176 lodged May 2012

Jars

Yeh this sunshine thing is great, sitting on balcony chilling out here on the laptop - its fab :-)

We have our visa but still shivering away here, whilst you are basking in 35c ! Hoping robe over by end of May and would love to meet up with you guys then and you can give us the heads up on stuff :wink:

Lou

Hey folks

Been here 3 weeks today and very happy to be here near my family. Got most of the admin stuff like driver's license, medicare, bank sorted in my first few days, although the bank still haven't sent the debit card yet. Been on a few tours around the hinterland and coast to check out places to live and we loved the look of some. Will narrow it down in the next couple of weeks. Have the rental portfolio all ready to go.

Apart from the bad storms last weekend, the weather has been fabulous. Job hunting, which is hard when the schools are closing this week. Only one regional Science /Maths job advertised in the state system and one in the private sector in the whole of Queensland. Looking at other things too as they are definitely not short of teachers here.

I also survived my first spider bite. Not sure what spider it was but it made a 5 inch painful bruise around the main bite. I was a little nauseous for a couple of days. All good now. We cleared up a lot of leaf litter near the pool so I guess that's how it happened. Only a couple of mozzie bites so far. Normally they love me but not so much this time.

We haven't been to any of the theme parks yet as we have been a bit busy. We drove past Movie World /Dream World etc the other day and now my son is keen to go. We went to the test match against SA at the Gabba which was good.

I guess all you folks are in WA so no meet ups :(

All the best

Millie x

I have been one of the silent May group (because I have had nothing exciting to share since I got my visa) who has been living the dream vicariously through you guys that are already out there. It is so brilliant reading all your experiences since you have arrived and the NYCplanner manual on starting out was really good - when are you writing volume two?

If any of you are feeling even the slightest bit homesick I would just like to remind you how awful it is here at the moment:

mornings veer between being pitch dark and raining or pitch dark and bloody freezing (you know the drill, scraping the ice of the car - inside and out this morning! and then trying to see your way to work through the small area you were able to de-ice before your fingers lost all sensation and you had to give up)

evenings (see above)

The only time you get a chance to see daylight is at the weekend but you can't go anywhere because it is the usual weekend gridlock and queues compounded by the smug early Christmas shoppers.

I'm sure you guys have seen all the flooding that has happened in England as well.

So basically you are in the best place!

I have been one of the silent May group (because I have had nothing exciting to share since I got my visa) who has been living the dream vicariously through you guys that are already out there. It is so brilliant reading all your experiences since you have arrived and the NYCplanner manual on starting out was really good - when are you writing volume two?

If any of you are feeling even the slightest bit homesick I would just like to remind you how awful it is here at the moment:

mornings veer between being pitch dark and raining or pitch dark and bloody freezing (you know the drill, scraping the ice of the car - inside and out this morning! and then trying to see your way to work through the small area you were able to de-ice before your fingers lost all sensation and you had to give up)

evenings (see above)

The only time you get a chance to see daylight is at the weekend but you can't go anywhere because it is the usual weekend gridlock and queues compounded by the smug early Christmas shoppers.

I'm sure you guys have seen all the flooding that has happened in England as well.

So basically you are in the best place!

All the more reason to get down here ASAP! :) Scraping ice... definitely don't miss that. Ugh. Although I have to admit that it will be a bit strange having a summer Christmas/New Year's!

Happy to write a "volume two" if everyone finds it valuable!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi May gang, we made it!!!!!!

Spent our last week in the UK at my parents place near the Lake District and helping with my dad's 70th birthday party which was excellent and a good opportunity to say bye to extended family. Sunday couldn't stop crying, mostly because my 13 year old nephew wanted to have one last cuddle with his 10 month old cousin (oh my god, thinking about that set me off every two seconds). But after a very early start on Monday morning, we arrived in Sydney on Tuesday night to start out Aussie adventure. We're now staying on the east coast for Xmas and January with family before heading down to Melbourne where we plan to settle. So definitely interested to hear from anyone already there.

Still kind of feel like we're on holiday but suppose that's not a bad way to think about things for a couple of weeks over the festive period and I'm glad we're spending it with family. It's weird to be here after spending so much time on the application and other than a slight bit of confusion over my maiden/married name at immigration we walked straight in. As with the visa grant, I think I expected some kind of fanfare and grand 'Welcome to Australia'. It's funny isn't it.....

Well the sun's out where we are so hope things are good wherever you are.

Hi May gang, we made it!!!!!!

Spent our last week in the UK at my parents place near the Lake District and helping with my dad's 70th birthday party which was excellent and a good opportunity to say bye to extended family. Sunday couldn't stop crying, mostly because my 13 year old nephew wanted to have one last cuddle with his 10 month old cousin (oh my god, thinking about that set me off every two seconds). But after a very early start on Monday morning, we arrived in Sydney on Tuesday night to start out Aussie adventure. We're now staying on the east coast for Xmas and January with family before heading down to Melbourne where we plan to settle. So definitely interested to hear from anyone already there.

Still kind of feel like we're on holiday but suppose that's not a bad way to think about things for a couple of weeks over the festive period and I'm glad we're spending it with family. It's weird to be here after spending so much time on the application and other than a slight bit of confusion over my maiden/married name at immigration we walked straight in. As with the visa grant, I think I expected some kind of fanfare and grand 'Welcome to Australia'. It's funny isn't it.....

Well the sun's out where we are so hope things are good wherever you are.

Yay!! Enjoy your new life in Oz - it really is fantastic and I'm sure you will all be very happy here :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Happpppyy New Year to all !!!

Finally got our Visa... on 31st Dec. Was an endless loop of Police verification across 5 countries. The visa was granted within 24 hrs of the last verification report being uploaded. Planning a validation visit somewhere in next 3 months & plan to move to Perth with my current employer thereafter.

Cheers!

Hey May Gang!!

Heard that most of you are already in Australia, mainly Perth don't you? Well, my OH & I are departing in March 19th from Bolivia to Perth. Many things have happened, most important I have just finished my job and now preparing everything for our destination journey. I was checking the rental market which found quite difficult currently. Some ideas on how to aim this seek?

I know about domain, realstate, reiwa, and on the other hand there are airbnb and gumtree. We were thinking on getting a furnished place for about a month or two, time enough to get to know Perth better and find a more long term place to stay. However, I found that it's not possible to rent online, I mean it is necessary that we are there, visit the place and apply for the apartment, unit, or whatever. On the other hand, those rentals don't go under 400$/week considering 1-bedroom apartments (which is sufficient for us, it's just the both of us) which is REALLY EXPENSIVE for us. Anyway, the first step is to find a furnished place for at least a month and I only found that on airbnb and gumtree, those prices are usually higher than non-furnished places and usually published with daily prices (I mean short term stays). Most self-contained places (still talking on 1-bedroom) are around 100$/day which means 700$/week, its really crazy!

Frankly, we are kind of worried on that situation, even more considering that we still don't have job offers yet. I am a civil engineer with 7+ years of experience and y wife 4+ (but she doesn't has the Engineers Australia skill recognition yet). So, please any advice on how to start this new life in Perth? I know once getting a job everything should be easier but that it's gonna take a while so, being practical, what would be the best way to find an affordable furnished place of the both of us?

I am starting to think that a double bed room with the other facilities shared in a house will be the best (found it on airbnb at around 400 $/week all services included) but is that webpage reliable? They ask about 6-12% of the total rental price for them, and the property owners seem pretty honest for me.

Best to all of you starting a life in Oz, how are you doing? Please, share something!

I am starting to think that a double bed room with the other facilities shared in a house will be the best (found it on airbnb at around 400 $/week all services included) but is that webpage reliable? They ask about 6-12% of the total rental price for them, and the property owners seem pretty honest for me.

Best to all of you starting a life in Oz, how are you doing? Please, share something!

We used Airbnb and I highly recommend it. Our rental was exactly as advertised and Airbnb is a pretty legit site so if, for some reason, something goes wrong, they'll be able to handle it for you.

Hey Pablo

Not long now. I have used Airbnb several times and it has always been fantastic. Some places get booked up fast so it's worth booking well in advance to get what you really want. I don't think it has quite taken off in Australia yet as there are still not many properties. It's certainly something I would look at doing once I purchased a property.

All the best

Millie x

Happpppyy New Year to all !!!

Finally got our Visa... on 31st Dec. Was an endless loop of Police verification across 5 countries. The visa was granted within 24 hrs of the last verification report being uploaded. Planning a validation visit somewhere in next 3 months & plan to move to Perth with my current employer thereafter.

Cheers!

Congratulations!!!

Millie x

good point Jars! Full birth certificate, I'll have to sort mine today. I am hoping to join the May crowd but I've seen Vic SS take from 5 - 13 weeks

Hi,

I have applied on 8th May, 2012. CO 31 May, 2012. After that no response. My category is 176. Skilled independent ( NSW sponsored).

The CO didnt ask me to upload medical results. Do I need to provide medical result by myself without being asked? And do I need to fill up 'character assessment' that came into my online application? My case officer confirmed me that form 80 is enough for that. Thanks a lot.

Manzur

The status for these documents is changed by the case officer, once the CO is satisfied by the documents provided. But it has been seen sometimes that people have received grants , even with the document status set to "required". So it depends on the CO , some take their own sweet time to change the status. As for Form 80 and 1221 it depends on the case officer, some people are asked to fill it and some don't . Meanwhile upload the work experience documents, as they will be for sure asked by the CO , even though they are not requested in the initial document checklist.

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

Hi,

I have applied on 8th May, 2012. CO 31 May, 2012. After that no response. My category is 176. Skilled independent ( NSW sponsored).

The CO didnt ask me to upload medical results. Do I need to provide medical result by myself without being asked? Online shows 'required' for Federal police and medical. Everything else is met. CO asked for Resume. Gave it - and then now it shows 'received'. And do I need to fill up 'character assessment' that came into my online application? My lawyer confirmed me that form 80 is enough for that. Thanks a lot.

Manzur