176 lodged May 2012

Jars

Hi guys,

Well we have arrived! The flight was long and tiring but singapore airlines were great and the food was plentiful and very tasty!

We landed at 1am Perth time, got to the apartment and slept till 1pm in the afternoon! It's a bank holiday in Perth today so took a walk to shenton park shopping village, had a coffee in Lawleys, and did some basic food shopping. Then went for a walk in kings park which is just accross the road - beautiful. And to top it all, the weather is amazing today.

Jars should also be here by now. Meeting up with her and the family on Saturday. Hoping to meet up with Fergamy too - hint hint. Look forward to more of the May team arriving in due course.

Speak soon xx

Welcome to perth, you definately came at the right time, it rained all week last week. Were up for meeting up, let me know when and were x

Hi all, we arrived in Perth on Monday and love every second of it!! The day we arrived it was 34 degrees but after that it was a lot cooler, which is good as it helps us to get used to the heat. We used this week purely as a holiday break, so the hard work starts next week again looking for jobs, cars, house, registering with medicare, TFN etc etc etc. Perth is beautiful and is everything we hoped it would be. We live in Waikiki / Rockingham and love it down here! We have no desire to be any closer to the city (not city people at all!!!) but I guess it will depend where we end up getting jobs. The only downside is that the 'better' high schools all seem to be NOR so there are a lot to think about and to research before we settle in one area. But for now, we are loving it.

I haven't been on here for a few months and am just delighted to read that we have our first May gang arrivals. That is just brilliant, good luck and keep us all updated. Also just wanted to let you know:

We got our visa yesterday.....!!!!!!!! OMG what an epic story it has been with us being piggy in the middle of various disputes (none to do with us directly) and I think we may be the first people ever to have had to write our own skills assessment letter but there you go life is never boring with us around. Hoping to get the house on the market asap and get moving.

We have been away for a few days and just got back late last night so I haven't had a chance to read back a bit on this thread - is that all of us in May now granted?

I haven't been on here for a few months and am just delighted to read that we have our first May gang arrivals. That is just brilliant, good luck and keep us all updated. Also just wanted to let you know:

We got our visa yesterday.....!!!!!!!! OMG what an epic story it has been with us being piggy in the middle of various disputes (none to do with us directly) and I think we may be the first people ever to have had to write our own skills assessment letter but there you go life is never boring with us around. Hoping to get the house on the market asap and get moving.

We have been away for a few days and just got back late last night so I haven't had a chance to read back a bit on this thread - is that all of us in May now granted?

Congratulations Lara24:laugh::jiggy::biggrin: that's great news!

And great also to hear of the new May Gang arrival's in the Land of OZ-so envious given the weather here but so pleased for you all thanks for keeping us updated everyone :)

we are not there until November but would love to meet up with everyone when we get there...

Subiaco, what a lovely place, we liked to go there on a Sunday, dont they have an indoor market there!!!

If you dont mind me asking, how long did it take from finding a place to been aloud to move in, and what exactly is the process of it...

hey sorry for late reply, didn't see some of the messages on here. So basically we looked at a good few places our first week, some were awful some were nice, the process is that theres generally a set viewing time on a certain day and you go view it along with other folk and then you submit your application if you want to apply for that particular place and wait a response. How we found ours was in the newspaper, it was privately advertised and not by real estate so we had a private viewing and dealt with landlord directly. now we still had to submit an application but weren't up against a lot of people and they did personal reference checks, employment checks etc but we were able to move in straight away. The news paper we looked in was the West Australian which comes out on a saturday so have a look at that as we saw another place but just wasn't the location we wanted.

There is an indoor market here alright but we didn't get to it yet. Theres an outdoor market in Subi on a saturday which is pretty cool. Keep us posted on your arrival and we can meet up!!!! Enjoy the rest of the planning before the move!

Fergamy - Would be interested to hear more about Subiaco. I have booked my accommodation for jan and can't wait. Starting to sort through all my stuff now and wondering whats the dress code like for interviews bearing in mind that I will be arriving in the middle of summer. Will I bring a few suits?

hey there sorry for delayed response!!!!! We are loving subiaco so far, its so convenient to everything, the shops, the train, the city, not far a drive to beach etc!!! I had interview before i left home and it was video interview for one of the banks here. When i was offered the job i asked the HR mgr what was dress code and she said it wasn't suit-y so i didn't bring any. I just wear dresses, or skirt and top. In my office some wear suits, some just wear trousers and top, some skirts and top and some dresses, a mixture!!! What do you work at? If you haven't a job before arriving, the i would bring a suit for interviews definitely and then take it from there!!! The offices are air conditioned so i find it a bit cold in office and prob be like that in summer albeit i'll be sweating once i leave the air-con during the summer no doubt hahaha. How are your plans, are you getting excited??

Hi all, we arrived in Perth on Monday and love every second of it!! The day we arrived it was 34 degrees but after that it was a lot cooler, which is good as it helps us to get used to the heat. We used this week purely as a holiday break, so the hard work starts next week again looking for jobs, cars, house, registering with medicare, TFN etc etc etc. Perth is beautiful and is everything we hoped it would be. We live in Waikiki / Rockingham and love it down here! We have no desire to be any closer to the city (not city people at all!!!) but I guess it will depend where we end up getting jobs. The only downside is that the 'better' high schools all seem to be NOR so there are a lot to think about and to research before we settle in one area. But for now, we are loving it.

hey jars, welcome, how are you guys doing? We took halfday from work yesterday to get our medicare and drivers license sorted so couple of things ticked of the list. Hopefully we'll all meet up soon to see how its going for everyone!!!!! will be great to put faces to names!!!

SUPER congrats, great news!!! Hopefully you'll sell up quickly and get over asap!!! I look forward to hearing of your story of skills assessment letter :-) Never a dull moment in the visa application thats for sure!!!!!

Hi May Gang, Another little update for you. Been here a week tomorrow, and all it's done is rain. Warm but rainy, bring coats and brollies, but it doesn't last long until the sun comes out to play. Still cool in the evening so jumpers/cardigans still needed inside these big houses. However at the w/end its changing to 28-31, plus it's a bank holiday on Monday. Perth's Royal show on from this w/end for 10days, so definatly worth a look. Had 2 rental viewing today, 1st ok, 2nd was a tip. and wanting $530 a week. So still looking. Hope evryones plans are going good and the few that are coming out soon good luck. Catch you down under!!

hey shelly hows things? did you find rental place. we found ours from the newspaper West Australian, comes out every saturday, have a look at it!! we found 2 places on it that were nice and privately advertised and we ended up taking one of them. Hope you're settling in ok and hopefully we can all meet up soon!!!

Whereabouts are you? Fancy meeting up in CBD? Or Lawleys in Shenton Park? X

hey there, pm'd our numbers so if you fancy meeting up next week or something let us know, lovely sunny day today, went for a nice walk down at Cottesloe beach, this is the life!!!!

hey there, pm'd our numbers so if you fancy meeting up next week or something let us know, lovely sunny day today, went for a nice walk down at Cottesloe beach, this is the life!!!!

Hey,

Not ignoring you Amy - just been sooo busy. Will text you this week to sort something out.

Met up with Jars and her family at the weekend for our first Aussie BBQ - had a lovely day. Also my first experience of a kangaroo burger - very nice.

Hey,

Not ignoring you Amy - just been sooo busy. Will text you this week to sort something out.

Met up with Jars and her family at the weekend for our first Aussie BBQ - had a lovely day. Also my first experience of a kangaroo burger - very nice.

Haha no worries, i knew ya weren't ignoring me, its crazy when trying to settle in and sort stuff out, i know!!!

BBQ sounded like fun, mind you not sure about the kangaroo burger!!! I tried the kangaroo my first week here and i kept thinking of poor Skippy so couldn't eat it hahahaha.

Give me a text whenever you have time to meet up anyway, chat soon :-)

two and 1/2 weeks until we fly to Brisbane

Millie x

Wow Millie, it's been a long time coming huh! Can you believe it's actually happening? We keep pinching ourselves - loving it out here :-) Good luck with the last couple of weeks!

Hey

We're going to Sydney for 3 weeks to validate our Visa and have a look around.

Arriving at 7am on Christmas day.

I think we're on our own from the gang, going to Sydney.

We're staying in a rental in Killarney Heights.

Trying to get a plan of action going on where to visit.

I'm loving reading about so many of you that have already made the move.

Not the best that we are having to validate, we would have liked to be moving.... very excited about our big holiday though.

Talie

Wow Millie, it's been a long time coming huh! Can you believe it's actually happening? We keep pinching ourselves - loving it out here :-) Good luck with the last couple of weeks!

Thanks for the good wishes Jars

I won't actually believe it until we touch down to be honest Jars. This time last year it all seemed so out of reach and I was beginning to think it wasn't possible. Now I am not even feeling remotely upset about selling or ditching half my worldly goods because it is after all just 'stuff'. :smile:

Millie x