Mazzinoz

Useful info when moving to Australia

Hi Guys</SPAN>

I thought I would do my bit and offer any pearls of wisdom I can, with regards to moving over to Australia.</SPAN>

I have lived in Victoria, Western Australia, and Queensland now so have a taste of half the states……. This includes Cities & the Out-Back.</SPAN>

The family and I migrated on a 457 visa in 2006, then onto a Permanent visa, and now we have Citizenship; I have worked in the Automotive sector, the Rail sector, and am now working for the world’s largest mining company BHP Billiton.</SPAN>

We have rented and purchased homes over the last few years; and I have also been made redundant with time on the dole.</SPAN>

My wife and I have 2 children, Jake 12, and Emily 8.</SPAN>

I highlight all these points so that I can pass on what we have learned to you folks; it would’ve been great years ago to have someone to tell how things are, and much stuff costs, like a house, a car, a loaf of bread; not try and fob me off with a “well the average weeks shopping bill is around”</SPAN>

I have also noticed that some of the facts that have been passed along have been way off field…… Like being told that a $40k salary will see you and a family living the Aussie dream.</SPAN>

If I can help, I will.</SPAN>

Dave</SPAN>

Appreciate you taking the time to help out Dave.

From your experience, what are the easiest mistakes to make?

What would you do different if you had your time again?

IELTS 02/12 = 9's, AQF III 31/05/12, TRA Ass 14/11/12, EOI Submitted 14/11/12, Invite Received 15/11/12, 489 FS Lodged 29/11/12, CO Assigned 01/01/13, Meds 17/01/13 Grant 02/04/2013 189 Independent Visa Invitation 22/04/13, VISA GRANT 01/05/13

Arrived in Perth 09/10/13

hi,

maybe a good idea to put down some hints and tips for us all, which would helps us through our transition to Oz life

cheers

steve

Ok then</SPAN>

Hints, tips, and mistakes made…….</SPAN>

First of all, I was sponsored by a firm in regional Victoria for my 457 visa which makes it a hell of a lot easier to get here fast, but really ties you down for the three year contract.</SPAN>

I was let off because I was bullied by a fellow engineer, and reported it, so after 12 months I was free.</SPAN>

If I had my time over again I would have applied for the skilled migration visa, as there would have been no problem finding work to fit my skills; if you are looking to find a well paid position here in oz then you will have to get in to the mining or oil & gas industries, there is nothing else over here that pay like these two……. </SPAN>

That’s not to say that you will need to dig holes , or drill for oil, but if you can find something that is connected…..WOW! even the cleaners here are on like $90k.</SPAN>

I started in Ararat as an electrical engineer for a small firm on $55,000, then Moved to FPV (Ford Performance Vehicles) on $85,000 in Melbourne, now I am Senior Project Engineer with BHP Billiton over in WA, on over $200,000; I am showing this 5 year trend because it really does emphasize how with a little hard work, it is quite easy to make something of yourself in this beautiful red sun kissed land.</SPAN>

The $55k wage was workable in the little town of Ararat, which was a good 3 hours from Melbourne; but I don’t see many people on POMS IN OZ wanting to move anywhere else but to the big cities, this includes the outer suburbs.</SPAN>

If your combined family income is $100,000 or less you will be poor, the $85k that I was on with FPV was only good, because I was commuting the 3 hours each way to Melbourne every day.</SPAN>

Moving to a small town was a good move, they are well laid back and making friends is so easy as everybody knows each other, we found that everyone wanted to know the new POM’s (my wife still hasn’t forgiven me for taking her away from Ararat).</SPAN>

Big cities down-under are nothing like those in the UK, there is not the community spirit, for instance, an estate in a UK city will have a couple of pubs, a shopping center, and a school.</SPAN>

Here in OZ the cities are much closer to the US style, I think it may be because of the speed the country has grown.</SPAN>

I have seen peoples comments about the price of cars over here, well I call bull $hit, the wages are like 3 times those in the UK for the same job, and believe me the cost of living is in line with those wages…</SPAN>

Right cost of living; There are several supermarket chains around Australia, Coles & Safeway/Woolworths being the largest, for food prices check links below.</SPAN>

https://www.colesonline.com.au/</SPAN>

http://www.woolworths.com.au/</SPAN>

The main bone of contention for folks moving over, are the houses, coming over expecting sea views with a pool will not be happening guys, for anything shy of half a million……. Unless you are in woop woop (middle of nowhere) and to be honest pools are not as common as you may think, because of the fact that we are surrounded by bathwater warm oceans 10 minutes from home.</SPAN>

The houses are much bigger than those in the UK, but our gardens are tiny (think small terrace),you will also find the décor a little dated compared to the western styling.</SPAN>

One more note about pools, I have just moved out from our last house which had a big a$$ pool, it was back breaking labor to maintain, cleaning took hours every couple of weeks (the kreepy krauly only does so much) the bags of salt are heavy, and the Acid and chlorine are horrible when they splash over you.</SPAN>

My next house will not be having a pool.</SPAN>

OK then let’s talk redundancy; I was laid off by Ford in the July 2009 and didn’t find work until January 2010, this was not because there was no work, but because I wanted to get into the mining sector.</SPAN>

Anyway, the state will help you, just as the UK Gov will help you, but it is peanuts, and will not scratch the surface of the bills.</SPAN>

The banks and the utilities over here are very good, and dropped all of our payments down to almost nothing, while still accumulating in the background.</SPAN>

By the time I found a job over in WA, we had lost everything, after the sale of our house, the equity was taken to repay for all of the arrears, this included all the money from the house in the UK.</SPAN>

But at least they had not put us on the streets, I think they were very fair.

</SPAN>

I think that will do for now……. I am at work after all.

</SPAN>

Cheers guys </SPAN>

Thanks for the further advice Mazzinoz, much appreciated.

I cannot think of anything in particular to ask at the moment.

IELTS 02/12 = 9's, AQF III 31/05/12, TRA Ass 14/11/12, EOI Submitted 14/11/12, Invite Received 15/11/12, 489 FS Lodged 29/11/12, CO Assigned 01/01/13, Meds 17/01/13 Grant 02/04/2013 189 Independent Visa Invitation 22/04/13, VISA GRANT 01/05/13

Arrived in Perth 09/10/13