once since.

I take more care of the limits these days!

No wonder you hate it here!:tongue::wink:

But its only 80 kph on some huge roads!! In semi rural areas, 70 in some cases! I think you get pressured by other drivers to put your foot down too...

70km is still almost 45mph and most UK roads would have a 30mph speed limit for built up areas

Edited by ali

Guest guest17301

Yeah but its 50kph here in built up area which is less than 30mph isnt it? 70 or 80kph roads are equivalent of dual carriageways which were always 70mph weren't they...I cant remember now. I do remember the irish plod who gave me my 1st ticket told me the speeds were too slow here though!

Hi All

Ok i might be a dumb blonde pom, but is the demerit system the same as the UKs points system?

Not in Oz yet so not sure on the rules etc

Thanks

Lou

In WA, if caught commiting a traffic violation you can be issued demerit points aswell as an infringment. If you accunulate 12 demerit points you will loose your licrnce for 3 months, or you can participate in the double or nothing scheme to keep your licence. That is, do not commit a violation for 12 months, if uou do you loose your licence for double the original loss.