Graphic Designer from London - looking for sponsorship opportunity

Guest Nick Corke

Guest Nick Corke

Hi all,

Just got back to England from travelling and realised this is not for me. I'm looking to do the move to Aus. Having worked in London for 5 years, at a packaging branding company. If anyone knows anybody or got any tips that would be great. I am free and easy looking to do the move this year (sooner rather than later). I've contacted several recruitment agencies and design companies already.

A question I would ask is - would it be better if I get a work visa and head over with my portfolio under my arm?

Cheers,

Nick

Guest Guest31881

Hi.

Welcome to PIO,

I have moved your post to the Migration forum, where you may get more answers to your questions.

I would suggest that the first thing to do is to make sure you can qualify for a visa. Take a look at the immigration visa wizard... http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/ and see if that helps, you could also try looking at the online assessments that are carried out by some migration agents. "Go Matilda & Visa Bureau" are two reputable companies that spring to mind, they do online assessments and then they will give you a short chat on the phone to discuss options and tell you what would be involved. Then you can decide to use an agent or go the DIY route for your visa. There are plenty of members on here who will advise and help with what is needed to complete your application.

Good luck with your visa adventure.

• 5 months later...
Guest Charliesbloom

Hi there

Not sure you will get this as your post has been moved? But anyway...

I am a Graphic Designer looking for sponsorship too...I came back from Australia this August having spent a year out there. I filled two Graphic Design positions the whole time I was there on short term contracts, so was unable to get the sponsorship i was after.

In my opinion going on a working holiday for a year is the best option. It gives you a chance to see the country, network with as many people as you can and enjoy being away from rainy old England! I spent 6 weeks in Asia before landing in Oz, equipped with an online portfolio of work and a few contacts I had given to me for work. Since I didn't find a company to sponsor me within the first 6 months I decided to do the farm work in order to be granted a second year visa. So I went off to WA and earnt loads of money for 3/4 months. Hard work but at least I can have another pop at it now! Im off back to Aus in February for another year so hoping this time I can dedicate 12 months to finding that foot in the door moment!

Hope the search goes well for you mate!